You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Are we aiming high enough?

Nathanzx

Barrett's latest article about Reina staying is a strange one. It says he looks likely to stay because he is happy with the direction the club is going in and then the last paragraph of the article links us with the following:

A Young

S Downing

C Adam

G Cahill

M Jarvis

M Sakho

On top of those six the two most likely other players linked with us from reliable sources are

S Marveaux

J Enrique

Would you be happy with most of that lot? Better than H&G yes but that's like saying my mum's spinach risotto is delcious coz I am used to eating dogshite

Would it deliver a title? Absolutely not, in my view it would progress us a little and we'd be in a battle for fourth again

A few weeks back we were being linked with the likes of Sanchez and Hazard but noise on real world-class players has died down. I honestly hope FSG surprise us and pull a few rabbits from the hat. I also would much prefer 3 top class players than 5 or 6 English players who are ok/good (too many of these 7/10 players mean blocking the route of the kids)

So I am surprised by the links in Barrett's last article, I thought all the recent chatter from Comolli, Kenny and FSG was about buying a few readymade top quality players (not too many) and blending them with the top stars we currently have and the promising kids. In my view signing 6 or 7 players of the calibre of Adam, Jarvis, Marveaux, Downing, Sakho etc is not a progressive move and would be a repeat of the Benitez transfer errors. Cahill and Young I could just about stomach but they'd probably cost a fortune despite the fact they are near the end of their contracts because of the English player tax.

So 3-4 top class signings please instead of 6-8 fair to middling players. Barrett is usually reliable so am underwhelmed by names he links us with, I hope he is wrong and I hope Kenny and FSG deliver us some nice world class Summer surprises but I am not sure if that will happen and that concerns me a bit.

Is lack of Champions League football going to prevent us from attracting the really top stars we need to challenge for the title and do we have the cash for the megastars - lack of links to top class names in recent times suggests we may have to settle for the Downings of this world but again let me stress I am very much prepared for FSG to make me look like an idiot and get the likes of Sanchez and Hazard. Shall we say I am pessimistically hopeful

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All I ask for is a manager I can trust and owners who will back him, both in terms of his judgement* and in terms of finances - whether that's with an injection of funds or merely at the very least not siphoning shit off a la C&A and allowing us to spend what we generate (a lot). From the outside looking in we appear to have both, so I'm more than willing to see how things play out and judge everyone (The King included) on what they do rather than what they say (so far so very very good by the way). Media speculation on who we will sign is just that, nothing more.

*So my only slight worry is the whole Comolli/DoF thing, but given that the two big signings under his tenure were two players that Kenny obviously had under his radar (even going back to when he was working for Rafa), then like I said, so far so good.

Any of the defenders in that list il'd be pleased with as for the rest they all seem a bit underwhelming though i have no clue about the frog.

I know its wishful thinking but il'd love to see us get 2 proper top notch wingers as thats the area thats most important for us to sort out and get right in my eyes.

Look at the players who've delivered Man Utd title after title while we've been chasing the golden goose, the final piece of the puzzle. The right combination of management, youth, experience and awareness of what fits the team are the keys to unlocking long term success. It's why we had it, the Mancs had it yet everyone else stutters from here to there.

With Chelsea's spending power, there's no question that three titles and zero European Cups is a diabolical, shameful return.same will apply to Man City if they fail to land one of the two next season. Arsenal put all of their eggs in the basket marked 'Youth' and it ends up doing them as much good as a chocolate fireguard.

We've spent so many years looking at the Mancs sign players who look average, who would be average in many teams and then being surprised when they grab another title and parade the streets with their latest European Cup. It's about finding the right blend at all levels of the football club, not the perceived glamour of the latest signing.

Ask Real Madrid. All these years, all those players and it's taken anti-football and a manager with an obscene amount of confidence to put them in with a fighting chance of winning the European Cup once more. Ask yourself if OUR current manager didn't often plump for a less fashionable option when overseeing our last great team.

Edited by TheDrowningMan

Barrett's latest article about Reina staying is a strange one. It says he looks likely to stay because he is happy with the direction the club is going in and then the last paragraph of the article links us with the following:

A Young

S Downing

C Adam

G Cahill

M Jarvis

M Sakho

On top of those six the two most likely other players linked with us from reliable sources are

S Marveaux

J Enrique

Would you be happy with most of that lot? Better than H&G yes but that's like saying my mum's spinach risotto is delcious coz I am used to eating dogshite

Would it deliver a title? Absolutely not, in my view it would progress us a little and we'd be in a battle for fourth again

A few weeks back we were being linked with the likes of Sanchez and Hazard but noise on real world-class players has died down. I honestly hope FSG surprise us and pull a few rabbits from the hat. I also would much prefer 3 top class players than 5 or 6 English players who are ok/good (too many of these 7/10 players mean blocking the route of the kids)

So I am surprised by the links in Barrett's last article, I thought all the recent chatter from Comolli, Kenny and FSG was about buying a few readymade top quality players (not too many) and blending them with the top stars we currently have and the promising kids. In my view signing 6 or 7 players of the calibre of Adam, Jarvis, Marveaux, Downing, Sakho etc is not a progressive move and would be a repeat of the Benitez transfer errors. Cahill and Young I could just about stomach but they'd probably cost a fortune despite the fact they are near the end of their contracts because of the English player tax.

