You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Russia World Cup 18

Bjornebye

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you put an accumulator on England to beat Tunisia , Panama, Colombia* & Sweden I don’t think you’d win much, my point is they are as far away as ever, semi final or not locks

*they didn’t beat Colombia

Of course England beat Columbia, they beat them on pens. Makes you sound like an Evertonian saying we didn’t beat Roma in 1984 or Milan in 2005!

I thought Perišić was terrible until he scored and felt Croatia were on the ropes in the first half. Didn't think they had much of a game plan themselves. They are just incredibly tough and resilient.

I think their players are technically brilliant.

And yes, their energy and drive after the equaliser was tough and resilient.  

More than that, I thought for a side in its 3rd consecutive period of extra time, it was inspired.

Alli showed again that he can be rattled. There was a bit of play where he'd had a little scuffle with some Croatian players and in that flustered moment, tried to take a quick free kick without really looking up. The ref pulled it back as he hadn't blown the whistle after sorting out the scuffle. 

Little did he realize that Pickford had run up to take the free kick (from England's defensive half), meaning he was only a couple of yards from Alli at the time he attempted the initial quick free kick. That ball went to a teammate, but there were a number of Croatian players in the vicinity. Even an errant second pass and Pickford was still 30 yards from an open goal with no defenders covering. 

It all happened quite quickly, but in that moment he completely lost the plot and was fortunate the ref called it back. 

Of course England beat Columbia, they beat them on pens. Makes you sound like an Evertonian saying we didn’t beat Roma in 1984 or Milan in 2005!

Dry your eyes, mate. I know it's hard to take but FIFA's mind is made up. Plenty more tournaments in the sea.

By far and away my favourite moment of the night. Any chance of an animated gif of Dejan poleaxing Dribble-chin, Camrac?

rTwU2AF.jpg

aeK70Vz.jpg

The Independent match report. Just bypass the report and head to the comments section for some amusement.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/world-cup/england-vs-croatia-final-score-world-cup-2018-goal-highlights-video-a8443081.html

The Independent match report. Just bypass the report and head to the comments section for some amusement.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/world-cup/england-vs-croatia-final-score-world-cup-2018-goal-highlights-video-a8443081.html

rob 2 hours ago
As expected. Meet the first good team in this competition and even qualifiers and its curtains. England have been like an average boxer whose path to the prize fight had been carefully laid out with with second rate opponents to make him look good. We should be realistic, England wont ever win the world cup because they will always have to come up against a world class team before the final. Its going to be 4th place

Word.

They should change the format of the WC to the one used in that Nike advert a few years back. Three-a-side played in a cage on a converted oil tanker. One rule - first goal wins. Losers have to jump off the ship and swim home. Just park it in the middle of the Pacific.

They should change the format of the WC to the one used in that Nike advert a few years back. Three-a-side played in a cage on a converted oil tanker. One rule - first goal wins. Losers have to jump off the ship and swim home. Just park it in the middle of the Pacific.

If it means bringing back Zidane, Figo and the fat Ronaldo then I’m all in.

• Upvote 1

Thought England played really well first half but then after that they were poor and ended up reverting to type and playing long balls.

I’d expect them to get better over the next few years if they keep on the same path.

This 3rd/4th place game needs binning off; I want our lads back now.

• Upvote 1

Managers fault as it nearly always is. Bad decisions didn’t cost him earlier because they played against poor opposition in nearly every game. In the end he picked the same players and didn’t sub them early enough in other games so they were fucked. Shouldn’t have continued to pick Sterling because he was shite in every single game. Shouldn’t have picked Alli because he couldn’t run. Shouldn’t have played 3 at the back because it didn’t suit the players. All of this came to the fore playing against the first half decent side who they played against. It’s easy creating angles against league one players. Even still apart from Modric and Rakitic player for player England have the better players. They should be beating them if they are set up the right way and play well.

In reality they hardly created any chances all tournament and were relying on set pieces against far weaker teams. This should have set alarm bells ringing for Southgate but it didn’t. Now we are going to have 2-4 years of this laughable formation and first 11 which will get us nowhere. He’s clearly already got his untouchables which was one of the main problems the managers created in the last generation. Absolute joke how people have got carried away with this. They’ve underperformed again.