You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Jordan Henderson, MBE: World Club Cup, European Cup, European Super Cup, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup & Charity Shield Winning Captain of Liverpool (and massive sellout)

dennis tooth

11 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Legitimate point though isn't it, that people are singling out a part of the world for their own reasons, rather than what they claim to be the real reason. I must have missed the bit where half the country turned into Peter Tatchell. 

I mean, it's an incoherence issue more than anything. 

I don't expect or need public figures to speak out against every single issue under the sun. If Henderson hadn't been an advocate for gay rights, I wouldn't care one bit. But once he does that and then decides to take a payday in Saudi of all places, it's pretty fair to criticize. 

And he wont ultimately care about the criticism anyway. If he goes, him and his next 10 descendants will be swimming in it, that's the important part, not that he looks like a hypocrite.

14 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Always amazes me how people can shift moral goalposts when it suits their agenda. Bascombe got a dog's life for going to the NOTW but Barrett didn't for going to the Times. I wasn't arsed in either case, it's for people to decide what's best of their life, their family, their future and conscience. 

I think the different there was the NOTW was the rag on sunday in all but name and the proof of that is when the NOTW went too far and had to shut down, they ultimately replaced it with the rag on Sunday. I think most people were quite happy to be focused on a one publication boycott and the rest was personal choice. The issue was really there was no difference between those two papers, they just came out on different days. Owen got shit for writing for the NOTW too. 

• Upvote 3

47 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

America executes people left and right and women aren't allowed control over their own bodies now in loads of states, are people boycotting American holidays/job offers?

Don't LFC have training camps in Dubai?

It's such bollocks this I have to say, like Neville moaning about the European super league to the point where a copper gets his head stoved in, then fucks off to Qatar for a payday.

If we want to pull people up for tolerating moral shithousery when it suits we'd be here all year.

Don't we have an academy in Dubai too?

Fowler opened the 3rd official store there not too long ago.

57 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Always amazes me how people can shift moral goalposts when it suits their agenda. Bascombe got a dog's life for going to the NOTW but Barrett didn't for going to the Times. I wasn't arsed in either case, it's for people to decide what's best of their life, their family, their future and conscience. 

I gave Barrett shit for going to the Times.

In fairness, Tony smashed up my mum and dad's fence when he was a kid, so there was a bit of history there already.

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

Has he fucked off yet? He either wants to play for Liverpool, or he doesn't. Needs to make his mind up pretty fucking soon. 

I imagine with the radio silence today we're either negotiating a fee or more likely, trying to get a deal over the line before we sign off the deal. 

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

America executes people left and right and women aren't allowed control over their own bodies now in loads of states, are people boycotting American holidays/job offers?

Sorry, mate, I can't believe what you're saying here.  I have the utmost respect for you as a poster - your opinions are always read with interest, Sec.  But this is bizarre.

Due to the issue being the sale of Hendo to Saudi Arabia, the main thrust of the discussion has been LGBTQ+ rights.  As is common, the discussion has been broadened out into "Saudi Arabia" in general.

I would say the Saudi regime loves these false equivalence arguments pointing out that America executes prisoners and has repealed abortion laws.

They would also love the people referring to criticism of Saudi law as an attack on Islam.

Saudi Arabia rulers need to be separated out from Sharia Law.  My understanding is they don't actually have codified law.  They use "law" to inflict repression on their citizens.

It is not "Islam", it is "Saudi" arbitrary law.

Imagine the most vile wife-beating abuser living on your estate.  And imagine him having the right to argue that his wife and his daughter are his property and he can beat and abuse them and do what he likes.  And if someone intervenes, he can have them arrested, and the authorities will back him to the hilt.

And imagine a person shouting over the fence that this is wrong.  And that person being arrested and tortured in prison.  And then sentenced to 35 years.

And then seeing the rulers of the country that all of this is absolutely fine in, on the television being glad handed by the King of the UK, and various other world leaders.

And then the leader securing more weapons with which to brutalise a neighbouring country (200,000 dead and counting...).  Then literally starving that nation - women and children literally starving to death.

And someone pointing out to the world that this is wrong.  And that person being arrested and then being tortured.  Then being accused of being gay so being beheaded.

This is not fantasy, mate.  This is Saudi Arabia.

Anyone stepping away from being critical of one of the most brutal, fascist regimes in the world because you know, America has Marjorie Taylor Greene shouting the odds about gun ownership, is way off.

It's a false equivalence on steroids.

But anyway, I don't want Hendo to go there.  Because he's a good man.  If he goes, I hope his agent is accused of homosexuality and is arrested.  That will give him pause for thought when he's being brutalised for hours on end before being thrown off a building onto the concrete.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, razor said:

Sorry, mate, I can't believe what you're saying here.  I have the utmost respect for you as a poster - your opinions are always read with interest, Sec.  But this is bizarre.

Due to the issue being the sale of Hendo to Saudi Arabia, the main thrust of the discussion has been LGBTQ+ rights.  As is common, the discussion has been broadened out into "Saudi Arabia" in general.

I would say the Saudi regime loves these false equivalence arguments pointing out that America executes prisoners and has repealed abortion laws.

