You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Ubuntu/Linux thread

Anyone here running Ubuntu? I've recently made the switch due to my laptop being on its last legs and I thought I could put an extra spring in its step.

However I'm having a few issues and was wondering if there is anyone on here with experience in Ubuntu who could make the transition a little smoother.

Guest ShoePiss

Wine is used to run windows apps on linux so you could try that or get the sopcast player :-

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ferramroberto/sopcast

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install sopcast-player

Wine is used to run windows apps on linux so you could try that or get the sopcast player :-

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ferramroberto/sopcast

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install sopcast-player

I've installed that, but when I click it to run it, nothing happens :-S

I'll try and get wine now

• 2 weeks later...

Yea, so, I kind of gave up with Linux. Just installed a fresh copy of Windows 7 Ultimate on my laptop.

Linux was making everyday tasks a fucking nightmare for me, and I lost patience. I think the amount of knowledge required to install some very basic programmes in Linux is utterly ridiculous.

Also, stability is supposed to be a major plus. Mine crashed regularly.

Not for me I'm afraid. Windows 7 is running much smoother, with ALL the applications I want and need on a regular basis, albeit a fraction slower. Suits me fine.

I'll maybe venture towards Linux again some day, if it's a little more user friendly, or I have hours to spare on teaching myself how to run a command line OS.

• 1 month later...
Yea, so, I kind of gave up with Linux. Just installed a fresh copy of Windows 7 Ultimate on my laptop.

Linux was making everyday tasks a fucking nightmare for me, and I lost patience. I think the amount of knowledge required to install some very basic programmes in Linux is utterly ridiculous.

Not for me I'm afraid. Windows 7 is running much smoother, with ALL the applications I want and need on a regular basis, albeit a fraction slower. Suits me fine.

I'll maybe venture towards Linux again some day, if it's a little more user friendly, or I have hours to spare on teaching myself how to run a command line OS.

Boy, am I glad I learned to use linux all those years ago. Pays dividends now. Pity you didn't manage to get it up and running within a day.

The overwhelming majority of the programs you'd need for day to day use are in the software manager/store. Installing is just a click and a password entry. I'm not even sure a new user of Ubuntu or Mint would even need to access the terminal that much.

The overwhelming majority of the programs you'd need for day to day use are in the software manager/store. Installing is just a click and a password entry. I'm not even sure a new user of Ubuntu or Mint would even need to access the terminal that much.

I looked in the software centre, but the applications I wanted either weren't there, or didn't install to a function level with "just a click". Just my experience.

I looked in the software centre, but the applications I wanted either weren't there, or didn't install to a function level with "just a click". Just my experience.

Once you start deviating from the preferred packages for the distro, as you say, it starts getting hairy.

• 8 years later...
On 16/03/2012 at 20:56, Aw Geez said:

I have recently installed the latest version of Ubuntu - I plan on installing onto all my PCs alongside Windows 10 - and it has definitely moved towards a much more user friendly interface. It's still a much more technically minded OS so you do have to know what you're doing for the more advanced stuff, but there is a lot more click and run functionality plus a OS Store for installing apps. Much more user friendly.