You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Andy Carroll, what does he do?

Code

Its not going to work though, is it? I mean we might finish 7th rather than 9th, but we'll still be 25-35 points off top. Probably 10-15 off 4th.

442 needs fucking off, along with all the players not capable of playing anything else.

No, I don't think it will, but then changing course is going to require changing a lot more than just Carroll and I don't think FSG realize that. And even if they did they are 100m+ into this and I don't think they have the financial muscle for anything other than incremental steps. So we get Bent, finish 6th and are further institutionalized out of the top 4.

Newcastle used lots of training ground routines where his movement was mapped out for him and Barton, Nolan et al were responsible for putting the ball where he was.

We're playing off the cuff and it's making his head explode because he hasn't the wit to integrate into that kind of scheme. He has to work out where the ball is going (#/DIV0).

This is exactly right.

If Kenny is not prepared to play to his strengths, why buy him?

I will guess 40 over three seasons.

You say over three seasons. Do you really believe that making four substitute appearances as a teenager, (as Carroll did in one of the seasons you are talking about) counts as a season that can be reasonably used in any kind of quantitative analysis? Do you really consider 40 games to be the same as 'over 3 years' as you claimed? If you do, then I may as well start slagging off rooney for not scoring a goal for three months every summer.

Regardless of whether he becomes good enough or not the fee was just madness. 35m has to buy you guaranteed quality, especially when you factor in we are not Man City that can take him becoming a poor signing and that we were replacing a 20+ goal player in Torres.

In my mind anything over 30m has to be proven quality (and we will play to their strengths and build a team around) so the only risk is him settling in. Anything over 20m again has to be an excellent player with the right temperament so settling in is the only worry.Anything over 15m has to either raw talent (has a position that we use him in and we need him for and is bedded in slowly in that position) or a player that is excellent but may be over 26 but can go straight into the team and do a job.

I don't think any of our big signings fit into this and this is really just basic common sense. Many people voiced their concerns about these players so in my mind Kenny has to go because of this and our league form. There just can't be any excuses for this shit. Love only goes so far, when it's not right. it's not right. I love the man but he is no longer the man to be manager and all his signings can go with him bar Enrique and Belllamy. Henderson if played in CM sporadically can stay also.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
And its not the only mental problem we have. We lack intelligence, but also confidence, concentration, and a distinct lack of anyone willing to take some responsibility. I don't mean a heroic, brave lionheart like Scotty Parker shouting battle commands at players, but just someone to keep everyone focused.

Alonso used to do it, quietly. Lucas even began to earlier in the season. The central midfield seems to have been brushed over as a problem. We need wingers and strikers, and don't get me wrong, we certainly fucking do, most of ours are shite. But we also need central midfielders who can read the game, and who can pass the ball with purpose.

The lowering of expectations for strikers and wide midfielders is bullshit, as it is for our central midfield.

The gulf in quality between Suarez and the rest of the front six is frightening.

Its not going to work though, is it? I mean we might finish 7th rather than 9th, but we'll still be 25-35 points off top. Probably 10-15 off 4th.

442 needs fucking off, along with all the players not capable of playing anything else.

Correct. I fear if we don't buy very well this summer, we're a bit fucked.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
I read an interesting stat that in the games he actually starts he has a decent goal scoring record.

I read a stat that in all the games he scores he always scores. That's a goal a game. Pretty damning evidence for his critics to consider.

Hes very one dimensional and thats not good enough for a team with CL ambitions.

Whether he stays or not will depend on two things,kenny staying and the owners willingness to spend any more money on another striker.

If we start next season with the same strikeforce then its gonna be more of the same and goodbye Kenny.

Hes very one dimensional

What exactly do you see that one dimension as being? Not scoring goals, clearly. If it was. we wouldn't have a problem.

The dimension is the typical british big man style.

He is pretty good at holding up the ball or flicking it on and hes improving a bit at getting headers and shots in from crosses but it seems that he cant do both together!

• 2 months later...