You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Dalian Atkinson Killed by Cops

skend04

I am firmly in the camp that all lives matter not just black lives.

Black people being killed by police officers.

I understand it exactly but regardless of black or white i believe all lives matter evenly.

I also get a hint that if a white person was killed then nothing would be said or done.

Just because i dont believr that the said individuals were killed by police just because they were black?

It should have bern a march about all lives matter and not only black lives because if it wouldnt have been a black person but say chinese or indian person then race wouldnt have got in on it.

The "all lives matter" comment is straight from the Britain First/Make America Geeat Again voting sort. You've either missed the point on purpose which makes you pretty offensive, or you've missed it through the not bothering to understand exactly what black lives matter means which make you pretty dumb to say it out loud. Either way, you're displaying extreme ignorance of an extremely important movement.

"Black lives matter" absoluty states all lives matter. That's the entire point. That all lives matter the same, including black lives.

I really hope you don't come out with comments like that in public.

No matter how hard I try I cannot think of a more impossible and thankless job, wouldn't do it for a gold clock. Plus I haven't got the jaffas for it.

It's a weird one the police. I'd personally hate it but most of the people I know who joined love it. The three that do aren't really fit for it in my opinion, one is a right jobsworth wanker I used to work with (one of these university of life bellends), he was a pcso first now he's a sergeant in the plod, he laughed at the fact they thought he was fit enough to get in despite being significantly overweight.

Another was once signed off for two months with stress in her job as cabin crew but loves patrolling toxteth, another is a nice but dim lad who got sick of working in a bank.

Ironically the one I know who's the most suited to it on the face of it - former marine, hard but sound, has been broken by the job. Found a little kid after they'd been run over and will no longer visit family after seeing someone he locked up in his mother's road and is now paranoid about bringing trouble to the doorstep.

I suppose policing is one of those jobs where a life changing moment is never potentially far away.

• Upvote 1

Body cameras should clear this up, hopefully the force involved uses them.

The attitude to police on here is crazy. I went out with a copper for a few years and the real fear she could have been injured or killed at work every day does affect you. Remember when the copper was stabbed on the anti terror raid about 2003? That was on her patch on her shift. Waiting on a call to hear she was ok was fucking terrifying.

It was in Shropshire. They have only just got the horse and cart.

A neighbour described seeing the former Aston Villa star, 48, being Tasered after "stumbling towards" police.

Mr Atkinson went into cardiac arrest on his way to hospital, where he was pronounced dead at about 03:00.

Paula Quinn, who lives in a first-floor flat near the Atkinson property in Trench, said: "They were shouting and kicking so much all I could hear were the boots hitting him.

"And then the officer who released the Taser stepped back while the other officer still continued to kick and then I could hear him shout to the other officer that was still kicking, 'Back off, back off, back off.'

"And then the officer with the Taser asked the gentleman to put his hands behind his back and did so probably two or three times and reactivated the Taser another four or five times after that. "

Oh and armed police should all carry cameras but they don't in Greater Manchester?

How do I know? I was almost rammed into at a roundabout on the way to work. The police were not in any rush or pursuit they were just simply driving badly. I pointed to my eye to tell them to watch what they are doing. I thought at this stage that they were traffic police

I was then flashed and ordered out of my car. I was told to "get on the fucking pavement cunt" and was subject to several minutes verbal abuse and foul mouthed threats and aggression. It was only a few minutes into this that I realised that they were armed police.

After another five minutes of further unwarranted threats and foul mouthed abuse I pointed out that I was driving lawfully, and that I was the head of a university law school. They rapidly left.

During a phone complaint I was told to "fuck off" by a senior officer. I would add that he admitted to this later because he did not like listening to complaints.

The upshot was that the two yobbish officers and the senior received verbal warnings. They were not carrying any form of recording device

However, they are still on the streets making split second life and death decisions.

Sleep well

• Upvote 1

A neighbour described seeing the former Aston Villa star, 48, being Tasered after "stumbling towards" police.

Mr Atkinson went into cardiac arrest on his way to hospital, where he was pronounced dead at about 03:00.

