You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Battlefield 4

Allan

Rent-A-Server & "Death Shield" bug fix

Today, the Rent-A-Server program has started to roll out for console versions of Battlefield 4. This will let you set up your own private and public Battlefield 4 servers, with control of different options from player count to map rotation. Thanks to these customization options, you’ll be able to create games that suit the play style for you and your friends.

We’d also like to inform you that with today’s server update, we are deploying a fix for the issue being referred to as “Death Shield,” where an invisible “shield” would appear around killed enemies, blocking weapons fire. Thank you for being patient as we worked to get this resolved.

5-640.png

How to Rent a Server

Start up Battlefield 4, go to the Multiplayer menu and select “My Rented Servers”. Here you’ll be able to rent a new server and manage the ones you’ve already rented. After choosing server location and duration of the rental, the purchase is complete. You can find your server under MULTIPLAYER / MY SERVERS. After this, server settings like game modes, map rotation, and much more can be altered.

4-640.png

Rental Periods and Prices

You can rent a Battlefield 4 server on console for a number of different days. The price for renting a server is as follows:

1 day ($1.49)
7 days ($6.99)
30 days ($24.99)
90 days ($59.99)

3-640.png

Server Amount Will Increase

Please note that this is a soft launch of the Rent-A-Server program. This means that we initially will have a limited amount of servers. We will however increase the numbers gradually when we see that everything is running as intended.

We hope you will enjoy the Rent-A-Server program. Don’t hesitate to give us your feedback and comments. Thanks for your support, and see you on the Battlefield!

UPDATE 4/29: We have identified rental time issues with the Rent-a-Server Program release on Xbox One and have temporarily removed the feature as we investigate. The servers which were already rented will still be available for play, but admins may not be able to access all the management features at this time. As soon as a fix is in place we will announce its availability. If you rented any servers on Xbox One and are experiencing issues please contact EA Customer Support at http://help.ea.com.

Please stay tuned to the blog for updates. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and appreciate your patience.

Squad Join

Squad Up Before Battle

Squad Join Beta allows you to set up a squad for up to 5 people before joining a multiplayer server. This means that you and 4 of your friends can join a Battlefield 4 match as a squad, and deploy directly in the game together. Once in-game, you and your squad mates are guaranteed to stick together over rounds.

We would like to add that Squad Join Beta is the first iteration of the feature. We will continue to add features and tweaks based on your feedback and comments, and are aiming to release the next version of Squad Join when Battlefield 4 Dragon’s Teeth arrives this summer. Also note that Squad Join Beta is available for PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, and Xbox One.

Before digging into the details, check out this Squad Join Beta tutorial video (note that this clip shows a work in progress).

How It’s Done

To join Battlefield 4 as part of a squad, simply choose “Squad Join Beta” in the game’s multiplayer menu. Here you will be able to see a list of active squads, or create your own. A list of the five slots will appear, with the squad leader indicated by a star. When you’re good to go, just initiate quickmatch to join a game, and you’ll be in-game with your squad mates, ready to bring your team to victory.

Also, if you’ve left your squad and want to re-join it, you can do so – if the squad has a free slot. Joining this way will enable you to both join the squad and the match at the same time.

Other Squad Join Features

As mentioned, this is the first iteration of Squad Join and other features for it are planned, with the first major update coming within the next months (a more exact date will be communicated later). In this multi-release process, we are working on features like managing party members, and making Squad Join available for all game modes.

Initially, Squad Join Beta will be available in the Battlefield 4 base game maps in the Conquest, Team Deathmatch, Obliteration, Rush, and Domination game modes. All the other Battlefield 4 maps and more game modes will be supported in later iterations of Squad Join.

• 2 weeks later...

I regretted getting this at first, especially as I was addicted to BF3. But as times gone on and they've fixed some of this issues, I've really got into it. I was a tank whore in BF3, but they are made of paper in this game so it's forced me to play on foot, glad it has.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

EA has detailed the Battlefield 4 Dragon's Teeth expansion, due out this summer.

It includes four new multiplayer maps set in dense Asian Pacific cities, and revolves around urban warfare.

The maps are Lumphini Garden, Pearl Market, Propaganda and Sunken Dragon.

Also includes are five new weapons, the new Ballistic shield gadget, the R.A.W.R. heavily armoured remotely operated ground vehicle and the new Chain Link game mode, in which you need to link together capture points to win.

As with previous Battlefield 4 expansions, if you have Battlefield 4 Premium you get access to Dragon's Teeth two weeks early.

Dragon's Teeth is the fourth expansion for Battlefield 4. The fifth and last, Final Stand, is also down for a summer 2014 release window, according to the Battlefield website.

• 1 month later...

I revisited it a few days ago and found the same - but I was always shit!

I was completely at a loss on Conquest, didn't know whether to stick or twist, and every choice I made seemingly ended in me being killed. I was on some horrid teams/squads though for a few games, which certainly did not help.

Squad spawning only to find that your squad mate is just dicking around on the bikes/quads when playing Silk Road/Guilin Peaks, trying to ram tanks with his C4 or Slam stuck to the front of the vehicle, except he's about as good as me when it comes to vehicle play, and we both end up as cannon fodder. Rinse and repeat several times when I'd not paid attention to who I'm spawning on. I ended up just hitting square to leave vehicles straight after spawning on squad mates, just to be safe.

After a few frustrating games of Conquest, I went off to play TDM to get my aim sorted and experienced one of the most horrid spawns ever in my time playing FPS games. (I shared the video on PSN, so those who have me on their friends list can check it out, if they like).

I think I'm about done playing it to be honest. I enjoyed it when I did play it and I hammered it for months, but I don't see me consistently returning to it.

The new maps on Dragon's Teeth are good. I've yet to play the new game mode, but will do soon enough. There are loads of people using the new Bulldog assault rifle at the moment, and it seems a little OP to me, but that may just be me thinking that due to the amount of times I've been killed by people using it.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...