You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Joint bank accounts

Paul

Do you have a joint account with your other half?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have a joint account with your other half?

• Yes - for everything.
    • Yes - but only for bills and that; other cash stays mine.
    • No.

There was a thing in today's paper about the way many couples argue over money and often see their earnings as nothing to do with the other person. Mrs Paul and I have always had a joint account (just for rent and bills paid in from separate accounts when first together and then for everything after we got married). However, clearly loads of people don't. We've never had an argument about cash though and it suits us fine.

What says the GF though (private poll for a personal topic)?

Never had joint bank accounts, although we've both said we should get them now we're married we've never done anything about it.

I know her pin number, she knows mine, we both have roughly the same amount of bills coming out of each of our accounts and we just use whichever bank card has money left on it.

I thought most people would have a joint account for paying bills and shit to which both parties contribute an agreed amount, and then your own account for your own money.

As I'm single I wouldn't know though.

I thought most people would have a joint account for paying bills and shit to which both parties contribute an agreed amount' date=' and then your own account for your own money.

As I'm single I wouldn't know though.[/quote']

Yep, this. Joint account for bills and the mortgage, everything else goes into my own account.

Both salaries get paid into a joint account from which a (rather too big) lump goes into another account from which all D/Ds are paid and then a (too small) amount gets paid into our separate accounts which is then our own 'pocket money. Everything left over in the joint account is for everyday spending. Sounds kind of complicated but it seems to work.

Like Paul, we never argue about money, just cry about the lack of it once all the bills have been paid

The wife earns a fair chunk more than me too. And some sad twats reckon I should be embarrassed about it...

Doesn't arse me in the slightest that she earns a fair whack more than me. She's worked hard to be in the position she is so its only fair she gets paid the money she does. I don't spend a lot of money anyway so she spends what I earn too.

I thought most people would have a joint account for paying bills and shit to which both parties contribute an agreed amount' date=' and then your own account for your own money.

As I'm single I wouldn't know though.[/quote']

That's how it worked with me when I was in a relationship. They were the days.

We keep our own accounts. But as were buying a house together, hopefully complete in the next 2 or so weeks, we've just applied for a joint account.

We earn about the same, so we're thinking of dropping in enough cash to cover bills, mortgage and food with a bit left over to save for hols or whatever. Then the remainder stays in your own current account and to do what you want with.

Separate accounts.

I pay Mortgage, Sky/broadband/phone, Home Insurance.

She pays Council tax, water/gas/leccy, TV license and pays for all the shopping.

I like to organise my own money, so no way could I deal with some one else dipping into my money that I account for each month.

Only the last few years have I had a separate account of my own but its mainly empty and I just use it for purchases from the likes of Amazon and Ebay and use it for PayPal payments too.

Its had a good few bob flowing through it since the Bonus Bagging and I still use it for all my betting accounts too.

Dont spend much on clothes but enjoy my gadgets when I can afford them.

I thought most people would have a joint account for paying bills and shit to which both parties contribute an agreed amount, and then your own account for your own money.

As I'm single I wouldn't know though.

That's how we used to work it. We both put in the same percentage of our wages into the joint account which paid all the bills etc and we kept the rest ourselves.

Now I stay at home to look after the baby and she works, so everything gets paid into one account, it seems to work just as easily.