They would also love the people referring to criticism of Saudi law as an attack on Islam.

Saudi Arabia rulers need to be separated out from Sharia Law.  My understanding is they don't actually have codified law.  They use "law" to inflict repression on their citizens.

It is not "Islam", it is "Saudi" arbitrary law.

Imagine the most vile wife-beating abuser living on your estate.  And imagine him having the right to argue that his wife and his daughter are his property and he can beat and abuse them and do what he likes.  And if someone intervenes, he can have them arrested, and the authorities will back him to the hilt.

And imagine a person shouting over the fence that this is wrong.  And that person being arrested and tortured in prison.  And then sentenced to 35 years.

And then seeing the rulers of the country that all of this is absolutely fine in, on the television being glad handed by the King of the UK, and various other world leaders.

And then the leader securing more weapons with which to brutalise a neighbouring country (200,000 dead and counting...).  Then literally starving that nation - women and children literally starving to death.

And someone pointing out to the world that this is wrong.  And that person being arrested and then being tortured.  Then being accused of being gay so being beheaded.

This is not fantasy, mate.  This is Saudi Arabia.

Anyone stepping away from being critical of one of the most brutal, fascist regimes in the world because you know, America has Marjorie Taylor Greene shouting the odds about gun ownership, is way off.

It's a false equivalence on steroids.

But anyway, I don't want Hendo to go there.  Because he's a good man.  If he goes, I hope his agent is accused of homosexuality and is arrested.  That will give him pause for thought when he's being brutalised for hours on end before being thrown off a building onto the concrete.

This is so typically ignorant

• Downvote 3

3 minutes ago, Planet Origi said:

First you need to read up on what Islam says about homosexuality instead of imposing your own ignorant understanding of it.

The rest of the bollocks I couldn't be arsed reading

Thanks for your insightful contribution, your excellency.

You should read the rest.  I'm dying to read your considered view.

I think there's a fair point in the "You slag the Saudi stuff when it suits you". 

Can't stand that they've bought Newcastle but if I'm honest it's more to do with them now being a fucking big-shit rather than me aligning them with Saudi cunt behaviour. Happy to see people slag Gerrard for taking the job over there but that's because I'm still pissed off he took that fucking job north of the border whereas I haven't once thought bad of Fowler for doing it. 

Do I think it's a complete joke and it's got the potential to drive the nail into Footballs coffin? Yeah definitely and I'm fuming it's happening but footy has been dying for ages. It's a computer game to the cunts with cash and our blind love, faith and loyalty gets dragged along by its bollocks until we get a sniff of joy from it. 

We've had some fucking great times over the last 5 years but I fear we won't get them feelings again. I'm sure plenty of the old guard thought the same when the Premier league was formed and all of a sudden Richard Keys and Andy Gray were the gateway to watching the game on telly. 

It started in this country with Chelsea although you could argue that before Abramovich they'd had some top sides in recent years. The changing point was the day City signed Robinho who at the time as one of the most sought after players in the world and the cunt didn't even know who Man City were. Now they've won the CL it's almost done for me. Like me taking Pompey from league 1 to winning the CL on footy manager, once you've cleaned up you turn it off. 

Anyway, give us all your money you fucking bastards so we can spend it on players who will bring us some silverware. 

I wanted Henderson moved on this summer regardless, but my position was that I would have been fine with him staying because of the off-pitch qualities he brought. I think he's always been average technically, but recently that has degraded to being absolutely shite. His best qualities in the past - athleticism, fitness, tactical awareness - have all aged like milk. I watched him last season and couldn't believe how poor he was, hoofing the ball in the air at every opportunity and barking at others for his mistakes. 

Even still, despite that, his leadership, his alignment with the club's values, his insatiable drive and desire to win, all meant I would have been fine with him staying. He had held himself with great dignity during his time here as skipper and that gets you some credit. I had forgiven him for the bullshit PR drive he did two seasons ago to force us into giving him a new contract, ruining our pre-season that year, because beyond that, he'd done a lot of good.

But now...now he can well and truly fuck off. To whore yourself out for a shit Saudi side safe in the knowledge that they weren't prepared to give us a fucking dime to buy you, and thinking you can force our arm to let you fuck off for free, are the acts of an utter and ungrateful twat. Everything you stood for now crumbling like a sand castle under your hypocrisy and arrogance. Hendo was always blessed to even have the chance to wear the armband for a club like ours, and now he feels like he's above it because of a few extra million? All of his bollocks around LGBTQ, food banks and the lot just seems more and more like Marcus Rashford PR stunts. Thanks for doing your best to scupper another pre-season for us skip.

If the saudis don't want to stump up for this clown then take the armband off him and make him put the cones out for the next season. I doubt any fan with a brain cell wants to see him on the pitch much anyway regardless of all this carry on.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, FrenchEyeGlass said:

I wanted Henderson moved on this summer regardless, but my position was that I would have been fine with him staying because of the off-pitch qualities he brought. I think he's always been average technically, but recently that has degraded to being absolutely shite. His best qualities in the past - athleticism, fitness, tactical awareness - have all aged like milk. I watched him last season and couldn't believe how poor he was, hoofing the ball in the air at every opportunity and barking at others for his mistakes. 