So 3-4 top class signings please instead of 6-8 fair to middling players. Barrett is usually reliable so am underwhelmed by names he links us with, I hope he is wrong and I hope Kenny and FSG deliver us some nice world class Summer surprises but I am not sure if that will happen and that concerns me a bit.

Is lack of Champions League football going to prevent us from attracting the really top stars we need to challenge for the title and do we have the cash for the megastars - lack of links to top class names in recent times suggests we may have to settle for the Downings of this world but again let me stress I am very much prepared for FSG to make me look like an idiot and get the likes of Sanchez and Hazard. Shall we say I am pessimistically hopeful

Hell... We sign those four, and we'll definitely be in the top four, IMO.

All of those are very, very attainable as well.

(Granted, I'm not sold on Young these days, granted, it looks like Young has been playing centrally a lot this season... and I'd almost say Downing over him if he's quite a bit cheaper, as he'd offer the width that we really need and it'd be unlikely to sign Downing AND Young)

I think in terms of those names, some are guess work as always. One thing is for certain, Kenny/Clarke/Comolli have decided that most of our targets are Premiership proven players.

Young, Adam and Enrique all make good sense given their contract situations.

Enrique is a very assured left back. Have been very impressed each time I've see him. I just hope signing him doesn't restrict the development of our very impressive youngsters as he's still relatively young at 25.

I'd be delighted getting rid of Maxi, Cole and Poulsen for Young, Downing and Adam. If I'm being honest, I'd rather not sign Downing and would rather have someone like Hazard or Sanchez.

To win the league or FA cup, those signings will be more than good enough, but I still think we need to sign a powerful young striker as N'gog is not good enough. I'm sure Carroll will be injured for parts of the season.

This is a really poor thread with some astoundingly shit posts.

I'm not too sure how likely it is that Ashley Young would join, but he's a quality player and would walk into our team and improve it hugely. We badly need a quality, pacy attacking player, and I don't understand why Young is deemed a second-class option vs foreign star X, Y or Z.

Enrique and Downing would also go straight into the first team. Downing lacks pace, but he scores goals and creates chances. Like a better version of Riera.

We also need a CB and a CM to go into the first team, but that's not anything new.

Guest San Don

How times have changed amongst our fans.

Time was Liverpool hardly every signed 'star' players. We used to take rough diamonds and make them into household names and top players other teams envied.

Now, it seems unless we're linked with world stars, we arent 'aiming high enough.'

Fuck me, I hate modern football fans sometimes.

What we need to look at is Maxi,Cole,Jovanavic,Poulsen have shown that they are not Liverpool quality players,Cahill,Adam,Enrique,Yound or Downing are all improvements on the above and some others in the squad at present imo,Its about top 4 next season and getting back in the champions league (i'd love to win the league dont get me wrong but top 4 is a must)and those improvements would deffo put us in there,then we go out and buy the Aguiro's and the likes of him because these players would attract alot of interest and teams in champions league would be in pole position, think back 6 months we were on the brink of hell now we are being linked with Cahill not Scharner and young not Dempsey and weve signed Carroll not C.Cole so things might not be at full pelt but were moving in the right direction again Rafa said he needed 6 players last season now we still need 5 or 6 but thats only because or youth players have stepped up otherwise we could be looking at 8 or 9 players needed.

Time was Liverpool hardly every signed 'star' players. We used to take rough diamonds and make them into household names and top players other teams envied.

Now, it seems unless we're linked with world stars, we arent 'aiming high enough.'

Equally, I hate this rose-tinted fucking bullshit about how we 'hardly ever' signed star players. Really?

Kenny Dalglish?

Peter Beardsley?

Steve McMahon?

Ray Kennedy?

John Barnes?

Ian Rush?

Graeme Souness?

We paid *record* transfer fees for some of the players on that list. All already established top-class footballers (apart from Rush, who was the most expensive transfer fee for a teenager)

For every Hansen, there was a big player brought in for a big fee.

I think this thread is a bit harsh, especially the part on wingers.

