You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

3 hours ago, No2 said:

Sunak has played this Northern Ireland impasse well in my opinion. Just including Windsor in the title is enough to give Unionists credibility among their vote. Northern Ireland is probably the best off part of Europe with this deal yet they half of them are too fucking thick to see it.

Not really. It's been seen by most as a fairly cynical move and unnecessary politicisation of the monarchy. 

9 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Tory PM in looking vaguely competent shock. 

Be interesting to see the DUP take on it, as I suspect they will find stuff to dislike, as they just don't want to restart Stormont with a Sinn Fein lead, in reality.

Remember though he was part of johnsons cabinet who pushed it through originally 

9 hours ago, The Golden Eel said:

Not really. It's been seen by most as a fairly cynical move and unnecessary politicisation of the monarchy. 

It depends on how you approach it, if you come at it from the point of view that squaring this circle was impossible then it's a good bit of political maneuvering. Very little has actually changed but then nothing happened at all when Brexit got done and when the cake was oven ready. That was all fluff and so is this but can be sold as good enough for the King of the Union, therefore good enough for disciples. 

56 minutes ago, No2 said:

It depends on how you approach it, if you come at it from the point of view that squaring this circle was impossible then it's a good bit of political maneuvering. Very little has actually changed but then nothing happened at all when Brexit got done and when the cake was oven ready. That was all fluff and so is this but can be sold as good enough for the King of the Union, therefore good enough for disciples. 

Yeah, that probably was the idea involving the King - to give it weight and extra Britishness or whatever. I'm just saying that, from what I've picked up, people aren't going to be falling for that. I've seen a fair few high-profile unionist figures criticising it for the reasons I mentioned in the previous post. 

Rishi Sunak - Remember this – Northern Ireland has this very special position where it has access to the UK market, has access to the EU market, which makes it an incredibly attractive place to invest for businesses. And that’s sitting there waiting to happen if we can move forward and get the government up and running. 

Wow, imagine if that kind of arrangement was available to the entire UK, it would nearly make you think leaving the EU wasn't a clever idea. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, The Golden Eel said:

Yeah, that probably was the idea involving the King - to give it weight and extra Britishness or whatever. I'm just saying that, from what I've picked up, people aren't going to be falling for that. I've seen a fair few high-profile unionist figures criticising it for the reasons I mentioned in the previous post. 

Quick glance at the front pages and they are all running with positive headlines. It's easy to ignore the hardline crackpots of the papers decide to.

Boris Johnson may try to sabotage it, I predict if he does there will be a general election within 6 months and Labour will implement something every similar anyway. Johnson is the big loser here, his deal is being shown up as not worth the paper it was written on.

23 minutes ago, No2 said:

Quick glance at the front pages and they are all running with positive headlines. It's easy to ignore the hardline crackpots of the papers decide to.

Boris Johnson may try to sabotage it, I predict if he does there will be a general election within 6 months and Labour will implement something every similar anyway. Johnson is the big loser here, his deal is being shown up as not worth the paper it was written on.

Pity he didn't take his own advise and end up dead in a ditch (too dark for a Tuesday am?). 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, No2 said:

It depends what you're talking about. Is it likely to get the support of the HOC? I would suspect so.

Is it likely to get the support of the DUP and therefore their voters? I'd say that's 50/50. I have no particular insight into what might happen there but my gut instinct is that there will be opposing views in the DUP. The more pragmatic element will probably want to support the deal but others will conclude that it hasn't addressed the issues. 

47 minutes ago, The Golden Eel said:

It depends what you're talking about. Is it likely to get the support of the HOC? I would suspect so.

Is it likely to get the support of the DUP and therefore their voters? I'd say that's 50/50. I have no particular insight into what might happen there but my gut instinct is that there will be opposing views in the DUP. The more pragmatic element will probably want to support the deal but others will conclude that it hasn't addressed the issues. 

But the DUP only matter if you allow them to matter. They hold no sway now, all the early signs are come along or get fucked. 

This has been about saving face since 2016, it was always an impossible ask when a border was required with the EU but half the people up there have EU passports and Irish rights. For everyones sake this needs to be dressed up to be as flattering as it can be, the EU will happily allow the Tories look like winners even though they're not.

34 minutes ago, No2 said:

But the DUP only matter if you allow them to matter. They hold no sway now, all the early signs are come along or get fucked.

The point of the talks process was to change/remove the protocol to get the DUP and unionists in Northern Ireland on board in a bid restore the Assembly. If the DUP don't support it, then nothing has changed. So they definitely do hold sway in that regard. It's essentially up to them... There are already signs of opposing views emerging, it'll be interesting to see how it pans out. 

7 hours ago, No2 said:

Rishi Sunak - Remember this – Northern Ireland has this very special position where it has access to the UK market, has access to the EU market, which makes it an incredibly attractive place to invest for businesses. And that’s sitting there waiting to happen if we can move forward and get the government up and running. 

Wow, imagine if that kind of arrangement was available to the entire UK, it would nearly make you think leaving the EU wasn't a clever idea. 

I find it quite unbelievable that he has the audacity to make that statement.

These cunts should be strung up, they are killing the country & couldn't give a flying fuck because no one seems to care an awful lot.

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, No2 said:

I think this also causes an issue for Starmer's current political stance, on not countenancing rejoining the Single Market. The questions will start to fly at Tories trumpeting Brexit whilst it drags on the economy and NI flourishes, but the same questions will begin to hit Starmer too. 

9 hours ago, No2 said:

He may just have fucked himself in the medium to long term with that statement right there. A 'committed Brexiteer' trumpeting the prize of access to both the UK and EU markets for NI - a prize that  all of the UK had before Sunak and his lot took us out of the EU? I can't see who's going to be happy with that, apart from people in NI who voted to remain.

Still, in the short term he seems to have won round the all-important right wing press and most of his parliamentary party for now, leaving whoever opposes the deal looking bitter and on the outside looking in. For that reason I suspect Johnson will publicly support it, if he hasn't already.

I'm just waiting for the DUP to begrudgingly give it their backing so I can watch Sinn Fein lording it over them in Stormont. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jack the Sipper said:

He may just have fucked himself in the medium to long term with that statement right there. A 'committed Brexiteer' trumpeting the prize of access to both the UK and EU markets for NI - a prize that  all of the UK had before Sunak and his lot took us out of the EU? I can't see who's going to be happy with that, apart from people in NI who voted to remain.

Still, in the short term he seems to have won round the all-important right wing press and most of his parliamentary party for now, leaving whoever opposes the deal looking bitter and on the outside looking in. For that reason I suspect Johnson will publicly support it, if he hasn't already.

I'm just waiting for the DUP to begrudgingly give it their backing so I can watch Sinn Fein lording it over them in Stormont. 

I don't think he's capable of thinking two steps ahead.  Going wild with enthusiasm about a deal offered to NI but denied to the rest of the UK.  It's not a good look, unless he's thinking four steps ahead to advocate the rest of the UK returning to the SM. I'm not sure he's capable of that either but I have previously wondered if the Tories might move to that position for the GE.  Stranger things have happened.