Even still, despite that, his leadership, his alignment with the club's values, his insatiable drive and desire to win, all meant I would have been fine with him staying. He had held himself with great dignity during his time here as skipper and that gets you some credit. I had forgiven him for the bullshit PR drive he did two seasons ago to force us into giving him a new contract, ruining our pre-season that year, because beyond that, he'd done a lot of good.

But now...now he can well and truly fuck off. To whore yourself out for a shit Saudi side safe in the knowledge that they weren't prepared to give us a fucking dime to buy you, and thinking you can force our arm to let you fuck off for free, are the acts of an utter and ungrateful twat. Everything you stood for now crumbling like a sand castle under your hypocrisy and arrogance. Hendo was always blessed to even have the chance to wear the armband for a club like ours, and now he feels like he's above it because of a few extra million? All of his bollocks around LGBTQ, food banks and the lot just seems more and more like Marcus Rashford PR stunts. Thanks for doing your best to scupper another pre-season for us skip.

If the saudis don't want to stump up for this clown then take the armband off him and make him put the cones out for the next season. I doubt any fan with a brain cell wants to see him on the pitch much anyway regardless of all this carry on.

Maybe he wanted to stay and has been told he's surplus so thinks at his age the chance of a fortune is too good to pass up? I don't think if he'd been told by Klopp that he's captain and a key player next season that he'd even entertain moving, not just there but anywhere. 

5 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Maybe he wanted to stay and has been told he's surplus so thinks at his age the chance of a fortune is too good to pass up? I don't think if he'd been told by Klopp that he's captain and a key player next season that he'd even entertain moving, not just there but anywhere. 

So fucking what though? He is 33 years fucking old and the gaffer has stuck by him despite his critics for years, how utterly arrogant does he have to be to not understand the need for transition? Put it this way, in what world is Henderson a key player for any of the top 10 teams in the league? He is fucking fortunate. There's a reason the only club after him are those in Saudi, and not even one of the rich ones, just the broke bastards that Stevie happens to manage.

But let's say he is truly shocked and disappointed at not being guaranteed game time (because he is deluded), there is a way to go about it. To start briefing all of the journos who love to nosh you off that you're going to move and have agreed terms, before the Saudi club has even approached us with an offer and figured out if they can afford our demands, completely puts the club in disarray during a really important pre season. He is our fucking CAPTAIN for fucks sake. I don't think people understand how disrespectful all of this carry on is and this is before even getting into the issue of the mask slipping and all of his LGBTQ support being as empty as his goal tally.

Fucking shit cunt. Only reason I gave him some license was because I thought he was a sound fella. 

Whatever happens, there is no chance in hell he should be near the captaincy or the first team next season, so I just hope Klopp can suppress his sentimentality to ensure that is the case.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

He made a big deal out of getting this long contract he's on. He must have known when he signed it, it was pretty unlikely he would be a regular in the side by the end of it, but all he was arsed about was getting the security of a long term deal. Good for him.  But after that I don't care if he wants more playing time or not, he got his contract for the good of Jordan henderson. The price of having a long contract is Liverpool determine when he leaves for the good of Liverpool if he wants out before the end. Personally I don't care what goes on from here as long as he's not captain next season. If we sell him, great. If he's 8th choice midfielder risking his England place, that's sound too. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Don't LFC have training camps in Dubai?

It's such bollocks this I have to say, like Neville moaning about the European super league to the point where a copper gets his head stoved in, then fucks off to Qatar for a payday.

If we want to pull people up for tolerating moral shithousery when it suits we'd be here all year.

I guess I’d consider myself anti-Saudi but I’d be lying if I said I cared as much as Razor for example. Not knocking Razor at all, by the way. 

On the football side of things, luring players away from Newcastle’s rivals with ridiculous contract offers and trying to do so without a transfer fee is shady as fuck and people should be talking about it more. 

I’d have been happy to see Hendo moved on this summer and if he’d gone to virtually any European club there’d be nothing but plaudits and respect from everyone. Fans, players, journos, everyone. Obviously this sours things with regards to his reputation, certainly in the short term, purely because of how hypocritical he’s made himself look. 

4 hours ago, El Rojo said:

One great line in it that shows that the descriptions of ‘life-changing’ money have annoyed him as much as me - he says it’s almost pitched as though the Hendersons can now afford a car or a family holiday.

Well said! He's on £9.1m a year at Liverpool (allegedly). It would take me almost 200 years to earn that kind of wedge!

I just see Henderson as being a nice bloke basically. He was arranging that NHS donation stuff wasn't he around Covid? I'm pretty sure I've seen him do stuff around food banks and I reckon he's always first into Alder Hey come Christmas. When he's tweeted support for LGBT people I imagined that's what it was, rather than him trying to style himself (and make money/profile out of) as some kind of activist.

• Upvote 1

• dave u changed the title to Jordan Henderson, MBE: World Club Cup, European Cup, European Super Cup, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup & Charity Shield Winning Captain of Liverpool (and massive sellout)