You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

How long can we carrry a player like Sterling?

Code

Sterling in the papers doing the old peace pipe. In some ways the mini downward spiral he is on right now (form not bad but not that great; questionable off pitch behavior; contract wrangle, unauthorized interview and falling foul of public perception) might work to our advantage. 

Another team might feel that it's more trouble than it's worth at the moment, with all the fuss around him. He's not that good of a player - yet - to put up with all that, but he is good enough, both now and more importantly in terms of what he could be, to mean that we won't sell unless it is for a very large sum. 

I'm predicting he signs a new deal in the summer and there's a bit of a love in all round from manager, player and perhaps others at the club. 

I predict pretty much that; however the new deal will of course have a release clause which will be paid by someone in Summer 2016.

I am so frustrated. Yesterday when Utd beat City it was really hammered home. They came from 7th place and bought players under a manager with a proven track record for success. We sell Suarez (I want too know who made that decision, a player under a new 5 year deal and who did not realise that that player made everyone else better than they have been since) and bought players who were generally inadequate with the money. There are many views that i have seen for some of the failings, but the truth is, we cant get the job done. 

We have a buy young policy. Raheem said in his interview that he, as a young player, needs older players with experience and calibre (Gerrard 5 years ago) but where are they now?

FSG probably have yet to develop a moneyball algorithm on what to do with a real young star like Raheem. I feel that the management of the club do well in terms of financial viability, but they is absolutely no experience or track record for any long term success on the pitch.

Fortunately for him, Raheem doesn't love the club, he can come to the conclusion that we are slipping into mid table mediocrity because there is nothing to suggest, from recruitment, to wages, to any success not largely down to Suarez that says anything will change.

Will I be welcoming Danny Ings to Anfield this summer? More squad fillers? Will we be taking hits on last summers transfers to get them out of the club?

Even from the point of view of style. We need a ball playing sweeper keeper, we buy Mignolet. We need pacy mobile intelligent forwards and bought Balotelli and Lambert.

Maybe he really isnt trying to just get more money. Its a value judgement. I love the club and have to suffer the incompetence.

• Upvote 1

Money don't make his world go round
he just wants to play in-front of a London crowd
it's a fancy, happening place
when he scores he covers his face

New players we're trying to find
Rodgers' got Danny Ings on his mind
the opposition are shitting their pants with fear
I wonder how much it'd cost to bring Bolasie here?

Cause we're living, we're living in a crazy age
And Raheem, Raheem.. well he only wants a fair wage

Great talent, miles away from being a great player.

His shooting technique is generally awful, seriously fucking awful.

He shoots with the inside of his heel a quite a bit which is just plain fucking bizarre, even his goal today was horrible technique, he's done that chip shot type shit loads of times this season and that's the first time it's came off, he needs to take heed from Coutinho who has sorted his shit out in regards to shooting.

• Upvote 2

I'm probably out on a limb here, but I thought he played well tonight.  He had a real appetite, and was always making runs and looking to get into scoring positions.  Is goal was excellent, though the decision to take the extra touch before the shot was made for him rather fortuitously I think, but there is no doubt that the first touch to take the ball down from Henderson's excellent pass and then the shot were top class.  

Sadly, the other two good chances he had were squandered, which highlights his deficiencies - he just is not consistent in front of goal.  Coutinho is the same; while he is always easy on the eye, the lack of end product continues to frustrate.   

• Upvote 2

I'm probably out on a limb here, but I thought he played well tonight. He had a real appetite, and was always making runs and looking to get into scoring positions. Is goal was excellent, though the decision to take the extra touch before the shot was made for him rather fortuitously I think, but there is no doubt that the first touch to take the ball down from Henderson's excellent pass and then the shot were top class.

Sadly, the other two good chances he had were squandered, which highlights his deficiencies - he just is not consistent in front of goal. Coutinho is the same; while he is always easy on the eye, the lack of end product continues to frustrate.

Agree with that, Sterling and Coutinho looked in a different class to the rest of the team despite the all too obvious chances missed; I'm pretty sure I'd have scored the easy chance Sterling missed. Would love both players to be here for a long time but I'd be surprised if either were.