You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

There is nothing wrong with our midfield

Pureblood

I want a Xabi, Masch and a gerrard.

That was a good midfield.  

Personally I would rewind back to 2014.  I would have Gerrard (captain) as a deep-lying playmaker at the base of a midfield diamond, Allen and Hendo as the two "shuttlers" ahead of him and an on-fire Raheem Sterling at the tip of the diamond.  I would tell Stevie to be careful in possession against a Mourinho team.  We would end up as Champions of the Universe.

Might cop some flak for this, but the most solid our midfield has been in recent years (imo) is that first half a season under Kenny when he played Spearing and Lucas in the middle and just used them as a foundation to give the likes of Maxi/Kuyt et al more freedom to attack. Since then we have had significant balance issues of one kind or another.    

• Upvote 3

It's odd that for one of our most obvios failings people can't settle on the style of midfielder they actually want to sign.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Probably one who we notice is on the pitch would be a good start.

Might cop some flak for this, but the most solid our midfield has been in recent years (imo) is that first half a season under Kenny when he played Spearing and Lucas in the middle and just used them as a foundation to give the likes of Maxi/Kuyt et al more freedom to attack. Since then we have had significant balance issues of one kind or another.    

It's not an unreasonable point. Our hotch-potch transfer policy has left us with a selection of midfielders that can't gel to consistent effect because some look better as part of a midfield 3 and others look better in a tandem. Our most experienced defensive midfielder is better in a tandem but we don't have another who can compliment him without us having to put a square peg in a round hole elsewhere. And the ones who look stronger as the further-forward players in a 3 can be made to look ineffective because the one protecting behind them isn't best suited to that position. It's Klopp's turn to fix that conundrum.

I think Klopp had it spot on in targeting Dahoud. For me, you watch that kid and he is special on the ball. He's got arrogance, he's not afraid of tight spaces and he's got a huge engine on him. I think if we'd have gotten him, he'd have immediately fixed our biggest issue. Dahoud, Can, Allen, Grujic and then maybe a Gary Medel type would have been brilliant. That midfield would have every quality you could possibly want.

Alas, we sold Allen, still have Henderson, we'll most likely end up missing out on Dahoud and Klopp has shown no indication in wanting a player in the mold of Medel. It's all a little frustrating but I think Wijnaldum will atleast start showing his quality in the middle of the park. He's much better there than he's shown up until now.

It's odd that for one of our most obvios failings people can't settle on the style of midfielder they actually want to sign.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

People? Do you expect an Internet forum to have a single voice on what type players we need?

Very odd indeed.

• Upvote 2

Its what often gets missed. A slightly defensively top heavy MF can set all the others free.

Viz bringing on Didi in Istanbul. Not really a defensive move at all.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Numero Veinticinco

That midfield didn't win a league title and people were still complaining about it back then too.

Suarez Sturridge partnership didn't win the title either. Is probably consider having that partnership back.