You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool vs Chelsea (Apr 27 2014)

WhiskeyJar

So basically Brendan's said he's not in anyway affected by mind games, that whatever eleven Chelsea field will be more experienced and more expensive than ours. That it's disrespectful to players in your squad to refer to them as a 'weakened team', that Mourinho should rotate his team midweek because our pressing and intensity could cause them to lose against Athletico. Also that we can't fail, even if we lose because we've exceeded everyones expectations.

Brendan throwing a few subtle mind games in of his own, i like it.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

So basically Brendan's said he's not in anyway affected by mind games, that whatever eleven Chelsea field will be more experienced and more expensive than ours. That it's disrespectful to players in your squad to refer to them as a 'weakened team', that Mourinho should rotate his team midweek because our pressing and intensity could cause them to lose against Athletico. Also that we can't fail, even if we lose because we've exceeded everyones expectations.

And it's the best type of mind game, because it's true. We will make them work for anything they get, and it will tire them out, and it will mean they're not 100% for their next game. Your move, dickhead.

Rodgers is starting to take the piss now hes even mastering the mind games side of things, hes shat over Jose who's supposedly the best.

The comment about calling the team he puts out as the weaker ones was the perfect response and has made mourinho look a fool.

TEAM NEWS

Liverpool forward Daniel Sturridge will have his fitness monitored and could replace Lucas Leiva on Sunday.

On-loan Victor Moses is ineligible against his parent club, while Jordan Henderson remains suspended.

Chelsea could name a weakened team with next week's Champions League semi-final in mind.

Petr Cech and John Terry are absent through injury, while midfielder Ramires is banned after his off-the-ball incident last weekend.

MATCH PREVIEW

How Chelsea must be regretting their carelessness against Sunderland. The Blues should be going into this game knowing that a win would make them odds-on for the title. As it is, Jose Mourinho knows that the effort of knocking Liverpool off course may only serve to make Manchester City favourites.

He's talking pragmatically about prioritising the Champions League semi-final second leg, which may be understandable given Chelsea's sudden spate of injuries and suspension.

But Liverpool will do well to be wary of Mourinho, never a man to spurn a glimmer of a chance of glory.

The Portuguese will want to win at Anfield if he possibly can. If Chelsea do win, and then take the requisite six points from their last two games against Norwich and Cardiff, there is still a chance of him pocketing a league and Champions League double in his first season back.

For a manager ever-conscious of his legacy that's far too tempting a thought to just give up on.

Although Liverpool can afford to draw and still take the title, I think this is a game they'll need to win for their sanity as much as anything. Three points leaves them some wriggle room for the trip to Palace and a final-day Anfield encounter with Newcastle, but a draw against Chelsea and Liverpool are well and truly on the high-wire - one slip away from calamity.

Liverpool's 11-game winning streak has been remarkable. There have been some sweeping, almost uncontested, wins, but also four high-scoring, high-anxiety, nerve shredding, single-goal victories such as Norwich last time out which have tested every sinew of their resolve. This could be another.

City boss Manuel Pellegrini has suggested that if Liverpool extend that sequence to 14 straight wins, they deserve to win the title. It's his job to make sure they have to.

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

• Liverpool have won 13 of the 21 Premier League meetings at Anfield, (D4, L4).
  • Chelsea have only won nine of the 70 all-time league encounters at Liverpool (D15, L46).

Liverpool

• Liverpool are unbeaten in 16 matches (W14, D2) since their 2-1 defeat against Chelsea on 29 December.
  • The Reds have won 11 consecutive Premier League matches; their top-flight record is 12 set in October 1990.
  • In the reverse fixtures against their final three opponents (Chelsea, Crystal Palace and Newcastle) this season, the Reds earned four points.
  • The Reds have scored 15 goals in the first 15 minutes of matches this season - nine of them in the first five minutes alone.
  • Liverpool have now scored three or more goals in 20 Premier League games this season, matching Manchester City's record set two seasons ago.
  • Luis Suarez is only the second player to reach 30 Premier League goals without a single penalty (Andy Cole scored 34 in 1993-94).

Chelsea

• Chelsea have lost two of their last three away games (W1), and all three matches have ended 1-0.
  • The Blues have earned just nine points from the last 18 available.
  • Chelsea have the best Premier League defence (26 goals conceded) and the third-best attack (67 goals scored) behind Liverpool (96) and Manchester City (91).
  • They have only trailed at half-time in three games this season, a Premier-League low.
  • Chelsea have lost just one of seven Premier League games played in between Champions League semi-finals (W4, D2).
  • In two of Chelsea's six league defeats this season the winner has been scored by a Liverpool loanee (Fabio Borini in Sunderland's 2-1 win last weekend and Oussama Assaidi in Stoke's 3-2 win on 7 December).
  • Fernando Torres has failed to score in 337 Premier League minutes against former club Liverpool.

On a separate note. I don't think people realise how rare Brendan Rodgers is. He's one of these people that comes along only so often, I love him and am privileged to have him managing us.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Guest Numero Veinticinco

On a separate note. I don't think people realise how rare Brendan Rodgers is.

I reckon some of us do. Some of us knew when we were doing poorly.

• Upvote 2

On a separate note. I don't think people realise how rare Brendan Rodgers is. He's one of these people that comes along only so often, I love him and am privileged to have him managing us.

The way he skilfully and calmly handled what must be the most high pressured press conference of his career, speaks volumes. He's lucky to have us and we're lucky to have him. Red or Dead.

• Upvote 1

We 'll be without Henderson, Enrique, and possibly Sturridge, and Suarez has looked knackered, so I'm not sure if there's a better time to play us.

I hope Hazard plays and he tears his hamstring.

we ve been without enrique for most of season.

we miss henderson and sturridge but if sturridge is fit and allen is in for henderson we re still a very strong team. if sturridge doesnt make it then sterling goes up top again and he is flying at the minute.

we ve a great record at home to chelsea and the atmosphere tomorrow is going to dwarf even the CL semis.

He can be one of those guys that comes around 3 or 4 times in 50 years. What he's done is almost beyond belief and it doesn't even look like a fluke, we're building an empire here!