You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfer Thread 2012

llego

@Knox_Harrington: We've (I.e. @TheAnfieldWrap) been led to believe that Dempsey's desperate but Fulham have hugely increased their demanded fee for Dempsey.

@Knox_Harrington: Dempsey is steaming for the move. LFC want him. But Fulham supposedly are acting the massive, massive goat.

@Knox_Harrington: Fulham want far, far, far beyond 7m supposedly for Dempsey.

Perhaps not leaving it to the absolute last couple of hours of the transfer window to try to cut a deal with a club who aren't that desperate to offload wasn't the brightest idea? Even less smart is to choose to offload your only other recognised striker the day before.

We must surely be the worst operators in the transfer market anywhere in the world?

@Knox_Harrington: We've (I.e. @TheAnfieldWrap) been led to believe that Dempsey's desperate but Fulham have hugely increased their demanded fee for Dempsey.

@Knox_Harrington: Dempsey is steaming for the move. LFC want him. But Fulham supposedly are acting the massive, massive goat.

@Knox_Harrington: Fulham want far, far, far beyond 7m supposedly for Dempsey.

Thats why you don't wait minutes before the end of a window like a desperate dog with his tongue out to sign a fucking player.

We should just release the entire youth system. Including Sterling, seeing as he isn't old enough to drink or gamble yet.

Reduce the playing staff, the real key to success. The FSG way.

Ha ha ha, yeahhhhhhhhh, coooooool.

I'm fully expecting it to be a real tough ask to get 4th, and I wasn't expecting the squad to be sorted in one Summer. I do expect us to not only be challenging for 4th next year, but also 3rd or 2nd even. Another Summer of canny dealings and we'll be almost be there.

I wouldn't write Morgan off either, I think he could really push on, he gets in the right positions, he'll score goals.

This my friends is a backlash of the reckless spending of last summer, they backed Dalglish and look what it got them, I don't fucking blame them.

We spent about £76million on Adam, Downing, Carroll and Henderson. Why should they spunk anymore money? We had our big summer, and we blew it. Nobody seems to want to blame Dalglish, why is that?

Side note; only Jim 'Mongy' White could get excited about the breaking news of Billy Sharp going on loan to Forest.

We are absolutely screaming out for a goalscorer, so we loan a £35 million pound forward to a prem club and bring in nobody? Is that honestly what's gonna happen? Wow, just wow, our gross incompetence over the years has been a sight to behold but even by our Mount Everest sized standards this is mightily impressive......just wow

This my friends is a backlash of the reckless spending of last summer, they backed Dalglish and look what it got them, I don't fucking blame them.

We spent about £76million on Adam, Downing, Carroll and Henderson. Why should they spunk anymore money? We had our big summer, and we blew it. Nobody seems to want to blame Dalglish, why is that?

Side note; only Jim 'Mongy' White could get excited about the breaking news of Billy Sharp going on loan to Forest.

So now whats the plan?

Offload half the square every summer, leave the fans shitting themselves at top players wanting away, not backing the current manager despite saying he needs three strikers as a "bare minimum"?

Dalglish fucked up, so did Comolli, SO DID THE OWNERS - they sanctioned every fucking deal, as did that cunt their friend told them to hire. If they dont want us to be a top club. They can fuck off. How fans can happily sit back and what our club get degraded into Aston Villa is beyond me.

Berbatov, yes (Fergie wouldn't sell to you, but he's the quality of player I'd have though would come to Liverpool).

Bent, yes.

Regarding the source of the funds for transfers... if they came from the club (the business) rather than (say) capital investment from the owners, it's two sides of the same coin really.... albeit the purchases will have been amortised

over the duration of the contract and so not actually the headline '30+ million'.

I think (correctly me if I'm wrong)... each investor's stumped up pocket change of (say) 10m each, and bought the club. If the club gets lucky and gets back in CL, they get their windfall?

And if they don't make CL, they've lost little?

Of course, they'll try and help things along a little with promoting the Liverpool 'brand', and possibly extend sponsorship deals that already exist with their other ventures so that they cover Liverpool too etc.

If that's their strategy (nothing wrong in that, for them) - then Liverpool FC has gone from the frying pan into the fire.

That's not to say the other strategy (investing in the club, to get it back on track) is any better. Sounds good for the club, but hasn't a good history of success in football - not if the owners are truly expecting to reap profits from it all. Football's a notoriously bad investment for most (not all) investors.

What do YOU think FSG's motives for buying Liverpool are?

There is a fundamental difference between a cash injection from the owners ( normally in the form of some sort of Director’s loan) which involves cash out from the owner, and allowing the club to spend the same amount out of its own money, no cash out is required. Yes that money has still been spent, but one is front loaded, the other is back loaded.

Your summary of FSG’s strategy is spot on.

Why do I think FSG bought us? A combination of reasons, we were cheap , they fancied a slice of the burgeoning world football market, they fancied dipping a toe into the European sports market with one eye on NASCAR, and they thought that wiping out the debt, good management and windfall growth would grow their investment with very little downside risk. And for a bit of fun ( in a good sense)

If any of them had wanted to invest more they could have done either within the FSG framework or as a solus bidder – none did.

We spent about £76million on Adam, Downing, Carroll and Henderson. Why should they spunk anymore money? We had our big summer, and we blew it. Nobody seems to want to blame Dalglish, why is that?.

Paranoia.

The departures of Torres, Meirelis, Babel, N'gog, Insua, Kyrgiakos, Poulsen, Juvanovic raised at least 70m.

This season we had

Carroll, Bellamy, Kuyr, Rodriguez, Aquilani, Aurelio, Adam, Spearing leaving

In the meantime we have £50m per season sponsorships from Warrior and Standard Chartered.

Continue with your calculate bullshhite about FSG spending money.

We also recouped more than £70 million on the sales of Torres, Meireles and Babel.

We have hugely increased our sponsorship and merchandising revenues, we have also made a huge cut to our wage bill.

The reason I don't blame Dalglish is because all of those players were signed within a very short space of him returning. These deals, especially Carroll would have been lined up before he had taken over here.

We also recouped more than £70 million on the sales of Torres, Meireles and Babel.

We have hugely increased our sponsorship and merchandising revenues, we have also made a huge cut to our wage bill.

The reason I don't blame Dalglish is because all of those players were signed within a very short space of him returning. These deals, especially Carroll would have been lined up before he had taken over here.

Yeah, and that'll impact us next year... as we had to give most of those players a 'golden handshake' to fuck off.