You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mignolet

Pureblood

Am I alone in thinking that Mignolet's shot-stopping is overrated?

How many breathtaking, match-winning saves has he actually made? I reckon he gets more credit than he deserves because his debut ended with him saving an eminently savable pen from the worst penalty taker in the league.

How many goals have we let in from long shots recently ?

It seems most of them come from badly defended set pieces

I think Migs problem is not that he cant make saves is that he fails to dominate his area and doesn't catch enough balls cleanly .  Skrtel drops back too deep probably because he doesn't trust his keeper and the whole defense crumbles on far too many occasions.

He should go because its one key area we could relatively easily improve. Getting a top drawer striker is much more difficult  

Mignolet has made incredible saves to keep us in games and win us points. His first few months at the club were his best obviously his penalty save vs Stoke, he made great saves against Villa and Man Utd as well. Off the top of my head he made an incredible save on the opening day last season to deny Southhampton to deny Long saves against Everton st Goodison this season on Naismith and lukaku, a few at WHL particularly on N'Jie, one last season against Spurs the 3-2 win at home (Balotelli only league goal) against Chelsea this season Oscar's chip from 45 yards out, Against Norwich on Jarvis at 1-1 this season, the 0-0 at the Emirates save on Giroud. These are all saves Pepe wouldn't make but the panic he instills in the defence in front of him just Isn't worth it.

Unless we're talking about someone like De Gea who, game in game out, saves United's bacon and wins them points, shot stopping is immensely overrated.

Mignolet looked brilliant at Sunderland because they were shit and he faced tons of shots. They still conceded alot but Mignolet looked good because he would make like 5 other saves. Here, he faces many fewer shots. For example, we've conceded 3 shots on target in the last few games, yet have conceded 4 goals. That's a save percentage of zero. Great shot stopping there innit.

My point is if you're a keeper playing for a big club, who don't allow many chances, actually saving shots isn't something you'll be doing a lot of, so who fucking cares how good Mignolet apparently is at it if he faces very few shots a game?

The bottom line is, he's costed us points with his ridiculous mistakes and his inability to do the basics of goalkeeping right and its not good enough

• Upvote 1

Bloody loads. Bollocks to suggest otherwise.

Like a lost japanese soldier in the jungle still fighting the war on his own, the nazis and those that backed mignolet to "come good", an upgrade that didnt upgrade for an extra ten million we couldve used on a decent DM, the wars over your side lost.

Anytime a cross goes in our box I wish Reina were still here even the one who hodgson and rodgers left under a bus having decimated the defence and changed to man marking as opposed to zonal which reina was more comfortable with.

We still havent recovered from that when before we was pretty solid under pressure.

Mingo couldnt command a box of breakfast cereal.

• Upvote 2

And of course the club want to fucking extend him. This is a club who couldn't be bothered to tie down the fucking Golden Boy winner after his breakout season when he was about to become our most important player but it's apparently a "big priority" to resign a goalkeeper who's average at best and a complete embarrassment at worst.

Sound, 

• Upvote 2

If you had any discernible comprehension skills then you would've noticed that I'm not actually defending Mignolet. (Apart from the fact that he's done loads of good saves, which is pretty much undeniable)

Reina made it blatantly obvious that he didn't want to be here, flashing his nickers at the mancs and pretty much downing tools because he was told Barca were going to come in for him. Mignolet has been a slight upgrade but he's regressing and needs to be replaced.

• Upvote 2

In terms of making good saves; he's made plenty of cpourse. I don't think anyone with at least one working eye and a brain cell would disagree. The problem is the number of fuckups he makes as well as good saves. It's not like he fucks absolutely everything up, just some things. Too many things.

I think youve just fell for rumours coming out the club mate, funny how when suarez made noises we wanted to keep him because it was best for the club and no one thought he would give anything less to the cause and its the same argument for reina. You could tell rodgers didnt like or rate him or saw him as a threat and wanted him out hed made comments about reina a few times that didnt bode well. Signing mignolet was the uktimate step whilst claiming he had no plans to sell reina and that theyd battle it out, you dont sign our last few pounds away when our squad was light on DMs and other positions like CF at the time on a new goalie with no plan to play them.

