You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

New TV/Xbox One or PS4

Woo

Hello TNF,

Some of you may remember me as this forum's once great hope, who then fizzled out and kind of faded in to obscurity, much like Anthony Le Tallec.

Anyway, I return in need of sage advice from those of you who know where to buy shit cheaper than anywhere else, as well as those of you who invest a lot of money in next gen consoles and actually play them, rather than let them collect dust and months later lament what a waste of money they are.

I'm receiving a nice back pay of four months wages so find myself particularly flush with cash, so want to invest in a) either a PS4 or a Xbox One, whichever the people think is the superior console, and b ) a new big fuck off telly that will make the aforementioned purchase worthwhile.

Have a budget of around £500 for the telly, maybe a soundbar too if needed. Probably looking at around a 50" but I want a good one that is gonna do me for the next five years at least. I had a Xbox 360 but never played a PS3, so I don't really have a preference over which console. Depends which is both the better console and best moneywise.

Thanks in advance.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I think you'll be pushing it to get a 'good one' for £500 quid. You can get a 50 inch for 500 quid, but I'm not sure it'd be a really good one. Here's a good one for £599, which is well reviewed.

I'd get the more powerful PS4, but that's just me.

Thanks for the reply. That looks ace, mate. But what's the difference between that, and say, this (apart from there only been used versions for that price)?

I don't know what the fuck I'm meant to be looking for that determines a good telly, to be honest. Nearly every telly I've looked at has a review saying the sound is shit, which I accept due to the size of it and will gladly buy a soundbar, but what should I look for beyond that other than it being Full HD? Is it the refresh rate?

Not overly concerned about it being a Smart TV, but then I don't really know what that is and I have Chromecast. Is it something that's going to become far more prominent in the next few years?

Also, deffo leaning towards a PS4. Not paid any interest to my 360 since GTA V, but saw my cousin playing Destiny on his PS4 yesterday and was blown away by how incredible it looked.

Will probably be a flashy cunt and get a Xbox One around Christmas once they're right down in price, if only for Halo and the NFL stuff.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Yeah, the first one is used, so it's bound to be cheaper. The second is an older model of that one I linked to. I'd say the likely difference (although I couldn't be sure without doing a proper comparison with stats, and all that shit) improvement in picture - contrast ratios, colours, etc. And maybe so smart functions and all that good stuff. If you're not particularly 'in to it' with all that stuff, I'm sure that would be a good set. I'd let a few others chime in, though.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I'd be with the PS4, marginally, because as the more powerful system I think it'll deal with future games better. 1080p and 30-60FPS on future games as opposed to 900p and 30FPS max on the XBOX or whatever. Fuck it, get a PC. I own neither, so I've not got a horse in either race.

• Upvote 1

There's no discernible difference between Xbox/PS4, mainly because developers won't make a multi platform game that looks awful on one and good on the other. Destiny is on both systems too.

They must manage it accidently then because there are a few cross platform games where the Xbox has come up short (maybe vice versa as well).

Granted the casual gamer may not notice or care unless you're running both at the same time and making a direct comparison, but if you're buying a 1080 telly it'd be nice to play the games in 1080 (like the ps4) instead of 900 or 720 like the Xbox.

As has been mentioned, the PS4 runs at a native 1080p, where the Xbox One runs at a native 720p, with some games running at 900p. 

I have both machines and would say the PS4 is the better of the 2, regardless of the native resolutions. (Mind you, I am a bit of a Sony fanboy).

Get yourself to Game, or somewhere similar and try out the controllers before you make your choice. For me, the PS4 controller is the superior of the two, but the XBOne controller is a big upgrade on the 360, feel wise. It just fits better in my hands - the better placement of the battery unit has helps massively, in my opinion. However, there is a massive flaw, in that the all important sticks are just terrible.

Another minor thing to consider is the subscription service, should you wish to play online.

As you already own a 360, I would assume that you still have an active Gold account - this of course carries over onto the XBOne and you can happily use both consoles on the same subscription for as long as you wish.

Obviously, as you've never owned a PS3 and had no need to subscribe to PS+, this is something you will need to do, should you opt for the PS4. (If you're planning on gaming online). Both subscriptions are similar in price, and can be purchased cheaper using sites such as CDKeys.com.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, the first one is used, so it's bound to be cheaper. The second is an older model of that one I linked to. I'd say the likely difference (although I couldn't be sure without doing a proper comparison with stats, and all that shit) improvement in picture - contrast ratios, colours, etc. And maybe so smart functions and all that good stuff. If you're not particularly 'in to it' with all that stuff, I'm sure that would be a good set. I'd let a few others chime in, though.