Paula Quinn, who lives in a first-floor flat near the Atkinson property in Trench, said: "They were shouting and kicking so much all I could hear were the boots hitting him.

"And then the officer who released the Taser stepped back while the other officer still continued to kick and then I could hear him shout to the other officer that was still kicking, 'Back off, back off, back off.'

"And then the officer with the Taser asked the gentleman to put his hands behind his back and did so probably two or three times and reactivated the Taser another four or five times after that. "

Malcolm Tucker: Have you anything on the woman?

Oliver Reeder: Well, I've got Frankie up there now, just rooting through the bins. Hang on a second.

[speaks into another phone]

Oliver Reeder: Have you got anything?

Frankie: [outside the woman's house, literally going through her dustbins] Nothing. Er... bloody chips, Daily Mail, bin stuff.

Oliver Reeder: Nothing, Malcolm. Just bin stuff.

[Malcolm thinks for a moment, then goes back into the editing room]

Malcolm Tucker: BNP, Mark. She's standing for the British National Party. Stamford Bridge.

Mark Davies: [thumps his desk in disappointment] For fuck's sake!

Malcolm Tucker: Very straightforward. Basic stuff, Mark. Do your research. Standing for the British National Party.

Mark Davies: All right, what do you want, Malcolm?

Very disturbing to see our resident Police Offer getting so defensive over this incident. It's bound to be a headline picked up on here due to a connection with a certain sport we all follow and raise questions because he was a well know black ex professional sportsman. Of course people will ask questions about the incident and due to things that have happened in the past some people will not be convinced about anything. There is no need to take these comments personally as you are part of a massive organisation that employs thousands of people. Any organisation this size will have a few bad eggs among the many good officers and its in the interests of both the force and the general public to weed them out.

No organisation is infallible,including the Police.

Seen the live interview with her. She seems like an attention seeking mad woman.

Are you happy with your initial comments made in the thread? You're suggesting he was tased because he was black. The evidence being that he was black. Hardly your best work.

I'm suggesting that black people are routinely discriminated against by the entire criminal justice system and that his skin colour was probably a factor in his death. Witness accounts don't make for pleasant reading either.

This taken from elsewhere sums up some of my thoughts on tasers more eloquently.

Further, I remain concerned that the introduction of tasers has relegated the skills required to de-escalate violent or potentially violent situations to a much lower level. Such skills reduce the risk to the police officer, the subject and to the public. Indeed, these skills may be lost, as the experience in the US demonstrates, especially if tasers were to become standard issue to all police officers. The issue of a taser to every police officer would, I believe, condemn us to follow the US example where these weapons have become a method of coercing citizens to obey police officers and punishing them for not doing so.

Oh and Paul, get a grip mate, this ain't the first time you've had a howler on the subject of racism, I put the Prince debacle down to a one off, clearly I was being generous.

Clearly we have very different views on racism.

This taken from elsewhere sums up some of my thoughts on tasers more eloquently.

Further, I remain concerned that the introduction of tasers has relegated the skills required to de-escalate violent or potentially violent situations to a much lower level. Such skills reduce the risk to the police officer, the subject and to the public. Indeed, these skills may be lost, as the experience in the US demonstrates, especially if tasers were to become standard issue to all police officers. The issue of a taser to every police officer would, I believe, condemn us to follow the US example where these weapons have become a method of coercing citizens to obey police officers and punishing them for not doing so.

The gist of that article is fair comment.

But the Police do routinely have to attend incidents of unknown risk, the Taser reduces that risk. Furthermore it is useful for female officers who make a positive contribution to policing, while being at greater physical risk.

The police need weapons of some sort. I don't want a 4ft 7ins WPC being the only thing standing between me and some bloke with a machete if all she's got is a pair of handcuffs and some good intentions. For every tragedy there's 100 cases of some shitbird getting rightfully taken down.  

• Upvote 3

They have batons, CS gas, and usually shields in the boot of the car. Tasters should be last resort. Body cams on when attending a job should be mandatory.

I'd rather be tased than twatted with a baton. Also using the batton means they have to be within arms length - fuck that.