You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Arcade

Section_31

I completed Operation Thunderbolt in Talacre at the weekend at the cost of only 80p, it was only 20p a go - and it reminded me how fucking boss they were.

There was always a girl who was boss at Wonderboy, and to this day I still remember some of my Double Dragon friends, temporary allies who asked if they could join in and be your buddy for half an hour.

Then there was the sounds:

"Don't move creep!"

"It's in the air!" (that weird 'live action' cowboy game which was revolutionary at the time.)

Loved the arcade, me.

The Turtles arcade game and it's brother, the Simpsons arcade game.

Star Wars Trilogy is the only arcade game me and a mate completed. I did Yavin and the lightsaber levels, he did Hoth and we took turns on Endor. Tremendous game.

Silent Scope was brilliant as was two player Virtua Tennis on the big screen. House of the Dead was ace too.

Further back Final Lap 3 was always a must every Saturday, I was muck at it though. Operation Wolf was possibly my first arcade love along with Atari's Star Wars and it's kick ass cabinet. I remember once in Florida I spied the Empire Strikes Back cabinet, couldn't get over it.

Once got oh so close to completing Sega Rally in the arcade.

Willow had a brilliant arcade game too, remember playing it at Cardiff airport with my Dad whilst waiting to pick up my grandparents.

Outrun, can't forget that either.

Guest ShoePiss

Gauntlet was a brilliant arcade game, I loved that you could have a few of your mates playing at the same time. Outrun was fucking boss too, remember being amazed at the graphics.

Never played Operation Thunderbolt but played the hell out of Operation Wolf on arcade and the speccy.

Spent a lot of time and money on yie ar Kung fu I remember. Was still shit at it.

There was also a game called time pilot (I think) that I loved, starting off with old planes then advancing in time with every level.

The biggest crowd I saw was when a new fighting game came out (name escapes me), this was the first one that looked like real characters rather than cartoony sprites. Fuck knows, would have been in the late 80's I think. Anyway, you couldn't get within 20 feet of it, just catch the odd glimpse of it through the crowd. This bastard was 30p a game! Everything else in the place was 10p. Exciting times.