Judging the forms of a reina or agger or many players who didnt suit Hodgson and his jarg 1950s gk coaches time here is an idiots job but when rodgers come in he didnt give reina a chance but its clear it wouldnt ever matter who was between the sticks we were always liable to have a calamity of a defence due to rodgers shortcomings. Weve badly missed a goalie who could command his box and give our cbs confidence. Most of reinas work was done when the ball was no where near him yes the defence he had sat behind melted first under rafa the spell was broken and then hodgson changed the whole requirements of the back four to shape based shit that meant people started getting in behind a lot more as the four went flat naturally, he required reina stick on his line and not be a sweeper, got rid of zonal and reduced reinas role/strengths he had two bad years and then a good one. There was no need to buy mignolet hes not been an improvement hes been a disaster because how can any defender trust that shy howler prone inexperienced cerrebellum folder without feeling at least a slight unease and uncertainty which is all you need for the opponent to gain advantage in these situations.

Had we signed a better player and improved the team Id not have grumbled too much, its like suarez though, mignolets got away with an awful lot he's been surrounded by systematic ineptitude at the back now klopps getting his moneys worth out the defence simons faults are coming to the fore at critical moments i just hope klopps playing the same game as rodgers was with his claims he signed simon to complement pepes game type tripe when hes bigging mingo up right now, id do the same til i could get better.

Very on-topic piece from who scored.com/skysports...

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/10100251/liverpool39s-simon-mignolet-premier-league39s-most-error-prone-goalkeeper-since-201314

Liverpool's Simon Mignolet: Premier League's most error-prone goalkeeper since 2013/14

By WhoScored.com
Last Updated: 15/12/15 12:37pm

After Simon Mignolet made another costly mistake in Liverpool's 2-2 draw at home to West Brom, we look at the stats behind his performances for the club. And it doesn't make good reading for the Belgium No 1.

Mignolet joined Liverpool from Sunderland after an impressive 2012/13 season on Wearside. However, despite making over 100 appearances for the Anfield club his form this term has come in for criticism.

Reds boss Jurgen Klopp even had to defend his goalkeeper earlier this month, amid rumours he would bring in a replacement in January. "I've had a lot of goalkeepers over the last few years and Simon Mignolet is one of the smartest I have had," said the German.

Here, with the help of WhoScored.com, we compare Mignolet's performances over the past three seasons with 30 other Premier League goalkeepers who have made over 20 appearances since the Belgian joined Liverpool…

Mistakes

No goalkeeper has made more errors leading to goals than Mignolet, since he joined Liverpool. It's a damning statistic for a 'keeper but Mignolet's flap at the cross which led to West Brom's opener on Sunday was the eighth time he's been directly accountable for an opposition goal in the Premier League.

Manchester United's Anthony Martial scored past Mignolet in September
Manchester United's Anthony Martial scored past Mignolet in September
Clean sheets

When it comes to clean sheets, Mignolet is up there with the best in the league. Only Joe Hart has kept more clean sheets in the Premier League since the start of the 2013/14 season. In fact, Mignolet's figure of 28 shutouts is enough to equal David de Gea's record for Manchester United in that time.

Goals conceded

When he's not keeping clean sheets Mignolet is letting in a lot of goals. Since he moved to Liverpool, only Aston Villa's Brad Guzan and Newcastle's Tim Krul - both fighting at the opposite end of the table - have conceded more goals. Of course, Mignolet can't be blamed for every one of the 112 strikes that have hit his net but he ranks some way behind the top 'keepers in the division in this statistic. Mignolet has conceded 23 goals more than De Gea and 36 more than Hart.

Simon Mignolet kept a clean sheet against Bournemouth
Simon Mignolet kept a clean sheet against Bournemouth
Save success

Mignolet's save-to-shot success rate is middling at best. On average, over the past three seasons, the Liverpool goalkeeper has saved 67.6 per cent of the shots fired at him. That puts him 18th out of 31 goalkeepers who have made more than 20 Premier League appearances since his Liverpool move.

Crosses

Mignolet's authority in dealing with crosses appears to be a major problem. Mignolet has opted to punch the ball 80 times since signing for Liverpool - that's more than any other 'keeper in the league. Of course, there's nothing wrong with punching the ball but in this instance it could reflect the Belgian's reluctance to catch crosses.

Mignolet is the only 'keeper who has opted to punch the ball clear more times than he has successfully caught it from a cross (79), since the start of the 2013/14 season. To put that into perspective, the vast majority of 'keepers have caught crosses more than twice as many times as they've punched the ball.

