You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The New Star Wars Films

Section_31

I agree with Section's review.  This movie is all over the shop.

I was completely bored after about an hour and a half and desperate for it to end so I could be put out of my misery.  But on and on it went until we reached peaked crap with Luke facing up to a fleet of AT-ATs on his own. 

What were those little cute things hanging out with Chewie?  Hey, let's make some little cute fucker thing that we can sell like Minions.  

And those horse things?  What are...?  What!?

Snoke went from being vaguely mysterious and interesting in TFA to pure pantomime in this horror show.

The only Star Wars film I will not watch again.  

• Upvote 2

I agree with Section's review.  This movie is all over the shop.

I was completely bored after about an hour and a half and desperate for it to end so I could be put out of my misery.  But on and on it went until we reached peaked crap with Luke facing up to a fleet of AT-ATs on his own. 

What were those little cute things hanging out with Chewie?  Hey, let's make some little cute fucker thing that we can sell like Minions.  

And those horse things?  What are...?  What!?

Snoke went from being vaguely mysterious and interesting in TFA to pure pantomime in this horror show.

I did warn you!

• Upvote 1

I agree with Section's review. This movie is all over the shop.

I was completely bored after about an hour and a half and desperate for it to end so I could be put out of my misery. But on and on it went until we reached peaked crap with Luke facing up to a fleet of AT-ATs on his own.

What were those little cute things hanging out with Chewie? Hey, let's make some little cute fucker thing that we can sell like Minions.

And those horse things? What are...? What!?

Honestly TK give it a few days. If this is what you feel like now just wait until you actually start thinking about specific parts of the plot and the thought process behind them. What they have actually done to the main story line is an absolute travesty. I just cannot fathom that somebody hasn’t stopped him making this film when they’ve seen the script and story boards.

As one of my mates has said the only way episode 9 can rescue this now is if Luke wakes up and it was all a dream.

Honestly TK give it a few days. If this is what you feel like now just wait until you actually start thinking about specific parts of the plot and the thought process behind them. What they have actually done to the main story line is an absolute travesty. I just cannot fathom that somebody hasn’t stopped him making this film when they’ve seen the script and story boards.

As one of my mates has said the only way episode 9 can rescue this now is if Luke wakes up and it was all a dream.

I don't want to piss on anyone's chips, it just wasn't for me.

I think this trilogy is suffering from too many ideas.  There isn't an overall vision to build a coherent story across three movies. 

http://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2017/12/18/grown-man-doesnt-like-laser-sword-movie/?utm_source=WWN_Facebook_Page&utm_medium=Facebook&utm_campaign=Social_Link&utm_content=Article

A CONDENSED ball of rage known locally as 42-year-old Martin Hanley has confessed to everyone following his social media channels that he did not care one bit for a movie released recently centering around laser swords.

Hanley, taking to Facebook at least 73 times over the course of the weekend, was quick to inform everyone that the new laser sword movie was nothing like the laser sword movies he enjoyed as a child and that having to sit through the laser movie three times in the last few days ranks as the worst moment in his or anyone else’s life.

“I can’t fucking believe it, that was the worst thing I’ve ever seen in my life,” Hanley explained, while pointing out that other laser movies he watched as a child were just infinitely better and providing a detailed 80 page essay on why this is a scientifically verifiable fact.

“No point in even enjoying Christmas now,” added Hanley, who brought his 10-year-old and 8-year-old children to see the movie which he has now banned them from expressing a positive thought about.

“If they even dream of praising that bag of shite again, they’ll be grounded for 3 months,” explained the grown man, who predicts he may never get over this traumatic experience of going to see a film.

While Hanley’s opinion was echoed by other people of a similar age in his social media feed, the father-of-two’s hurt and upset was furthered when one person expressed the opinion that they thought the laser sword movie was actually ‘alright’.

“Fucking get over it, it was grand,” explained Hanley’s wife, Anna, who can expect a solicitor’s letter regarding divorce some time in the coming days.

