You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Roy Hodgson, know your role and shut your mouth

Quality that interview, he's absolutely spot on. What pisses me off the most is that Hodgson has actually crafted some kind of image as a trailblazing coach during the world cup by - erm - trying to copy our entire model and packing his squad with our players. Now this shit, he's got some balls.

There's a picture of Hodgson with his arm round Sterling which sums it all up for me.

Hodgson is probably saying to himself "sod all this sports science, all Waheem needs is an arm awound his shoulder and a bit of a Bwithtish bulldog spiwit speech wight from my 35 years of experwience team talk playbook and he'll be alwight. Those tirwed hamstwings will be as wight as wain"

• Upvote 1

He said: “What is the effect of fatigue on the body? If you accumulate fatigue, you nerve system becomes slower.

The signal from your brain to your muscles travels slower, arrives later. So you are making explosive football actions like sprinting, shooting, landing, turning with a slower nerve system. It means you are vulnerable as you have less control of your body.”

This is the same problem in Roy. Only in his case, he tries to quicken up the arrival by his weird head banging!!!

• Upvote 1

Hodgson the real villain in Sterling row - and players won't trust him any more

By Eurosport 8 hours ago Paul Parker

Raheem Sterling seems to have been thrown to the lions after committing the crime of being "tired" for an England game, but for me the real issue here lies with Roy Hodgson and his tendency to commit verbal gaffes. It is a problem that is undermining him as a manager, never more so than in the past few days.  After he made the mistake of revealing that Sterling had told him he was struggling with fatigue ahead of the Estonia game, all those England players will now be looking at Hodgson and fearing they can’t trust him after he gave out privileged information regarding Sterling’s fitness to the press and public.

If they want a one-to-one chat to discuss something sensitive, how can they be confident that he won’t spill the beans again? Although they would be slightly more guarded anyway with an international manager, you expect the same bond of trust that you get with your club boss, and Hodgson’s loose tongue has put that in jeopardy. You expect the same confidentiality as you would from your club doctor. Sterling would have thought that whatever he said to Hodgson would be kept in the strictest confidence. It should only come out if the player decides he wants it to come out – Hodgson has no right repeating it publicly.

If I told a manager in confidence that my fitness was a problem and he disclosed it to the press I’d be absolutely fuming and very embarrassed. I’d be desperate to let my side of things be known.  Every time Hodgson picks a squad now, there will be players in there who won’t trust him, and won’t be sure about confiding in him. When he starts wondering if players are struggling mentally or physically, he is going to have to guess as they probably won’t tell him. That trust has been broken and they won’t risk the information coming out to the press

Maybe he wants to try and appease everyone at the moment, to let people know what is going on and to present a different, inclusive England. Maybe the public have got a right to know what is going on.  But the bottom line is that if you are a club manager you do not let information like that out – and if you are England manager you should not let information like that out either.  He shouldn’t be doing that to Raheem Sterling because in my opinion it is disrespectful to the player. We don’t know precisely what Sterling’s wording was, but Roy’s was fairly blunt and didn’t really help the youngster.

It was also disrespectful to Liverpool Football Club in general, and the last thing Roy needs to be doing is disrespecting an institution of English football which provides the core of his team. He has made a mistake by upsetting the Liverpool fans, the club he used to manage and, perhaps most importantly, Brendan Rodgers.  Because Rodgers will be steaming. Hodgson has, in effect, questioned the Liverpool boss's methods and cast doubt on how Rodgers and the club take care of one of their young players.  In doing so Hodgson really hasn’t done himself any favours and has to be careful now. He is dependent on Liverpool players in his starting line-ups and Rodgers is from Northern Ireland – why should he do England a favour?

I must be honest: it didn’t surprise me to see Hodgson put his foot in it again as this is the man who revealed Rio Ferdinand would be dropped from his international plans when speaking to a random punter on the tube.  Hodgson also made those unguarded comments about Wayne Rooney’s Scouse accent, said he hoped John Terry would get off the Anton Ferdinand FA charge and tried to claim footballing reasons were behind his decision to take Martin Kelly and not Rio Ferdinand to Euro 2012. He has got another case of the Hodgsons at the moment: he is engaging his mouth before he thinks.

Some of his verbal gaffes have been relatively harmless, but this slip over Sterling could have very real repercussions. He needs to have club managers on side if he is to get access to all his players for qualifiers and friendlies in the build-up to Euro 2016 but there will be plenty of bosses who think his conduct has been lacking over the past couple of days. Will they let him use their players in upcoming friendlies?  I also think this slip-up will damage his relationship with his players to a degree. Remember, someone in that dressing room already leaked details of Hodgson’s reference to a space monkey when talking about Andros Townsend during a World Cup qualifier against Poland in October 2013. There was no racial intent of course, but someone understandably felt unnerved by the use of such a clumsy metaphor.

At some point you have to wonder when he still deserves to be England manager. Look at how Terry Venables lost his job: he was doing fantastic work with England as they impressed at Euro 96 but was unable to carry on due to off-the-field legal issues. Then Glenn Hoddle started to build an impressive young team, only to be sacked when making some silly comments about disabled people.