Cheers. Gonna have a proper look later but I like the thought of getting a very similar telly and a PS4 for not far off the price of the newer model.

What's the deal with Smart TV. Is it gonna be a big deal moving forward, or it just like tablet features on a telly?

Regarding the consoles, I think the difference in resolution is overstated. Both systems output at 1080p, and do so with an array of games not natively rendered at that resolution. Most of the criticism of the One's performance came with early titles and before the scaler got some much needed improvements.

Pad preference and which system has the exclusives you want will be of more importance.

As for TVs, I'm still firmly in the plasma camp, but there are some decent LCD sets around. As long as you get a set that's rated highly for the type of content you plan to watch (i.e. good motion handling for sport), you should be fine.

Smart TVs are just sets that have the bells and whistles of online connectivity, so things like BBC iPlayer and the like are built in. Some of the niftier sets have voice recognition and cameras, but no one wants to accidentally open a Skype call when they're in their pants. I've yet to see a function on one that wasn't available in some other - cheaper - piece of kit that most people would have lying around. In short, it helped sell TVs to people who didn't need to upgrade, it's not a big thing.

• Upvote 2

As has been mentioned, the PS4 runs at a native 1080p, where the Xbox One runs at a native 720p, with some games running at 900p.

I have both machines and would say the PS4 is the better of the 2, regardless of the native resolutions. (Mind you, I am a bit of a Sony fanboy).

Get yourself to Game, or somewhere similar and try out the controllers before you make your choice. For me, the PS4 controller is the superior of the two, but the XBOne controller is a big upgrade on the 360, feel wise. It just fits better in my hands - the better placement of the battery unit has helps massively, in my opinion. However, there is a massive flaw, in that the all important sticks are just terrible.

Another minor thing to consider is the subscription service, should you wish to play online.

As you already own a 360, I would assume that you still have an active Gold account - this of course carries over onto the XBOne and you can happily use both consoles on the same subscription for as long as you wish.

Obviously, as you've never owned a PS3 and had no need to subscribe to PS+, this is something you will need to do, should you opt for the PS4. (If you're planning on gaming online). Both subscriptions are similar in price, and can be purchased cheaper using sites such as CDKeys.com.

Thanks, Al. Firmly in the PS4 camp now, just need to find a decent bundle.

Any thoughts on the tellys? That £360 one is very appealing....unless it has a big flaw. Can't check until later when I get home and get on my laptop and the discount runs out soon.

Most TVs are a much of a muchness now, especially around the budget you've mentioned. If you were buying OLED or 4K, then it'd be better to do some proper homework.

The important things to consider are the types of input/output connections and how many you'll need. How many HDMI connected devices will you use with the TV? Do you need an optical audio output? That sort of thing...

The TV you've provided the link to, looks good for the price you'll pay. Comes with a few bells and whistles that you may not ever use, but, who doesn't like discovering that your gadgets can do some funky shit, all purely by accident...?

They must manage it accidently then because there are a few cross platform games where the Xbox has come up short (maybe vice versa as well).

Granted the casual gamer may not notice or care unless you're running both at the same time and making a direct comparison, but if you're buying a 1080 telly it'd be nice to play the games in 1080 (like the ps4) instead of 900 or 720 like the Xbox.

You're right, no one cares about resolution.

I have 35 years and counting of advanced level video game experience, having conquered enemies ranging from that massive duck in A&F Software's Chuckie Egg right through to Dr Robotnik, the utter, utter bastard that was Sephiroth and more recently that prick from Resi 4.  My advice would be to buy a PS4 and a great big telly.  Then quit your crappy twitter, blogging or whatever nonsense it is you write elsewhere and post more on here. 

• Upvote 1

Sephiroth was indeed a cunt.

I've already told you my admittedly slightly biased views Woo and I think Matt summed it up best. The PS4 is a games machine, the XBO is an entertainment system that plays games. Because I know you and what kind of gamer you are, you're not going to notice the framerate or the output because like me, you don't understand or care about any of that bollocks anyway.

• Upvote 1

I was leaning towards a PS4 this time around but I won a Xbox One at work.

Have to say I'm really happy with it, despite not really haven't a lot of chance to play it.

You can't go wrong with either but you're like me in that you own an Xbox 360 already and it's a massive improvement all round.

Yeah it is, snapping out of a game, doing something else and instantly coming back to it, is one of those "don't realise how useful it is until you have it" things.

Yep. The thing that really impressed me was being able to turn the console off mid-game, then be able to resume in exactly the same place next time you switch on.