You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

P8Z68-M PRO BIOS issues

I COULD enter my bios by pressing/holding "delete".

Since I have installed the MSI R6850 Cyclone, when I attempt to get to my bios, i get flashes of weird colour (think white noise, but coloured), and then a mouse icon appears (which can't be moved) and the computer just hangs there.

I'm trying to update my BIOS but can't get into it at the minute.

Any ideas?

I should mention that the gfx card works plying dirt 3, fifa 12 and playing hd movies fine. I haven't tested it properly yet, but it seems to be working ok.

EDIT:

Removed card

Updated BIOS

Replaced card

Now I don't even get the mouse cursor. I just get a black screen when I press DEL to enter BIOS

Another thing I realized, is that i forgot to look around for sleep settings while I had my BIOS up (i am trying to get hibernate/sleep to work on my pc as the hibernate option isn't showing and the monitor doesn't wake up form sleeping)

I take it you can get into BIOS with another card?

Strange.

Video card BIOS maybe? When it goes into BIOS it'll try to drive the card with a particular resolution and refresh rate, which seems like it's failing on, so I can only imagine some kind of initialisation/handshaking fail going on there.

I take it you can get into BIOS with another card?

Strange.

Video card BIOS maybe? When it goes into BIOS it'll try to drive the card with a particular resolution and refresh rate, which seems like it's failing on, so I can only imagine some kind of initialisation/handshaking fail going on there.

I can get into the BIOS running the GPU in my i5 2500k.

I actually never thought to flash the BIOS on the R6850. I'll google that and cross my fingers.

Try here

Video Bios Collection | techPowerUp

There's a thought. Are you getting any output on the other VGA/DVI/HDMI or whatever else your card has? I wonder if, when it tries to display the bios setup screen, the card is outputting a res/refresh rate that your monitor is not happy about.

I'm using HDMI out and my monitor I my 42 inch lcd tv. Should probably have mentioned that. I don't have any other cable for connecting the pc to the tv but ill check what other outputs my pc has and what inputs my tv has and try another cable.

Thanks for the help!

• 1 year later...

Sorry for bumping from a time machine, but I had left this problem for a while. I needed to enable virtualisation in BIOS as I want to try and get to grips with VirtualBox and Vagrant.

Anyway, I though f**k the gfx card, it can come out and I'll use the PC without it. WRONG. I have a few symptoms I'm hoping will set an alarm off in one of your heads as to what could possibly be wrong.

So here goes:

ALL OTHER THINGS BEING EQUAL, when I try and boot:

With GFX card in and HDMI into GFX card:
- DEL to enter BIOS results in black screen, hangs, have to power off and on
- If I let computers, starts and runs perfectly

With GFX card out and HDMI into integrated graphics:
- DEL to enter BIOS, works fine, enter BIOS, have updated to latest version
- If I let the computer run, it just flashes up ASUS logo, beeps, and loops approx every 10 seconds

NO other settings/cables are being altered. I can't get my head around it at all (no surprise there then).

I have tried resetting the CMOS using jumpers, and it works (in that I'm prompted to setup BIOS upon startup) but it doesn't change the above outcomes.

Any vital info i'm leaving out to help with a diagnosis?