You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2017 Transfer Thread

Anubis

Had Ancelotti not fucked up in the group stages, they would have gotten to the semis at least. If they then go out to Real you maybe can say fair enough. Squads are about equal I would say. So that means the tactical mastermind that is Zidane>Ancelo.

I'm not sure how the group stages make a difference, I thought the last 8 of the champions league was an open draw, so it doesn't matter how you get there? The idea any team should expect to be in the final of any cup competition, to me seems to miss the idea of a cup.

I don't think he liked Manchester at all. Seemed to spend all his free time in Amsterdam.

Can't blame him for not liking Manchester to be fair. Maybe we should sign him.

Have we signed Ancelotti then? reading the last 2 pages it would appear Klopp has been sacked

The joys of consequence free analysis.

Klopp was the be all and end all for us but we're already seeing the murmurings of discontent and 'who's next' (very minor at this stage, granted, but it never tends to decrease).

Same happens with players.

The question throughout this thread should be what we need rather than who otherwise it's just a popularity contest.

You say we need a Midfielder and you'll get a name for every type of midfielder on the spectrum, you narrow it down to what attributes we need and you could probably exclude 90% of them.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

We just need top quality players because we are basically shite,from back to front just go and have a good go in the transfer market and spend a few bob,it's plain to see and needs sorting.

We can band names around all day long but most fans know when you buy someone who will improve the team and we need quite a few.

I've said it before but if we can't get Brandt/Costa/Moura I would be happy to see us go to Lyon to buy Memphis Depay.

Before you laugh me out of the room remember that he was our first choice over Firmino that summer and while he didn't do well under Mourinho he wouldn't be the first attacker that's happened to. This is his radar for Lyon this season (and if you don't understand these, the short version is - this is absolutely amazing):

C_SeFKNWsAA0RtA.jpg

H/T to Ted Knutson. That is almost jaw-dropping good. Plus imagine the extra motivation he'd have to come shove it right down Jose's and United's throats for never giving him a chance.

I don't care what an overhead view of a circus tent says.

We just need top quality players because we are basically shite,from back to front just go and have a good go in the transfer market and spend a few bob,it's plain to see and needs sorting.

We can band names around all day long but most fans know when you buy someone who will improve the team and we need quite a few.

Just need top quality players doesn't really answer it though does it?

Plenty of top quality players have moved to clubs and failed or been underwhelming because, despite their quality, they don't fit what the team needs.

We've probably had our fair share.

I'm not sure how the group stages make a difference, I thought the last 8 of the champions league was an open draw, so it doesn't matter how you get there? The idea any team should expect to be in the final of any cup competition, to me seems to miss the idea of a cup.

Will you leave your facts out of my Carlo bashing please. It is a monday ffs!

• Upvote 1

Just need top quality players doesn't really answer it though does it?

Plenty of top quality players have moved to clubs and failed or been underwhelming because, despite their quality, they don't fit what the team needs.

We've probably had our fair share.

I had completely forgotten until a few days ago that Sahin played for us. Great pedigree with Real and Dortmund. I reckon Klopp would have gotten a much better tune out of him.

I had completely forgotten until a few days ago that Sahin played for us. Great pedigree with Real and Dortmund. I reckon Klopp would have gotten a much better tune out of him.

He seemed to know which position he played which would have been a great start.

I've said it before but if we can't get Brandt/Costa/Moura I would be happy to see us go to Lyon to buy Memphis Depay.

Before you laugh me out of the room remember that he was our first choice over Firmino that summer and while he didn't do well under Mourinho he wouldn't be the first attacker that's happened to.  This is his radar for Lyon this season (and if you don't understand these, the short version is - this is absolutely amazing):

C_SeFKNWsAA0RtA.jpg

H/T to Ted Knutson.  That is almost jaw-dropping good.  Plus imagine the extra motivation he'd have to come shove it right down Jose's and United's throats for never giving him a chance.

I'm guessing you haven't really watched him play for Lyon, have you?. These stats clearly don't tell the whole story, probably not even a third of it. You can have a look at the Lyon's fans forum if you can read french (or a quick google translate would do the job). Let's just say they have very mixed feelings about him. Long story short, still brainless with a couple of youtube moments to mask 85 mins of poor decision making.

http://forum.olweb.fr/showthread.php?156117-Memphis-Depay/page50&s=0c21723f8d26658fe053f0107c5253d4

If we are to sign an failed ex-manc winger, I would probably rather have Zaha than him.

Before you laugh me out of the room remember that he was our first choice over Firmino that summer and while he didn't do well under Mourinho he wouldn't be the first attacker that's happened to.  This is his radar for Lyon this season (and if you don't understand these, the short version is - this is absolutely amazing):

C_SeFKNWsAA0RtA.jpg

H/T to Ted Knutson.  That is almost jaw-dropping good.  Plus imagine the extra motivation he'd have to come shove it right down Jose's and United's throats for never giving him a chance.

That looks like Bullys prize board.

Innnnnnn one- a microwave oven

bully-logo-sm-background-300x286.jpg

• Upvote 1

That looks like Bullys prize board.

Innnnnnn one- a microwave oven

bully-logo-sm-background-300x286.jpg

If only the prizes were as useful as a microwaved oven. I vaguely recall prizes like teasmades and speedboats.

The question throughout this thread should be what we need rather than who otherwise it's just a popularity contest.

You say we need a Midfielder and you'll get a name for every type of midfielder on the spectrum, you narrow it down to what attributes we need and you could probably exclude 90% of them.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Luckily that seems to be Klopps thinking hence the lack of activity. That doesn't necessarily forgive his lack of pragmatism but you'd swear our last three managers weren't an ex Swansea manager wet around the ears, a heart breakingly past it Kenny and the fucking Owl. All of which oversaw recruitment that would make Souness wince.

• Upvote 1

I'm guessing you haven't really watched him play for Lyon, have you?. These stats clearly don't tell the whole story, probably not even a third of it. You can have a look at the Lyon's fans forum if you can read french (or a quick google translate would do the job). Let's just say they have very mixed feelings about him. Long story short, still brainless with a couple of youtube moments to mask 85 mins of poor decision making.

http://forum.olweb.fr/showthread.php?156117-Memphis-Depay/page50&s=0c21723f8d26658fe053f0107c5253d4

If we are to sign an failed ex-manc winger, I would probably rather have Zaha than him.

No, I have to admit I don't watch the French league at all.  Interesting to hear, I was a bit surprised at how good those stats are and thought it would be an intriguing move.

I'm still going mostly on how good he was in the Eredivisie.  When he moved to the Mancs I remember thinking it was an absolute can't-miss transfer, if such a thing exists.  He looked for all the world like the next Cristiano Ronaldo, same package of pace, power and balance and a bit of the same arrogance.  Then LVG/Mourinho absolutely crushed whatever nascent talent he had in formulating their defensive systems and I thought he might be an interesting one for us to look at.

Of course, I'd never advocate us buying him if we have the option to get Costa, Moura, or Brandt.  Those are clearly lower-risk players.  I was just thinking that Depay might have been of interest if those players went elsewhere and it was down to him or, say, Quincy Promes or something.

• Upvote 1