Simon Mignolet has been backed by his boss Jurgen Klopp
Simon Mignolet has been backed by his boss Jurgen Klopp
Overall performance

WhoScored give each Premier League player a mark out of 10 for each performance, based on a wide range of statistical parameters. Of the 31 keepers to make 20 or more appearances in the past three seasons only nine have a lower WhoScored.com rating than the Liverpool man's 6.66.

Watford vs Liverpool
December 20, 2015, 12:30pm
Live on  Sky Sports 1 HD
Get Sky Sports Get a Sky Sports pass
All statistics courtesy of WhoScored.com, where you can find yet more stats, including live in-game data and unique player and team ratings. You can follow all the scores, statistics, live player and team ratings with the new free-to-download WhoScored iOS app.

Also See:
Klopp's culture clash

Houllier: Klopp a Liverpool fan

Recommended by
8 comments
Livefyre
Sign In with Facebook

Post comment as...
Newest | Oldest
Ant James 8 hours ago
Would have been interesting if you had mentioned how many games Joe hart and David de Gea had played in that time, how many goals Tim Krul had conceded in how many games and the best and worst shots saved percentage. A percentage graph would have been nice to make the comparison even easier with the variable in different columns so people could further analyse the information and therefore gain more from the article.

Then we would have been able to judge the difference between his stats and the worst and best goalkeepers in that time, and come to our own conclusion on whether he is overatted or not.

Could have been a very good article with good comparisons between EPL goalkeepers, which is not very common on many sports websites.

FlagShare5LikeReply
Graham Krummeck 9 hours ago
My 2 c worth as a fan for 40 yrs & a couch coach  , shoudent we try get Pep back. Most decent keepers seem 2 only come right in there 30,s (age wise )  look at Peter Shilton , Smikel & even Zoff of Italy & Buffon now . He Mignolet  also seems to have no competition now  ??? besides this keeper who plays the League cup games or what ever its called nowdays 

FlagShareLikeReply
Ryan James 9 hours ago
He makes costly errors at critical moments and he has no presence in the box, whenever he comes for a cross I don't get the impression he's going to clean everything out and claim the ball, its a case of hope rather than expectation! Defenders are not confident in front of him, I wouldn't trust him coming for a cross or even with a back pass. His distribution is also a weak point, he takes too long to get rid of the ball and is nowhere near the level of keepers like Reina in terms of distribution. Get shot in the summer and bring in Butland, - top young keeper.

FlagShare2LikeReply
Jeanne Hiio 9 hours ago
Fans who defend Mignolet will look to his impressive number of clean sheets but they can't ignore the number of goals conceded (though the number includes the season when LFC were winning games 4-3 with a ridiculous defensive record). He is a great shot stopper and can pull off some incredible saves on his day but for me, his distribution also leaves a lot to be desired. Right now, the defence is not doing too badly but the defence needs a reliable commanding presence. 

FlagShare1LikeReply
Jonathan Spiteri 10 hours ago
Belgium no.2

FlagShare2LikeReply
Stephen Scholes 10 hours ago
I've said it for years good keeper not great

If Liverpool had de gea they would have been in top 4 last season and now and Man U wouldn't

That's the difference a world class keeper makes

SAF knew it from Scmichael V D Sar and De Gea

Liverpool haven't had one world class keeper since Brucey G

Probably the most important position on pitch

FlagShare1LikeReply
Andy Lynch 4 hours ago
@Stephen Scholes Whilst I agree with most of what you say, Pepe Reina was world class and I don't think anyone could argue with that especially when he hit his prime. Apart from him then yes the last world class keeper was Brucey G

FlagShare2LikeReply
David Rose 10 hours ago
Only last week they were all singing his praises. The media are a cruel bunch of people waiting to manipulate any stats or performances to sell their stories.

FlagShare1LikeReply

• Upvote 1

Mignolet's save-to-shot success rate is middling at best. On average, over the past three seasons, the Liverpool goalkeeper has saved 67.6 per cent of the shots fired at him. That puts him 18th out of 31 goalkeepers who have made more than 20 Premier League appearances since his Liverpool move.

Told ya!

Recall just a few weeks ago that people were going mad on here about how could FSG keep Rodgers in a job after the United debacle and the like.  Some of us said that the decision to sack him had obviously been made and we just needed to wait until the international break and it would be official, but no, people just wanted the drama in the meantime.