Roy is still in a job despite his own verbal diarrhoea, but if there were any half-decent alternatives he might be under considerably more pressure.

Paul Parker

• Upvote 7

You only have to look back at what happened to Michael Owen to see what can happen if you push a 19 year old too much too soon....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAwpdJG28mc

Owen himself even admits that himself that it affected him for the rest of his career...

April 12, 1999: Owen tore a hamstring for the first time playing for Liverpool at Leeds. Aged 19, his blistering pace lost its throttle. “Getting that massive injury at Leeds has probably changed and shaped my whole career,” said Owen. “Since I was 19, I’ve been compromised. If I did that now, it would be surgically repaired like it’s brand new. I wouldn’t even know I had an injury. Back then you just let it go.

“I basically run on two hamstrings on my right leg and three on the other. I’m losing a third of the power. If I hadn’t done that, 90 per cent of the other injuries wouldn’t have happened. I would have been the all-time leading scorer for England.

“In the meantime I’ve won the European Player of the Year and a load of trophies while compromised. I could look back on my career like everyone with ‘what if this or what if that?’. If I’d still been in one piece from the 1998 World Cup and gone through my career, what type of player would I have been?

In his youth, Owen resisted efforts to rest him. He recognises this is partially to blame for his later setbacks. “God, b----- hell, yeah,” he says. “When Gérard Houllier was saying I couldn’t play every game, I’d say I’ll rest when I’m 30. He was probably right, wasn’t he?

“You want to play in every game. I was always the best player at every age since I was seven. I was in every youth tournament, playing for England Under-18s when I was 15, for the county under-11s when I was seven, always playing above my age.

“Steven Gerrard benefited when we were breaking through because, although he was phenomenal at 14, he couldn’t stay fit. That was the biggest blessing in disguise for him for a longer career at the top without massive injuries. I was ready-made to play a higher level when I was young but I paid the price.”

Also interesting that Owen (who'd have thought those two words interesting and Owen would go tothether) says that having little niggles helped Gerrard to sustain his career

The sad thing is English football will never change while the likes of Hodgson is kept in charge and also dinosaurs like Shearer, Danny Mills, Scholes and Tony Gale??? agree with him...

• Upvote 1

Interesting that the heat is getting turned up on him. More than a few sticking the boot in now  and calling him for a know-nothing fuckwit. Just waiting for the FA to come out and say they have complete faith in him and you know the endgame has begun,  Get ready to circle the waggons Woysie.

You only have to look back at what happened to Michael Owen to see what can happen if you push a 19 year old too much too soon....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAwpdJG28mc

Owen himself even admits that himself that it affected him for the rest of his career...

April 12, 1999: Owen tore a hamstring for the first time playing for Liverpool at Leeds. Aged 19, his blistering pace lost its throttle. “Getting that massive injury at Leeds has probably changed and shaped my whole career,” said Owen. “Since I was 19, I’ve been compromised. If I did that now, it would be surgically repaired like it’s brand new. I wouldn’t even know I had an injury. Back then you just let it go.

“I basically run on two hamstrings on my right leg and three on the other. I’m losing a third of the power. If I hadn’t done that, 90 per cent of the other injuries wouldn’t have happened. I would have been the all-time leading scorer for England.

“In the meantime I’ve won the European Player of the Year and a load of trophies while compromised. I could look back on my career like everyone with ‘what if this or what if that?’. If I’d still been in one piece from the 1998 World Cup and gone through my career, what type of player would I have been?

In his youth, Owen resisted efforts to rest him. He recognises this is partially to blame for his later setbacks. “God, b----- hell, yeah,” he says. “When Gérard Houllier was saying I couldn’t play every game, I’d say I’ll rest when I’m 30. He was probably right, wasn’t he?

“You want to play in every game. I was always the best player at every age since I was seven. I was in every youth tournament, playing for England Under-18s when I was 15, for the county under-11s when I was seven, always playing above my age.

“Steven Gerrard benefited when we were breaking through because, although he was phenomenal at 14, he couldn’t stay fit. That was the biggest blessing in disguise for him for a longer career at the top without massive injuries. I was ready-made to play a higher level when I was young but I paid the price.”

Also interesting that Owen (who'd have thought those two words interesting and Owen would go tothether) says that having little niggles helped Gerrard to sustain his career

The sad thing is English football will never change while the likes of Hodgson is kept in charge and also dinosaurs like Shearer, Danny Mills, Scholes and Tony Gale??? agree with him...

Got a bit more respect for Own now. Never knew his hamstring wasn't surgically repaired and I guess was left to heal naturally. He paid the ultimate price. Imagine what Rodgers would do if the same thing happended to Stirling but on England duty?

Incidently I remember watching that game when Owens hamstring went. He was pegging it after a long ball down the Leeds left wasn't he?

Edit:

Ha! Its in the video isn't it?