You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

City at home tomorrow

Priory Doctor

I'm not convinced of the new system. There's a danger we are just going to be too damn predictable. Today City showed time and time again, that it's easy to attack the system and trap you in your own third, by simply getting numbers up quick; that forces the backs into a longer ball, which will always be 50 / 50 under pressure. I think the short passing buildup at the back should not be a doctrine, and we should be more flexible in our build up approach.

Unless we tighten up at the back, our defensive play is going to keep us from challenging for any honours this season.

On top of that, City came with a 'three-at-the-back' mentality, obviously showing us no respect, due to our lack of striking options. Suarez' goal, although brilliant in it's execution, was a fortunate decision that went In our favour. City's tactics were proven to be right for the day, having got their point, by pressuring us into mistakes, and three at the back proved to be enough, due to us further squandering chances.

There is MUCH work to be done, and I don't like the defensive tactics. They appear to be set in stone, with the players showing obvious frustration.

I thought we soaked up their attacks pretty well barring the two goals, which were mistakes really (one it could be argued was probably more a miscommunication).

It was also an instance of us needing to be more clinical yet again, we had more than a few good chances. Borini should have had one off that cross from Sterling, yea it's hard to control that but he was all alone and wants to be a top player I really think he needs to finish that. Suarez also probably should have another one and an assist though I don't blame him for that entirely, he rushed and hit it where Gerrard (I think) was but at the same time I'm not sure there any need for Gerrard to move either it looked like he wasn't covered but that's from the tele. Lack of understanding really, which is the kind of thing that will get better with time provided we don't change fucking philosophies again.

I even think Skrtel's mistake wasn't so much the back pass as it was the accuracy and pace of it. He could have easily placed that ball where only Pepe was ever going to get to it first. Should have been more composed still but again it's something that will get better with time as he becomes more used to passing out rather than clearing the ball to wherever.

I'm not convinced of the new system. There's a danger we are just going to be too damn predictable. Today City showed time and time again, that it's easy to attack the system and trap you in your own third, by simply getting numbers up quick; that forces the backs into a longer ball, which will always be 50 / 50 under pressure. I think the short passing buildup at the back should not be a doctrine, and we should be more flexible in our build up approach.

Unless we tighten up at the back, our defensive play is going to keep us from challenging for any honours this season.

On top of that, City came with a 'three-at-the-back' mentality, obviously showing us no respect, due to our lack of striking options. Suarez' goal, although brilliant in it's execution, was a fortunate decision that went In our favour. City's tactics were proven to be right for the day, having got their point, by pressuring us into mistakes, and three at the back proved to be enough, due to us further squandering chances.

There is MUCH work to be done, and I don't like the defensive tactics. They appear to be set in stone, with the players showing obvious frustration.

Not sure what game you were watching mate. Reina didn't have a save all day. First goal Skertel got a slight touch to knock it away from Reina unfortunately hit Kelly and bounced favorably. Second was a gift. They had Kolorov, Zabaletta and Milner so were playing a wing back system that reverts to 5 at the back when you don't have the ball. Not to mention 2 of the best defensive midfielders in Europe.

We allowed them have the ball in the middle third but in reality. nasuri, ballotelli or Milner didn't get a kick. Shelley had as mich impact on the game as ya ya toure, despite him bundling the ball in for the first.

Your post shows you are a glass half empty mope with a limited understanding of the game.

I know it was a moment of madness from Skrtel, but was really gutted after the game. Thought we deserved the win and felt bugged by it for most of the day. (god knows how Martin felt himself.) Hopefully we'll start getting the wins we deserve if we keep playing that well and challenge for top a 4 place properly.

Not sure what's with the tags either.......maybe Tom R?

Not sure what game you were watching mate. Reina didn't have a save all day. First goal Skertel got a slight touch to knock it away from Reina unfortunately hit Kelly and bounced favorably. Second was a gift. They had Kolorov, Zabaletta and Milner so were playing a wing back system that reverts to 5 at the back when you don't have the ball. Not to mention 2 of the best defensive midfielders in Europe.

We allowed them have the ball in the middle third but in reality. nasuri, ballotelli or Milner didn't get a kick. Shelley had as mich impact on the game as ya ya toure, despite him bundling the ball in for the first.