Mignolet's new contract is similar, to me.  I'm about 99.9% certain that Klopp will want absolutely nothing to do with Mignolet in the long term.  However, he also knows that he's definitely, 100% stuck with him until January at the earliest, and if we can't get the keeper he wants in January then he's stuck with him for the whole season.

So what does he say to the public?  He talks about him being very intelligent, about how we want to extend his contract, he laughs off any interest in German goalkeepers.  Because to do anything other than that is tantamount to stealing Mignolet's gloves right before the match.  

Do you really think that as brilliant a football mind as Jurgen's is satisfied with what we're seeing out of Mignolet?  Really?  Of course not!  But he needs to get a decent fee for him to help us replace him, and so he talks him up.  We may even offer him a new contract, who knows?  But you can be sure that if we do, it's just to protect his fee from dropping as he gets to next summer with a year on his deal.  

Not a chance he'll be our main keeper next season, and I'd say odds are at least even he goes in January.  No matter what is being said to the public.

• Upvote 1

Recall just a few weeks ago that people were going mad on here about how could FSG keep Rodgers in a job after the United debacle and the like.  Some of us said that the decision to sack him had obviously been made and we just needed to wait until the international break and it would be official, but no, people just wanted the drama in the meantime.

Mignolet's new contract is similar, to me.  I'm about 99.9% certain that Klopp will want absolutely nothing to do with Mignolet in the long term.  However, he also knows that he's definitely, 100% stuck with him until January at the earliest, and if we can't get the keeper he wants in January then he's stuck with him for the whole season.

So what does he say to the public?  He talks about him being very intelligent, about how we want to extend his contract, he laughs off any interest in German goalkeepers.  Because to do anything other than that is tantamount to stealing Mignolet's gloves right before the match.  

Do you really think that as brilliant a football mind as Jurgen's is satisfied with what we're seeing out of Mignolet?  Really?  Of course not!  But he needs to get a decent fee for him to help us replace him, and so he talks him up.  We may even offer him a new contract, who knows?  But you can be sure that if we do, it's just to protect his fee from dropping as he gets to next summer with a year on his deal.  

Not a chance he'll be our main keeper next season, and I'd say odds are at least even he goes in January.  No matter what is being said to the public.

I don't think it makes as much sense as all that. Of course Klopp wants to build his confidence, that's how he operates, also he'll have interest in other goalkeepers because he presumably wants Liverpool to not remain a mid-table club. This contract though, Mignolet has 2 and a half years left on it at 60k a week and it's the proper newspapers that are saying a deal is very close. If he's getting a pay-rise or similar salary to protect his value then I'd be wary as his value isn't likely to be all that high and we could end up struggling for buyers later down the line.

• Upvote 1

Would love us to find a better replacement in January because it's ages since we had confidence in our goalkeeper and they are match-winners. I just can't see it happening in the immediate short-term with what is being said and rumours of replacements drying up. The contract situation will be revealing if Klopp is talking Mignolet up as being untouchable but the contract talks either fail or only add a year on.

Anyway, the cynic in me thinks it makes more sense for these owners to leave the goalkeeper position alone for now and concentrate on other weak positions because there isn't generally much value in developing goalkeepers for good sell-on fees.

The new contract to protect value makes sense in theory, not that Mignolet's will be a great deal either way.

Because Klopp will Shirley be involved in at least advising on future plans and player worth it's less concerning, but as we all know this club specialises in placing it's players on wages which make them prohibitive to the level of club who'd want them if made available, at which point they generally end up being a pointless drain for years, either directly or via subsidised loans.

Most new contracts in football come with a payrise, so will keep an open mind now someone eminently sensible and grounded is involved, but still wait for proof this isn't just another one of those decisions which doesn't play out as planned when put into practice.

I'm hoping the rumours and reports regarding all our transfers are guesswork at the moment, similar to how Rodgers was supposed to be targeting the whole Swansea squad (though that had more than a grain of truth in it). It just seems too straightforward, we sign a German manager and suddenly half the papers are running with us signing Germans or Dortmund players.

Either way, getting a keeper of any quality in January is nigh on impossible.

The new contract to protect value makes sense in theory, not that Mignolet's will be a great deal either way.

When does his current deal run out?

It isn't next summer, is it? 

He isn't very good. We could give him a deal until 2023 and we still wouldn't get more than £7m/£8m for him. Just fuck him off in the summer for £5m.