You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

For a player that is rated so highly his record of 3 goals and 3 assists last season is very unimpressive. Is it possible that he is overrated by people who think that technique and dribbling ability is everything? Lots of people nowadays seem to prefer style over substance.

To be fair though, you can't get an assist when your strikers are experts at pissing away chances.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For a player that is rated so highly his record of 3 goals and 3 assists last season is very unimpressive. Is it possible that he is overrated by people who think that technique and dribbling ability is everything? Lots of people nowadays seem to prefer style over substance.

Yes I totally agree, he is overrated like Joe Cole in his prime.

The way he frolics about I think myself it says more about the lack of quality defensive centre mids around in the Prem these days than anything else.

Id take Bale over him everytime. Not a bad player like just fairly overrated.

Spot on that. He's what I call a "fancy dan" player, or rather a typical Spurs player. Looks good, but doesn't really deliver consistently as evidenced by the comparison with Aquilani.

Do you really think he bossed the midfield? Personally I thought he played well for the opening 15-20 mins but went missing once we sobered up.

I see both points of view on this. Watched the game on LFCTV a couple of days later and whilst Modric was the fulcrum of a team with much more fluency and better ball retention, neither they nor we created a single clear cut chance in the whole game. They won by virtue of a slightly streaky goal off Johnson's toe and an appalling penalty decision by you-know-who.

Spot on that. He's what I call a "fancy dan" player, or rather a typical Spurs player. Looks good, but doesn't really deliver consistently as evidenced by the comparison with Aquilani.

To be fair, I've always thought he was a very good player, but when you look at the numbers it seems like he doesn't contribute much of substance. For a player who likes to get forward and is playing in an attacking team he doesn't score or create nearly enough goals. He has very good technical ability but doesn't appear to have much in the way of end product.

Guest PurpleNose

I'd rather they got Sneijder. He's a couple of years older, and not as good at travelling with the ball. Not much in it mind.

Modric is a sublime footballer. Probably worth £30m-£35m in the current market.

Direct assists often aren't indicative of a player's worth to a team.

I actually think he'd be a better signing for Barcelona than Fabregas.