Your post shows you are a glass half empty mope with a limited understanding of the game.

This post is SO full of exaggerations, it's a joke.

Our defence this season, if it doesn't pick up quickly, is going to cost us any chance of honours, of any sort. it is slow, clumsy and lacking awareness of what the opposition is doing. It was glaringly obvious at The Hawthorns last weekend, and it continued against City.

One point from a possible six.

Do yourself a favour - watch the game & enjoy it, and leave it at that.

You're a lying, bullshitting fucking oddball. We all know it. So stop bothering to carry on this charade. You never went. And knowing where the fucking McDonalds is on the coast road isn't exactly impressive. You probably did go there, eating fucking Chicken Nuggets all afternoon.

I really am beginning to like you immensely!!

I wish we had some better smilies on this forum, like f365. The ones we have currently do not let me express my emotions correctly.

I suppose this one will do:lol::lol:

This post is SO full of exaggerations, it's a joke.

Our defence this season, if it doesn't pick up quickly, is going to cost us any chance of honours, of any sort. it is slow, clumsy and lacking awareness of what the opposition is doing. It was glaringly obvious at The Hawthorns last weekend, and it continued against City.

One point from a possible six.

Do yourself a favour - watch the game & enjoy it, and leave it at that.

The defense is having to go from sitting deep and hacking it clear at the first sign of danger to playing high up the pitch and building from the back, anyone who thought or thinks that going is going to be a seemless transition is delusional.

We are desperately in need of a top class centre forward. If we had one, this team would go from mid-table mediocrity to champions league qualification.

Carroll is horse shit and Suarez isn't much better.

Please make it happen Brendan. Offload Carroll and sign someone who knows how to score a goal. Not a carthorse or a head down merchant. A fucking goal bagger.

HA HA HA HA

I'm fucking pissed.

All in all, we played brilliantly, and to concede twice to individual errors... its fucking annoying.

We just took it to the champions with the youngest looking side in ages (Sterling 17, Shelvey 20, Coates 21, Borini 21, Kelly 22, Allen 22), so all in all, plenty of positives to take from this match.

A pity Lucas went off in the 3rd minute, but Shelvey really stood up and impressed when compared to his dismal performance last week. That was probably an anomaly, probably due to trying to carry a midfield which had Adam and Spearing in it. this week with actual players he looked very good up against quality opposition.

Allen is just a cracking player. Just as small as Jay, but makes up for his lack of height with a cracking brain. A proper footballer. Males you realise that its not Jays height that leads to the problems in his game, he's just not good.

Borini runs just as much as Kuyt, and showed some good movement. I'd like to see him played centrally though, with Suarez cutting in from the left.

As for Coates, very good game, got away with one lunge on Toure i think, but overall, for a relatively inexperienced lad to come in and do well against the defending champs speaks volumes about his ability.

Sterling... wow, just misses out on MoM because of Allen.

The defense is having to go from sitting deep and hacking it clear at the first sign of danger to playing high up the pitch and building from the back, anyone who thought or thinks that going is going to be a seemless transition is delusional.

I don't think it's so black and white at all. The defence didn't ever only 'hack it clear' last season. They were just generally more flexible. Now, it's a doctrine that must be adhered to, this short defensive passing game, and I still say it could be our undoing, by virtue of the fact that it is predictable, and can be countered with numbers. My concern is that it will not actually be effective as a long term plan ever, and another season will be wasted, with yet another manager down the tubes and no continuity.

Like I say, I'm watching closely for improvement sooner, rather than later. A smooth seemless transition it certainly isn't going to be, no.

The second goal for City had fuck all to do with the 'system' and fuck all to do with the requirement to pass the ball. It was a shit back pass that was wayward and short.

God forbid any of the naysayers admit they may be slightly biased when commenting on Liverpool. We were by far and away the better team, so that is what the system is bringing us (if you are wanting to judge on 2 league games)

The second goal for City had fuck all to do with the 'system' and fuck all to do with the requirement to pass the ball. It was a shit back pass that was wayward and short.

