You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Joint bank accounts

Paul

Do you have a joint account with your other half?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have a joint account with your other half?

• Yes - for everything.
    • Yes - but only for bills and that; other cash stays mine.
    • No.

Yep, this. Joint account for bills and the mortgage, everything else goes into my own account.

This is pretty much our story . I pay a high % of my wage into bills account(if you like ) after that it is in effect my money but plenty of ithis goes to kids stuff and family bits and bobs - those that have kids know this shit all adds up.

I do have a bit to myself each month but I do not live a life of Riley

Now if I gave all of my earnings to Mrs Walker - shiiiiiiiiiiiiit is all I could say as she is so shit with money it is unreal.

We have a joint account and it works really well for us. At the moment I am the only one earning a regular income. Mrs G has started a business, but all of her earnings from that are going back in to building it up more. We will have one payday from her business at the end of the year, but our finances are arranged so we live off one income.

In terms of personal spending we both buy personal stuff from the joint account as and when we want it and can afford it. If we're saving for something or out-goings are particularly high for some reason, then we each wind the spending in. We don't use credit cards, loans or overdrafts and save for ourselves and the kids every month. Basically we live to our means and are both pretty disciplined with money.

When we got married, I had given up a well-paid job in retail management to retrain as a teacher and so for the first year my income was minimal. Until we had kids (three years later) I earned significantly less than Mrs Paul. Then she went part time and my earnings went up rapidly via promotion and climbing the then pay scale, so the balance switched the other way.

Last year she went back to full time work and also does some exam marking and so our annual income is as near as damn it identical. None of that caused or causes a problem and, as I said before, we've never argued once in eighteen years together about money; neither have either of us ever criticised or tried to control the other's spending. We simply discuss how flush or not we are and behave accordingly. In a partnership, I suppose - as marriage is meant to be.

Now it's clearly easier to be financially disciplined when you earn a good wage - which we both do. However, we coped the same way through some very lean years too.

There was a thing in today's paper about the way many couples argue over money and often see their earnings as nothing to do with the other person. Mrs Paul and I have always had a joint account (just for rent and bills paid in from separate accounts when first together and then for everything after we got married). However, clearly loads of people don't. We've never had an argument about cash though and it suits us fine.

What says the GF though (private poll for a personal topic)?

Clearly, it wouldnt have been much of an article if all of the couples had had financial arrangements that suited both parties but there were some sad relationships in that piece, Paul, where money seemed to be the only currency recognised by some of the individuals described