You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Your views  

215 members have voted

1. 1. Your views

• You happy about this?
    • Disappointing?
    • Or only time will tell?

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Numero Veinticinco
I am sure everyone would have been delighted if we had signed someone more exotic, but it isn't always a guarantee. People rave about David Silva, who cost 30m, but he had the same number of assists as Downing and scored fewer goals. For every Suarez, there are plenty of others who fail.

Where are you getting your stats from, mate. In all comps, Silva had 15 assists and 6 goals according to wikipedia (6 and 13 according to espn), Downing scored 8 but only had 7 assists in all comps.

Rory Smith has just made a really good point on Twitter! That Adam, Caroll, Henderson and Downing are signed as an aggregate and not as individuals. I suppose we all knew that anyway.

If Downing brings the best out of Caroll we will have a beast on our hands, who will bring the best out fo Suarez who in turn will ease the pressure on Gerrard. Adam and Henderson can provide excellent service to Caroll, Martin and Dann (?) which could give us goals from set peices which we haven't had since Hypia against Arsenal in 2008!

This is great news, downing is a fantastic player and professional, a great passer of the ball, quick and can score a few goals. He is heading towards the peak in his career with the players around him that he will have he will be a great signing! Trust kenny, he knows exactly what he is doing!

'Heading towards the peak' ?? I'd say peaked. In fact he's well and trully on the downward slope. If we've paid 20 million, it's far too much for an interim stopgap of what 4-5 yrs??

Still, the money we get for Meireles, now that he's been given permission to 'talk with potential buyers' will go someway towards compensation.

Where are you getting your stats from, mate. In all comps, Silva had 15 assists and 6 goals according to wikipedia (6 and 13 according to espn), Downing scored 8 but only had 7 assists in all comps.

Off the premier league site. I should have said league only.

Silva has been a great signing for City - if Downing is a similar success i will be v.pleased

and Silva cost £24m not £30m

'Heading towards the peak' ?? I'd say peaked. In fact he's well and trully on the downward slope. If we've paid 20 million, it's far too much for an interim stopgap of what 4-5 yrs??

Still, the money we get for Meireles, now that he's been given permission to 'talk with potential buyers' will go someway towards compensation.

we should be looking for a min fee of £15m from Inter - especially if they are flush from selling Snjeider to the tune of £35m

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Silva has been a great signing for City - if Downing is a similar success i will be v.pleased

and Silva cost £24m not £30m

I think to justify that 20m fee we're looking for around 10 goals and 10 assists, or a variant of it.

I'd be a massive hypocrite if I said I don't have a few reservations with this signing. I think he is massively overpriced and he isn't someone who has excited me thus far in his career.

But now he's signing it is important for us to remember a few things.

For years we've missed out on number 1 targets through pissing about and haggling over a million or two. Look at the likes of Dani Alves and Simao who were both set to sign, probably countless others who we don't even know about. Whether we rate the player or not, the players Kenny has bought are undoubtedly his preferences. Everyone knows we've paid top dollar, but the owners have trusted his judgement and backed him with substantial funds. That's all we can ask for.

I don't think this will be the end of the dealings either. There is no way that we won't sign someone from abroad this summer and there is still a good 6 or 7 weeks of the window to go. I am not convinced we desperately need a LB as Johnson did a great job there, and with Aurellio, Flanagan, Robinson and Kelly also to chose from for the full back slot we are fairly well stocked. I can see defensive cover coming in, maybe another forwards too. I'm still hoping a 'marquee' signing like Mata is pulled out the bag but we'll see, probably asking a little much there. It sounds like some of the deadwood is slowly but surely being shifted out too.

Like I said I'm not Downing's biggest fan. A few people have said he's come on leaps and bounds in the past couple of years. I hope so because the player I watched at Boro seemed pretty mediocre. Exciting times though, Kenny and the club must see something in him so all the best to the lad.

Edited by Randy Marsh

4-5 years is some bloody stopgap. If Downing plays for us for 4-5 years, then his value to us will have been worth it. If, within those 4-5 years he helps us win another title and who knows how much more, then I'll be all the more enthused at the prospect of signing 4-5 year stopgaps.

I've just had a call saying that it was "well over £25m up front and it will rise to well over £35m with add ons"

This guy has never been wrong before.

NEVER.

I heard it's "£25m up front with £15m further in strap-ons."

Those Midlanders and their fetishes.

I think we're signing up some good and very good players to go with some outstanding ones we've already got. All of which is adding up to a pretty impressive squad.

Take our midfield - Downing, Henderson, Gerrard, Adam, Lucas, Spearing, Miereles, Aquiliani, Cole, Maxi, Kuyt. Even if some move on, to me that's a decent set of players, most of which can play in more than one position, and all of which mean we could line up with a tough midfield, a passing midfield, an attacking midfield or any other type of midfield necessary, for a particular game or during a particular game depending on how things are going.

And that is what you need to win matches - variation. Kenny plays attacking football and passing football, that won't change. But there are numerous ways to attack and numerous ways to pass. With that group of midfielders I'd say we're sorted - even if we lose Aquilani and Maxi (and probably Cole too).

Give me a left back and a decent striker to support Suarez, Carroll and Kuyt (I know I mentioned him as a midfielder but I think he'll be a striker much more often next year), and I think we'll be right up there come the end of the season.