You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Emre Can

WhiskeyJar

In my opinion Emre Can already is the finished article and that's why he's attracting interest from the likes of Juve and able to command a reported £160k p/w. 

He's a marvelous midfielder and we're lucky to have him.

He'll be a loss but presumably Naby Keita will soften the blow. 

In my opinion Emre Can already is the finished article and that's why he's attracting interest from the likes of Juve and able to command a reported £160k p/w.

He's a marvelous midfielder and we're lucky to have him.

He'll be a loss but presumably Naby Keita will soften the blow.

If he is already the finished article I am more than happy for him to leave.

I think he's average, and the average comes from some very good stuff and some very poor stuff. That's what is so infuriating. Lots of average players are at least consistent in being average. They are what they are, and it's hard to have strong feelings about them one way or the other. Most teams can accommodate, and even need, this sort of water carrying player if the blend is right. But for me, Can is a different type of average to that.  

When I see a player like Emre Can score a good goal or make a bursting run past a couple of players, he looks like an elite midfielder. No two ways about it. But on the other hand, when I see him dawdle on the ball and get his pocket picked, or when I see him turn like an oil tanker, or when I see him switch off and be unaware of a runner going past him, it infuriates me. 

This is why you get some posts saying he's a great player and other posts saying he's not all that. 

What will be will be with this one. If he leaves I'll think of the poor stuff. If he ends up staying I'll hope for more of the good stuff. But for me, he's not so good that I would upset the apple cart and give him the sort of wage that will give us bigger problems.  

He should be playing as the number 6. It's his next position, he's a vastly better player than Henderson in the role. We need to stop trying to shoehorn him into one of the attacking midfielders, it's not his game.

Agreed. At a big club, he's a #6. Doesn't have the consistent technique or the guile to play further up the pitch in a side that needs to dominate the ball.

There's no way a player who gets regular game time for the top ranked international side can realistically be defined as "average". It defies sense.

Fair enough. The term "average" isn't adequate. In fact, even rubbish players that we sometimes talk about are far better than most posters on here ever were!

If I haven't got the vocabulary right, I hope the thrust of it made sense. 

He does some great stuff. He does some rubbish stuff. He doesn't do enough of the former to be an elite player, but neither does he do so much of the latter that I can dismiss him as rubbish.

Whatever wage that equates to at Liverpool is fine by me, but he's borderline in terms of getting a spot in our current best eleven, with everyone is fit and on form, and when we add Keita it gets even trickier.

It's fair though, he's definitely better than average, but I wouldn't be upsetting the apple cart to accommodate him as he's not that good. 

• Upvote 1

I assume we would have been offering about £100k anyway if that's what Lovren got & financially it seems ridiculous to lose a potential £30m+ fee arguing over paying an extra £3m a year in wages.

As to the ' Salah & Mane looking for more money ' argument , then we should be happy to increase wages for elite players who are doing the business as long as it comes with an extended contract. With the figures floating around the demands of the likes of Ozil & Sanchez, along with the increased tv money it seems that £150k pa will be the new £75k pa. Let's be fair , Sturridge has been strolling / rolling around for 3 years on this amount.

In a playing sense I think Can will be a great player in the next couple of years if we find his best position and keep him fit.