You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Public Service

Paul

Are you involved in public service...  

35 members have voted

1. 1. professionally?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. voluntarily?

• Yes
    • No

I'm interested to see how many people are involved in public service, either professionally, voluntarily or both. I see lots and lots of venting (rightly) about the state of our nation, but am unaware of how many people actively do anything to change things. I know there are people on here who work in education, social care and social justice, but I've no idea how many local councillors we have or school governors or charity volunteers and I'm interested to find out. The poll is anonymous as I don't want it to become a pissing contest, but if you're happy to share your experiences, then please do so in the thread.

I have been in local government for 15 years, but formally accepted a private sector job yesterday.

All that time has been in the formulation or implementation of planning/housing policy. Over the years it's just got harder and I've come to the conclusion that this government and the last have no interest in delivering affordable housing or really making developers pay their fair share.

Town Planning has changed from a scheme of nationalisation of land and taking the increase in value for betterment of infrastructure, to that of a process that increases the value of and controls the supply of land not for public gain anymore.

On affordable housing, it's ridiculously expensive, many of the AH providers are now profit driven, National Government have decreed you can't charge it on schemes of 10 or less regardless of viability and anything over 10 can always be knocked down by a viability assessment which are easy to play with costs and reduce or limit liability. It's a joke or a

I generally find society divided by their ability to engage in and benefit from the process. Those with education and resources are capable of turning it to their advantage.

Example is a phone mast replacement on a rec ground not immediately next to houses but close to high values has attracted 100's of objections. But in a rundown town centre next to 100's of houses/flats I get very few, maybe 5 if I'm lucky.

It's not right that I spend 80% of my time dealing with the attractive and wealthy areas of the borough, when the areas with deprivation need me a whole lot more. But the wealthly engage, vote and have good representation from their Councillors. The poor areas much less so.

I still meet the same number of dispirited and mean members of the public as I always did; and some have a fairly nasty streak. Never under estimate the shittyness of the upper and middle classes when protecting their interest.

Funny thing is, they often think it's their judgement that has resulted in the homes increasing in value. Yeah well sorry to wreck your illusions, changing the drapes to peach and putting a Wickes conservatory on the back didn't, or maybe, just maybe it was the massively increased availability of capital, deregulated lending and chronic undersupply of housing and land that has been key to doubling or trebling the value of your 30's suburban semi.

We're so under resources in comparison to the private sector we can't compete. I don't get time to read everything sent in with an application, never mind research or provide a cogent argument against.

I don't want to leave the public sector, but I'm just tired and need a break.

• Upvote 1

I mentor a young lad from the local 6th form college. Meet with him every month or so and chat through how he's doing, talk about his options, help with uni and summer job applications and that type of stuff. It's the same college that produced Owen Jones so making sure he doesn't turn a Trotskyist.

• Upvote 2

Have been breaking my balls ensuring children in the South of the county have safe learning environments and now upgrading old people's homes. It's getting harder with cuts though, people leave and no one wants to come in as the pay ain't the best. We aren't far off from an American model where the local authorities are hubs to send private companies out to do the work.

• Upvote 1

I mentor a young lad from the local 6th form college. Meet with him every month or so and chat through how he's doing, talk about his options, help with uni and summer job applications and that type of stuff. It's the same college that produced Owen Jones so making sure he doesn't turn a successful author.

"Mentoring"?

Is that what they call it these days?

• Upvote 2

I dont but two of my kids are involved in some way. My Son works as a Finance Officer for a local housing association and has done for about 3 to 4 years and my daughter has worked in the Immigration department in town before moving to the DWP in Birkenhead and is soon to take up a role in a Job Centre in Wythenshawe.

I dont but two of my kids are involved in some way. My Son works as a Finance Officer for a local housing association and has done for about 3 to 4 years and my daughter has worked in the Immigration department in town before moving to the DWP in Birkenhead and is soon to take up a role in a Job Centre in Wythenshawe.

Fuck, good luck to her in Wythenshawe.

I forgot that I also tried to volunteer for a local charity called Furniture Station that takes donated furniture and gives it to those usually starting a home for the first time. Donated quite a bit to them over the years and volunteered to help out. The bloke running it was very evasive and didn't turn up to the two meetings I arranged. He's either a good judge of character or there's a fiddle going on - or both.

I answered no the voluntary sector, but if we include Union work I'm a steward and delegate for UNISON.

Also forgot I do the odd bit for Planning Aid, which places Chartered Town Planners into communities to assist in policy/plan making and responding to applications. But I just pick that up now and again and have no firm commitment.

I tried to volunteer for The Monday Group, who build stiles, benches and clear footpaths in my local area in the South Downs. But as their name suggests they meet on a Monday and my employer wouldn't agree to condensing hours so that I could have a Monday off

Does humouring you cunts count? Pretty much care in the community isn't it?

You need to up your game.

Look at what CD has done on the Summer Slags theread or Trumo on the Under the Radar thread.  Those lads are real community champions and I have written to the Government to recommend them for CBEs at least.

My partner works for a community foundation so I volunteer my time to help them out at events and so forth. I do want to get involved in more though. Especially the mentoring think it would be useful as I wish I had someone I could go to when I was younger for career advice.