You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Age being a hinderance in sport

Carradona

I was watching th snooker last night and the commentator said something like, "Nobody except for John Higgins and maybe Stephen Hendry before he got older can compete with him (Ronnie O' Sullivan) in that form".

It got me thinking of why snooker players get shitter when they get older. Surely they don't just lose their talent?

I can understand why footballers and rugby players can use age as an excuse.

Also, what other sports can you think of where age shouldn't be an obstacle?

Darts, for sure. Phil Taylor could go on and win plenty more World Championships.

I don't think they do get shitter, so much as the new generation coming through gets better.

People like Steve Davis and John Parrott probably play a similar level as they did in the 80s, but haven't improved too much. Also in balance to what you gain in matchplay experience some lose hunger by being minted and comfortable, unless you're a very driven player, I'd say.

There's also more competition now. When the WPBSA was formed there was a very limited number of players and they could go on until they were ancient - Fred Davies, Jack Karnehm,John Pulman and the like. It was a closed shop.

About 15 years ago, being a pro was opened up to anyone that paid to play on the UK tour and the number of pros went from about 130 to 1,000 overnight, so competition's greater too.

Eyesight would be pretty important in snooker. Plus just the shear length of time you have to keep concentrated.

Bang on the money that. As you get older you're eyesight gets worse so you find it harder to see pots etc. A snooker players eyesight going is the equviulant to when Footballers legs go.

Bang on the money that. As you get older you're eyesight gets worse so you find it harder to see pots etc. A snooker players eyesight going is the equviulant to when Footballers legs go.

It's not really as bad as that RobbieOR, because eyesight can be corrected with contact lenses etc.

I don't think they do get shitter, so much as the new generation coming through gets better.

People like Steve Davis and John Parrott probably play a similar level as they did in the 80s, but haven't improved too much. Also in balance to what you gain in matchplay experience some lose hunger by being minted and comfortable, unless you're a very driven player, I'd say.

There's also more competition now. When the WPBSA was formed there was a very limited number of players and they could go on until they were ancient - Fred Davies, Jack Karnehm,John Pulman and the like. It was a closed shop.

About 15 years ago, being a pro was opened up to anyone that paid to play on the UK tour and the number of pros went from about 130 to 1,000 overnight, so competition's greater too.

Although I agree that the standard of snooker has improved greatly, there's no way that Davis has played to anywhere like his 80s level in the last 10-15 years (even including that one, out of the blue ranking event that he won) - his breakbuilding isn't as strong, his safety game is a world away from its peak, and his concentration is really poor.

For snooker it's concetration and drive as much as anything. Eyesight is a factor but not as great as the other too. Also younger players will go for the unexpected alot more. We will see how it pans out in motorsports in march when shumi comes back to F1. I think he will still be quick but not at quiet the pace he was. We will see.

What Waffle said.

It's horrible for me to watch Stephen Hendry the past few years. He's my favourite player, and I grew up watching him win everything year after year, but he looks a shadow of his former self (which, given how brilliant he was, is still good enough to beat the best on his day).

Shit, really? You have my sincerest condolences.

I feel sorry for you, Alex. I really do.

Smells like a grudge match is brewing.

So how old ARE you chap, were you better at pool in your younger years?

I've always been better at pool than you, young Peter.

Shame you can't say the same about me, Alex. Without having to lie.

I think we need to organise a mini competition to put these rumours to bed that Woo and Cain are good.

Or a grudge... er... tournament?

Behave Cain, I'm much better than you, and you know it.

There's no shame at all in being second best behind me. It's like being the second best striker behind Torres. It's just inevitable.

Being shitter than Pete, now THAT would be embarassing.

Behave Cain, I'm much better than you, and you know it.

There's no shame at all in being second best behind me. It's like being the second best striker behind Torres. It's just inevitable.

Being shitter than Pete, now THAT would be embarassing.

F******* on the GF? For shame... You know better than that, Woo.