Are we really saying the 2 current England wingers are not as good as players from the all conquering footballing empires of Belgium & Chilie?

Has anybody ever seen these players play? I saw Chilie twice in South Africa (v Brazil & Spain) and I can hand on heart, there is not one player from what I saw I'd be cumming over us signing like some people are for Sanchez.

I think nearly every play represents a pretty big upgrade on players we already have:

* Dowing / Young are better than Cole / Maxi / Jovanovic (and Kuyt / Meireles in wide 4-4-2 posistions)

* Adam is better than Poulsen

* Cahill is better than Soto / Agger / Wilson

* Enrique is better than Aurellio / Konchesky

I'm not convinced by Jarvis but it would be hard for him not to contribute more than Cole & Jovanovic do.

I've never seen Sakho play but he's highly rated and a French international, again, it would be hard for him not to be better than Soto / Wilson.

The only thing I'd say about that list is I'd like to add another striker. Whether we sign somebody young like Wickham or take somebody in the twilight of their career as a bit part player, I still think it's an area we need to strengthen.

I know some are now going to say Cahill isn't better than Agger and Enrique isn't better than Aurellio so I'll make this clear - by the fact that Cahill and Enrique will be fit for more the a third of the season and can be relied upon to finish most games they start, makes them instantly better than Agger & Aurellio.

For every Hansen, there was a big player brought in for a big fee.

Not sure about that.

We won the European Cup with 9 players who were unheard of before they made their debut for us (maybe 8 if you don't count Emlyn)

Souness had no caps at all for Scotland in 76 or 77. McMahon was hardly 'star' quality. Rush was completely unknown whatever the cost, not a sure thing by any means.

With others, massive improvements in cheap players meant they were sold for huge profits, enabling us to buy Dalglish Beardsley and Barnes. Just as we've done now with......with.....oh wotsiname from Chelsea.

By the 80's we could certainly afford to take the 'cream' of other sides. We're not in that position now nor anything like it, so if Kenny/Comolli can find the right pieces for our incomplete jigsaw at decent prices that will be a major bonus.

Surprised by the thread? Not in the slightest.

Yeah, but Souness and McMahon were hardly 'rough diamonds' they were both the best players their clubs had when we bought them (Boro and Villa, I think).

Pretty sure Macca captained Villa, and maybe even Everton prior to that.

We certainly had our pick of the best players quite regularly, and could afford to pay top fees and top wages thanks to the Moores family.

Of course we also built the reputations and careers of lots of younger lesser-known players like Whelan, Jocky,

Nicol, Clemmo et al, but let's not pretend 'The Liverpool Way' didn't involve nicking the best players from less succesful clubs.

In many ways the Carroll transfer is Beardsley all over again. Their best player, recent international, record transfer fee paid. Of course, Andy isn't as good as Beardo, but if he's as successful and is part of a team anywhere near as good, it'll be money well spent.

Now we need a Barnes and a McMahon

Yeah, but Souness and McMahon were hardly 'rough diamonds' they were both the best players their clubs had when we bought them (Boro and Villa, I think).

We certainly had our pick of the best players quite regularly, and could afford to pay top fees and top wages thanks to the Moores family.

Of course we also built the reputations and careers of lots of younger lesser-known players like Whelan, Jocky,

Nicol, Clemmo et al, but let's not pretend 'The Liverpool Way' didn't involve nicking the best players from less succesful clubs.

In many ways the Carroll transfer is Beardsley all over again. Their best player, recent international, record transfer fee paid. Of course, Andy isn't as good as Beardo, but if he's as successful and is part of a team anywhere near as good, it'll be money well spent.

A bit Like Adam and Young then?

Spot on, thank you.

'The Liverpool Way', as it is known.

End of thread.

t

The problem is people see the likes of Young and Downing every week and see their mistakes but only see highlights of the foreign players(anyone can look good in a youtube clip)as the saying goes familiarity breeds contempt Young,Cahill and Enrique would be excellent additions to our squad

Well, we've got Lucas so we can tick one off......

At that time I really had no time for Macca, one of our best Anfield days was when Souness got him sent off and the best derby was when we beat them 5-0 and Johnston got away with punching him in the mouth!

By mid 80's I agree we could cherry pick, but even so taking Oxford's best 2 players hardly puts them in the 'star' bracket.

We've shown in recent weeks that fully motivated and in-form we have a good first-choice team. It's the squad that is severely lacking. Replace the ones who are shit and/or never fit, start giving the kids a few games when we can and vastly improve against the bottom ten sides, we can do well next season.

The OP has always started threads denouncing the new owners for this or that. I agree with SoS that vigilance and a 'once bitten twice' attitude should remain in force, but when some don't post about anything else at all one remain sceptical about that too.