God forbid any of the naysayers admit they may be slightly biased when commenting on Liverpool. We were by far and away the better team' date=' so that is what the system is bringing us (if you are wanting to judge on 2 league games)[/quote']

Aye. The backpass wasn't necessarily the problem; the fact he didn't look at where he was playing it before he did definitely was. Shit backpasses happen. Big Sam's a launch it kind of manager - and James Collins is one of the most agricultural defenders I've seen, and he hit a shocker back to the keeper this weekend. Distin in the FA semi last year as well. Rodgers will hopefully demand more movement in front of a defender in possession in future, and Skrtel will look up next time.

All part of the journey...

One of the most positive aspects yesterday was there were no passengers. Everybody played their part from the back to the front. Even when we lost Lucas so early, Shelvey came on and did brilliantly.

Sure the game was at Anfield but we were playing a team that won the title in the final seconds, won the Charity shield and came from behind last week to win. City have confidence, they are champions so they deserve to have it.

We could have went with experience (Carragher, Enrique, Adam, Downing) but we went with youth (Coates, Kelly, Shelvey & Sterling). Rodgers has balls.

We led twice and in truth should have won, but we drew. We have 2 new signings that haven't kicked a ball for us yet, 2 league games in and the future looks promising, we must agree with that?

One of the most positive aspects yesterday was there were no passengers. Everybody played their part from the back to the front. Even when we lost Lucas so early, Shelvey came on and did brilliantly.

Sure the game was at Anfield but we were playing a team that won the title in the final seconds, won the Charity shield and came from behind last week to win. City have confidence, they are champions so they deserve to have it.

We could have went with experience (Carragher, Enrique, Adam, Downing) but we went with youth (Coates, Kelly, Shelvey & Sterling). Rodgers has balls.

We led twice and in truth should have won, but we drew. We have 2 new signings that haven't kicked a ball for us yet, 2 league games in and the future looks promising, we must agree with that?

Yeah, agree with this. I thought yesterday was very positive.

The skrtel mistake I reckon Coates could of kept it out with a bit more determination. Not a dig at him I just think it was within reach.

His positioning was of, too far away from his partner - even if the blame lies with Skrtel...

I think it was certainly a courageous team selection. That said, I'd be reluctant to read too much into that game. We're Liverpool at Anfield in a a new manager's first home game; traditionally, you're always going to get a performance in a game like that. It's when we're favourites against a team with XI men behind the ball that we'll see if we've got anything about us.

His positioning was of, too far away from his partner - even if the blame lies with Skrtel...

Nope, Coates was where Rodgers wants the centerbacks to be when in possession.

We'll have to get used to having much less cover because it's a feature of how Rogers sets up. Allen is the one who let Tevez go, but again that's because in this system the priority is to be an option for a pass rather than to cover. Rodgers' idea of defense is possession before cover and consequently Reina will be much busier than usual, as Vorm was last year, Mistakes like yesterday's will result in one on ones far more frequently than otherwise.

Reina will have to step up this season and our centerbacks are going to have to unlearn a few habits.

We need to be brave and go for this-we saw the frailties they had at the back last week(I know we had ours,but that was after we were down to ten men). I would rather lose having a go at them ,than playing a tight game and an inevitable 1-0 defeat. They,and other top clubs,have shit themselves at Anfield in recent years when we have gone at them from the start.Let's see if Rodgers is brave enough,or if he is another Hodgson in the making.

Well Rodgers has definitely been lurking on here.Brave selections,giving the youngsters a chance and leaving the dross and has beens on the bench.

We deserved a win, the most annoying aspects of yesterdays game being that we scored two beautiful goals against the League Champions yet gave them two goals they never deserved with defensive mistakes.All we need now is to see most of Kenny's bad buys offloaded and the funds given to Brendan to sign proper players.

• Downvote 1

We're going to absolutely shag Arsenal all over Anfield.

Not convinced personally we created next to nothing from open play bar the Sterling cross to Borini. Our 2 goals were from set pieces, goals which won't happen every week.

We need someone thats able to create clear cut chances for team mates in the attacking third, I don't think Borini/Sterling/Suarez are able to do that. Suarez has his head down too often and Borini just doesn't seem to be a very creative player.

We'll see against Arsenal whether it was just the fact we were playing against the champions or whether its just our attack thats too blunt but I think goals will still be a problem for us over the season if we don't bring in 2 new attacking players before the window closes.