You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Philosophy

memyselfandpie

I've never been attracted to any of the "what's real and what is not" stuff.  (It doesn't matter outside the Gates of Eden.)  But I quite like the idea - if I had enough time - to navel-gaze over the origins, meaning and purpose of morality.

Justice by Michael Sandel is a handy introduction to various ways of thinking about the subject.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justice:_What%27s_the_Right_Thing_to_Do%3F

I'm reading Nietzsche's Human, all too human at the minute and it's sparking off so many thoughts. Who/what have you found that you think is worthy of investigation?

Sartre, Foucault, Wittgenstein. Of those only Wittgenstein is a typical philosopher.  The others are very readable.  None are as good as Nietzsche though. 

You should read, On the Genealogy of Morals next.  It covers some of the same stuff but in narrative rather than aphoristic style.  I found it helped seeing the same ideas from a different perspective, and it gives you an insight into some of his other stuff you may have missed otherwise.  

• Upvote 1

Like Freud, Nietzsche is a must read if you learn from the questions he asks and reject all the conclusions.

God is Alive?  For you have resurrected him?

Reject? The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently?

Reject? The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

I had you pegged as a dancing star.

God is Alive?  For you have resurrected him?

Reject? The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently?

Reject? The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

I had you pegged as a dancing star.

That stuff was trite to me because I was always a maverick. Marx has been far more influential for me of late. 

That stuff was trite to me because I was always a maverick. Marx has been far more influential for me of late.

Yeah, the polemic style grates with some but he's the archetypal maverick, his philosophical project was to make everyone a maverick. Pre-conceptions absorbed from people who've never read him don't help.

Try and re-read Thus Spake Zarathustra, with an open-mind, it's an anthem to maverickism. Man is a thing that shall be overcome