Star Wars is way overrated if you take the series of movies as a whole. We're 8 movies in on the original timeline with a side story to boot and in all that time there has been one great movie, 2 or 3 good/okay ones and the rest pretty terrible.

Lots of energy wasted on what essentially was an advert for George Lucas to sell a shit load of figures for a shit load of money.

Star Wars is way overrated if you take the series of movies as a whole. We're 8 movies in on the original timeline with a side story to boot and in all that time there has been one great movie, 2 or 3 good/okay ones and the rest pretty terrible.

Lots of energy wasted on what essentially was an advert for George Lucas to sell a shit load of figures for a shit load of money.

Star Wars, The Empire Strikes and even Return of the Jedi, are up there with the best ever kids/family films, in my opinion.

• Upvote 3

Star Wars, The Empire Strikes and even Return of the Jedi, are up there with the best ever kids/family films, in my opinion.

I'm in the minority here but Return of the Jedi is my favourite of them all, it's got absolutely everything. Star Wars for me is as much about the little moments. Like the bit where the Super Star Destroyer goes down and Admiral Akbar slouches in his chair as if to say 'fucking thank fuck for that, I'm going home for a nap and a wank'. 

That's why I liked Rogue One, there was a scene where Urso was in the prison wagon and the stormtrooper was sat across from her covered in mud with his head down like 'what's this now? another pickup?'. It was a real world. 

• Upvote 2

I'm in the minority here but Return of the Jedi is my favourite of them all, it's got absolutely everything. Star Wars for me is as much about the little moments. Like the bit where the Super Star Destroyer goes down and Admiral Akbar slouches in his chair as if to say 'fucking thank fuck for that, I'm going home for a nap and a wank'.

That's why I liked Rogue One, there was a scene where Urso was in the prison wagon and the stormtrooper was sat across from her covered in mud with his head down like 'what's this now? another pickup?'. It was a real world.

TLJ was full of unique moments. It gets better on more views. Rian Johnson fills the movie with subtle bits you miss on the first viewing.

The look Hux gives Kylo after the line "I want every gun we have to fire on that man"

Luke not giving off any footprints when confronting Kylo, when Kylo has made lots/skidded red stuff all over the place before the big reveal

Luke and Yoda turning to watch the fire together in silence as the scene ends after Yoda's line "Luke, we are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters"

For me, the film will grow to be considered a lot better when the next one comes out.

• Upvote 1

Also, Yoda pissing himself laughing and taking the piss out of Luke when he's trying to burn the tree and the ancient books - simply as (which we see at the end of the film twice on the Falcon) Rey has already left the planet with the books.

Another case of Luke being dramatic again and Yoda owning him and rolling his eyes like in Empire.

Rian Johnson said he made a deliberate decision to have the Yoda that Luke knew rather than the one the audience knows from the prequels too. They went as far as getting the original Empire puppet and using that for Yoda in the Last Jedi.

Thinking about Snoke, the reaction to his death is way over the top. People saying that we don't enough about him seem to not remember that we knew nothing about the Emperor until the prequels. In Star Wars he's mentioned in one line. In Empire he appears on screen for about two minutes. In Return of the Jedi he sits on his throne, mouths off about how powerful he is, tortures Luke and then gets thrown down a hole by his protégé. How is that different to Snoke in these new movies? It took three full prequels to give us the Emperor's back story, we had none of it in the original movies so I find it strange that everyone now needs to know everything about Snoke.

People who complain it's like a Marvel movie seem to want a lot of the dots joined up... just like a Marvel movie joins everything together in the MCU.

Rian Johnson said he made a deliberate decision to have the Yoda that Luke knew rather than the one the audience knows from the prequels too. They went as far as getting the original Empire puppet and using that for Yoda in the Last Jedi.

