You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

little things that annoy the shit out of you

boots123

People listen to music with really negative attitudes. I've recommended LPs to people before and they come back to me asking what one particular track was all about when they seemingly enjoyed the rest of the album.

You mention Revolver & they'll go on a rant about how they hate Yellow Submarine rather than talk about Here There & Everywhere.

They swallow the lazy music journalist concept that anything longer than four minutes is self indulgent without even listening to it & god forbid anyone with talent should play an extended solo. 

For me, writing songs to get on the radio & make money is more self indulgent than playing an amazing 20 minute solo on a saxophone to eight people in a club.

Then you've got Vlad, who goes out of his way to listen to seven minute guitar solos that he then has to ignore because they're 'plain boring'.

A mind is like a parachute, it only works if it is open.

11 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

The first four and a half minutes of Breaking Into Heaven is boring and definitely goes on for too long though. Just admit it, you bastard. 

It’s impossible for me to listen to it when I’m driving. I can’t get my phone out and skip past the shite, therefore I have to skip the whole song. I’m missing out. 

My main gripe is with the shorter version being removed from Spotify. It was on there previously on the ‘Very Best Of’ compilation but that’s been fucked off and I’m annoyed. 

That's fine if you think something is boring, then don't listen to it. But you don't have much room to complain if you listen via Spotify as they don't support musicians.

Personally, I don't skip anything on an album, ever really. If I respect an artist enough to buy their record, I respect them enough to listen to their work the whole way through.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mook said:

Good music is never plain boring, long or short.

It's quite possible you are listening to the wrong guitarists.

We don't all have the same ear or taste so we share different likes and dislikes. This is how there are many different artists and genres. Short and to the point for me.

On 05/02/2024 at 11:16, Mook said:

I like it, I like a lot of sort of monotonous groove stuff where you need to get into the right headspace to appreciate it.

Not everything has to be three minutes long with guitar hooks and catchy melodies.

No shit, 25k posts on the forum.

• Haha 3

33 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

We don't all have the same ear or taste so we share different likes and dislikes. This is how there are many different artists and genres. Short and to the point for me.

Like I said, there's never any real need to listen to a long piece of music unless you want to. It's not like they play Agharta by Miles Davis in Tesco.

1 hour ago, Mook said:

Like I said, there's never any real need to listen to a long piece of music unless you want to. It's not like they play Agharta by Miles Davis in Tesco.

You need the ScotMid for that.

Having a pleasurable pee, but then noticing your pyjama bottoms drawstring has made a dive for the bowl and is now damp (yes it is that lengthy).

All the more annoying that the same set, but different colour, I also own are currently in the wash for the same reason. 

I’m on the verge of needing three sets at this rate.

Who do I think I am? Rockefeller!

Luckily it’ll soon be summer and I can get back to lounging round the house naked. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Elite said:

People who park outside people's houses and leave their music on blasting. Quite a few do this on the school run, ignorant cunts. I leave my music on but you can't hear it outside the car.

Heightened levels of rage if it’s either side of 8am and pm

38 minutes ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

Making rice.

The majority of times I make it perfectly. Then sometimes it just doesn't cook right despite me doing the exact same bloody thing each time. Frustrates the prostrate out of me. 

What’s your method mate? (For cooking rice you pervert) 

2 hours ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Countries that Donald Trump called ‘shit holes’ whilst he was president of the USA. 

“It’s a shithole, everybody knows this, they all love me there” 

7 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Heightened levels of rage if it’s either side of 8am and pm

What’s your method mate? (For cooking rice you pervert) 

“It’s a shithole, everybody knows this, they all love me there” 

Salted water, bring to the boil. Boil for about 10 mins or so. Then lower down the heat and simmer until the water has been soaked up by the rice. 9/10 times it goes perfectly fine. But then there's times it hasn't cooked and I've to add more water, even though I use the same measure each time. Freaks me nut out 

6 hours ago, Mook said:

People listen to music with really negative attitudes. I've recommended LPs to people before and they come back to me asking what one particular track was all about when they seemingly enjoyed the rest of the album.

You mention Revolver & they'll go on a rant about how they hate Yellow Submarine rather than talk about Here There & Everywhere.

They swallow the lazy music journalist concept that anything longer than four minutes is self indulgent without even listening to it & god forbid anyone with talent should play an extended solo. 

For me, writing songs to get on the radio & make money is more self indulgent than playing an amazing 20 minute solo on a saxophone to eight people in a club.

Then you've got Vlad, who goes out of his way to listen to seven minute guitar solos that he then has to ignore because they're 'plain boring'.

A mind is like a parachute, it only works if it is open.

Are these the same psychopaths that don't like 'When I'm Sixty Four'?

14 minutes ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

Salted water, bring to the boil. Boil for about 10 mins or so. Then lower down the heat and simmer until the water has been soaked up by the rice. 9/10 times it goes perfectly fine. But then there's times it hasn't cooked and I've to add more water, even though I use the same measure each time. Freaks me nut out 

Rinsing the rice before?  

I boil it from cold then put the lid on for a minute while it’s still boiling then just turn the heat off and leave it for 20 minutes (lid on). Been doing that for about a year or so and it works fine for me, comes out perfect. I struggled with it for years before, may as well have made rice pudding. Lid on and no stirring once it’s boiling is definitely key, same as rinsing it before. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Rinsing the rice before?  

I boil it from cold then put the lid on for a minute while it’s still boiling then just turn the heat off and leave it for 20 minutes (lid on). Been doing that for about a year or so and it works fine for me, comes out perfect. I struggled with it for years before, may as well have made rice pudding. Lid on and no stirring once it’s boiling is definitely key, same as rinsing it before. 

I never rinse it actually. I thought that just applied to Asian countries where the rice hasn't been through thorough cleaning process. Must give that a go.

The way I do it works most of the time but just the odd time it's wrong. Its probably down to me not paying attention or something like that.

I read something before about using a paper tea towel to help soak up the water. Ever tried that? Seems like overkill.