You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

RAM installation.

Kwyjibo

Right...I have taken the giant step of trying to install some extra RAM into my PC. I got my type of RAM from Crucial.com, as well as how much my Motherboard will accept etc, and went and purchased it today, along with an anti-static band.

Things went well...or so I thought. My PC fails to recognise the new RAM and has stopped working while the new RAM is inserted. Thankfully, it still works ok when I take the new one out.

Any ideas what I can do to make my PC recognise and accept the RAM?

Tried mixing and on its own. Get same problem, unless I take the new one out.

Not sure if this is anything - you may have guessed I know nothing about computers... - but when I went into the BIOS (F2 key?) it seems to have it 'recorded' in there (I have 1 gig normally, trying to upgrade to 2) but just doesn't work?

Sorry for lateness of reply...

I have taken a note of what it says on the RAM currently in my PC and the one I bought to add.

PC:

1GB UNB PC2-4300 CL4

S/N: 230644112113

P/N: 78.01G66.9KB

New:

1GB PC2-5300

DDR2-667 CL=5-5-5-15

GX21GB5300LX

VOLTAGE: 1.8V

Right, even a man of my limited PC skills can see these are not a match - even though I only bought the new PC2-5300 after crucial.com told me that this is what was already installed on my PC.

I have done a quick Google search to see if you can mix these and saw this answer when someone had posed the question:

"1. If your motherboard is ONLY capable of using PC2-4300, it will just downclock any PC2-5300 that you put in there.

2. If you mix the two, BIOS will just synchronize their speed to that of the lowest which is the PC2-4300; even if board is compatible w/ PC2-5300."

I don't understand what it means, but, having tried the new stick again, my PC/motherboard clearly is not liking the 5300. Should simply purchasing and installing a stick of PC2-4300 be enough?

Cheers gents.

Sorry for lateness of reply...

I have taken a note of what it says on the RAM currently in my PC and the one I bought to add.

PC:

1GB UNB PC2-4300 CL4

S/N: 230644112113

P/N: 78.01G66.9KB

New:

1GB PC2-5300

DDR2-667 CL=5-5-5-15

GX21GB5300LX

VOLTAGE: 1.8V

Right, even a man of my limited PC skills can see these are not a match - even though I only bought the new PC2-5300 after crucial.com told me that this is what was already installed on my PC.

I have done a quick Google search to see if you can mix these and saw this answer when someone had posed the question:

"1. If your motherboard is ONLY capable of using PC2-4300, it will just downclock any PC2-5300 that you put in there.

2. If you mix the two, BIOS will just synchronize their speed to that of the lowest which is the PC2-4300; even if board is compatible w/ PC2-5300."

I don't understand what it means, but, having tried the new stick again, my PC/motherboard clearly is not liking the 5300. Should simply purchasing and installing a stick of PC2-4300 be enough?

Cheers gents.

Yes.