Thinking about Snoke, the reaction to his death is way over the top. People saying that we don't enough about him seem to not remember that we knew nothing about the Emperor until the prequels. In Star Wars he's mentioned in one line. In Empire he appears on screen for about two minutes. In Return of the Jedi he sits on his throne, mouths off about how powerful he is, tortures Luke and then gets thrown down a hole by his protégé. How is that different to Snoke in these new movies? It took three full prequels to give us the Emperor's back story, we had none of it in the original movies so I find it strange that everyone now needs to know everything about Snoke.

People who complain it's like a Marvel movie seem to want a lot of the dots joined up... just like a Marvel movie joins everything together in the MCU.

Exactly, point well made. I can see the issue with some of the humour (the iron that looks like a ship landing for example) but people complained TFA was a rehash of ANH, something different is made and people complain.

JJ Abrams knows how this is going to go, he was executive producer on this film (even saying after reading the script it's the film he wish he could have shot) the final script was pitched to Disney yesterday for Episode 9 so it's not like they are currently frantically trying to work out how to sort this all out as a result of TLJ.

People saying this film is the death of Star Wars (RIP childhood ruined memories and all that nonsense) no doubt will feel differently in two years when we're given the conclusion of the series and the bigger picture.

Doesn't Leia say 'God speed' at one point? Rey also mentions 'my soul' or something. That's some sloppy shit. There was a lot of that, such as Del Torro 'selling out' the resistance's plan to leave in the cloaked shuttles even though he was never privy to it.

I've no problem with Snoke's death, and likes Yoda, I also liked the fact they used the puppet. I just thought it was a boring film.

Phasma has to go down as the most utterly pointless character ever, why did they even cast someone famous in that role? She was prequel esque.

There's a severe lack or character development with the villains in general. Where star wars used to do subtlety, now it twats you over the head. You'd get things like Mister Bronson giving daggers to captain Piett because Vader liked one of his ideas, now it's Hux gurning at Kylo Ren, the only thing missing was him saying 'supreme leader snoke likes me more than you!'

On top of all that, I still haven't got a clue what's going on in this universe. The ENTIRE republic and its fleet appears to have been destroyed because a handful of planets got nuked. The First Order has somehow gathered virtually unlimited resources to build star destroyers and Snoke's ship, all crewed with lots of English people they found somewhere. I expected at least 'some' exposition. Although that'll probably be explained in some obscure graphic novel down the line. Again, some lazy arse shit.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Upvote 2

I’m pleased that JJ Abrams is doing episode 9 as he captured the essence of it all brilliantly in episode 7.

He has a lot of work to do.

Given his co-writer for Episode 9 also co-wrote the shambles that was Batman v Superman I hope they have something good in mind.

If anything Rian Johnson cleared up some of the mess JJ himself caused by creating this whole big mystery over Rey's parentage which was never going to end in her being a Solo or Skywalker.

Looking forward to seeing what they come up with to close this all off. Hopefully it will all fit together well and I'm sure it will.

On top of all that, I still haven't got a clue what's going on in this universe. The ENTIRE republic and its fleet appears to have been destroyed because a handful of planets got nuked. The First Order has somehow gathered virtually unlimited resources to build star destroyers and Snoke's ship, all crewed with lots of English people they found somewhere. I expected at least 'some' exposition. Although that'll probably be explained in some obscure graphic novel down the line. Again, some lazy arse shit.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

The resistance is heading to the outer rim where Leia has people who will join the fight, explains that in the film. Expect Episode 9 will be set some time later.

Explains in TFA that the First Order stole children across the galaxy to raise and then build their troops, Finn touches on that in that film.

Snoke funded the First Order, shortly after the fall of the Empire they hid away outside of the galaxy until they had enough resources to return. Mentions that in a recent book - I'll give you that one.

There is one major difference between Snoke and Palpatine though; we hadn't seen anything before A New Hope. Now, we've seen what happens before TFA and given that Snoke appears to be old it's only natural for the audience to ask where he was in the films that have gone before. That MUST be answered, the fact that it's not is just ridiculous and makes me not care about Snoke at all. Even if they say he wasn't involved and was living in the Outer Rim, they have to at least address it.

• Upvote 2