You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Ryder Cup 2016 - Hazeltine, USA

JohnnyH

Now seems as good a time as any to start this thread given the European Captain was announced today.

So what think you European golf fans of our new Captain, Darren Clarke?  I'm not too fond of him if I'm honest.  I'd have much rathered Jimenez or Bjorn.  I'd love to know who McGinley really voted for...

But the decision is made and Clarke it is.  Davis Love III ('Davis loves the turd' snigger) is going to be US Captain it seems and he'll really get that squad togther, so it's going to be very tough.

I love the Ryder Cup though and am already excited.

• Upvote 1

Now seems as good a time as any to start this thread given the European Captain was announced today.

So what think you European golf fans of our new Captain, Darren Clarke? I'm not too fond of him if I'm honest. I'd have much rathered Jimenez or Bjorn. I'd love to know who McGinley really voted for...

But the decision is made and Clarke it is. Davis Love III ('Davis loves the turd' snigger) is going to be US Captain it seems and he'll really get that squad togther, so it's going to be very tough.

I love the Ryder Cup though and am already excited.

I assume McGinley doesnt like Clarke?

Best job in the world being a professional golfer. All you need to do is be good at golf and that's it. Boss money (even without winning) , sponsorship, endorsements... get to play on the nicest courses in the world. No need to physically exert yourself. Fuck sake.

Best job in the world being a professional golfer. All you need to do is be good at golf and that's it. Boss money (even without winning) , sponsorship, endorsements... get to play on the nicest courses in the world. No need to physically exert yourself. Fuck sake.

and you dont even have to carry your clubs or hold the flag. Still though probably only good for the top 150 or so...the rest i'd say is a struggle

I assume McGinley doesnt like Clarke?

McGinley was one of the favourites for the job, and having initialy seemed to be supporting McGinley, Clarke very publicaly withdrew the support claiming McGinley hadnt done enough in golf to deserve the Captaincy, and then placed his backing behind Montgomery. It's was a very public slap in the face for McGinley that seemed designed to cause trouble, with nothing to justify it.

My Dads cousin is a professional golfer. Doubt anyone would know him here as he's not played in many recognised tournaments (and those he has he hasn't done very well in) but even though he's nowhere near top tier he still enjoys a great life travelling the world!

I've just recently got into golf and I'm hoping to visit a few golfing resorts abroad this year. Always enjoyed the Ryder Cup even when I wasn't that interested in golf.

• Upvote 1

McGinley was one of the favourites for the job, and having initialy seemed to be supporting McGinley, Clarke very publicaly withdrew the support claiming McGinley hadnt done enough in golf to deserve the Captaincy, and then placed his backing behind Montgomery. It's was a very public slap in the face for McGinley that seemed designed to cause trouble, with nothing to justify it.

Thats quite ironic as Clarke was exactly the same until his Open win.

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

Perfect picks by Darren Clarke (wanker or not), needed a little experience in there and had to go for Peiters as the form horse. Knox was given the opportunity to qualify and didn't take it so why the fuck should he have been picked?

Do think we'll lose this one though, think Davis Love nearly got it right last time barring a miracle - can't see that happening again.

Might be good for the competition if they do but I'm fucked if I want to see it happen.

Bit annoyed with my son for having his 10th birthday on the Saturday this year. I suggested  Ryder Cup watching party but he wasn't going for it.

He's a general arsehole by all accounts, great when things go well, horrible when they take a turn for the worse.

My mate was his sons school tutor and thought the sun shone out of each others arse for the 2 years he was tutoring him. Took him to Queenwood for golf, had him round his house etc etc. but things took a sharp turn when it came to an end and he didn't get the grades he was after. He's got a somewhat different view of Clarke these days.

A few of the pundits have voiced these concerns about his potential captaincy with the view being If we go behind early on things could self destruct quite spectacularly.