You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Couch to 5k running program

Jennings

Couch to 5k is a running program designed to make couch potatoes able to run 5K. It takes 9 weeks to complete the course.

I definitely qualify as a couch potato - perhaps I am even over-qualified. But I am having a go at this plan. I started week1 Day1 on 12/08/09.

Has anyone else had a go at it?

I am generally a starter of projects such as this, but not a completer. Something always comes up that makes me stop or lose interest. I am about to go out today to complete week 3.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to run loads when i lived by Sefton Park, but recently a combination of ankle and back problems mixed with a lazy diet has seen me try and kickstart it again but give up with the running a few times over the last year. So, nice one Jennings, I think i will give this a go as it is a formulated plan. Something my running has lacked in recent years.

Well in Jennings for getting out there an giving it a go

http://www.nike.com/europerunning/flash/train/pdfs/beginners-5k.pdf

An alternative that is a bit easier to follow. They have similar ones for 10k beginner, 5 and 10k advance an half marathon.

I found these programmes easier to follow as the cool runnings one's after the coach potato one put emphasis on training 6 times a week. That gave me crippling shin splints that I'm still recovering from.

When I was originally running I was following the Nike one's an got better results.

Did you change your diet at all?

What he said.

I'm gonna give the nike one a go I reckon*. There's some playing fields near my new pad so it'll be easier impact than road running.

*Providing I can still consume quality food and enjoy a couple of beers/ glasses of wine on a night.

'Couch to 5K' sounds like a government initiative to get the long term unemployed back into low-paid employment.

If thats in the Queen's speech, I'd sue for copyright.

Also, when the other lot get in next year, and unemployment gets worse, Cameron will bring his version of this initiative in, but it will be called Gutter to Job Centre.

I used to be super fit. Special forces marathon fit.

10 years of doing no physical work left me a wreck.

I started walking a year or so ago and now I am running 5k (a hilly 5k) 3 times a week. My legs are like iron.

I am lucky enough to live near a 2 mile beach an I run from one end to the other and back again it's ace.

However the road running fucks up my knees and I can't bend for a day or so after a run. Running on sand causes no probs.

Oh and get good shoes. What a difference a pair of Asics made to me.

I used to be super fit. Special forces marathon fit.

10 years of doing no physical work left me a wreck.

I started walking a year or so ago and now I am running 5k (a hilly 5k) 3 times a week. My legs are like iron.

I am lucky enough to live near a 2 mile beach an I run from one end to the other and back again it's ace.

However the road running fucks up my knees and I can't bend for a day or so after a run. Running on sand causes no probs.

Oh and get good shoes. What a difference a pair of Asics made to me.

What do I need to look for in a pair of running shoes? I was thinking of wearing f**tie boots for jogging on the playing fields near me. Is that a bad idea?

What do I need to look for in a pair of running shoes? I was thinking of wearing f**tie boots for jogging on the playing fields near me. Is that a bad idea?

I think the term is pronation (sp) if you are an over pronator the outside of your shoes wear down first. If you don't have the right shoes you will be putting unnecessary stress of your ankles and knees.

Having said that I started walking in a pair of boots and then ran in a £12 pair of Adidas. I went to a proper running shop and spent £100 on a pair of Asics and ran my target distance in one go. It may have been a bit of placebo but my knees are now not so sore.

I know people say set yourself goals but if you can run up and down a field in boots go for it. Just aim o do 3 times as mant in 6 months. You will amaze yourself.

I'm a running ninja. It does help that i way about 2 stone mind. You have to have a decent pair of trainers though and it is worth having your running style analysed at a proper shop. i have a pair of Brooks at the moment, but will be changing them ahead of the autumn as they are starting to be a bit knackered.

Redder Lurtz (and anyone else thinking of trying it), have a look at Ullrey's podcasts, they really help. They tell you when to run and when to walk etc. I also use the Nike+ system (I always fall for these gimmicks - I am the marketing man's dream) - it produces graphs and summmarys from each run.

I have put most of this in my running blog. If you need any help give me a shout...and let me know how you are getting on.

Redder Lurtz (and anyone else thinking of trying it), have a look at Ullrey's podcasts, they really help. They tell you when to run and when to walk etc. I also use the Nike+ system (I always fall for these gimmicks - I am the marketing man's dream) - it produces graphs and summmarys from each run.

I have put most of this in my running blog. If you need any help give me a shout...and let me know how you are getting on.

Thanks for that mate. I'd never seen that ipod gadget before. I've just ordered one.

I've been running on the roads for a few months now and my knees are fine, but everything else is fucked.

I seem to just pick up injuries all the time.

It's a shame because I absolutely love running.

Not the actual running, but the walking up the road afterwards, covered in sweat after running 10k first thing in the morning, thinking "fuck yeak."

Hang on, does that mean I need to get with the times and get myself an iPod?

Im gonna give this a go when I move to Liverpool next week. Ive never wanted to round here cos I live on a dodgy estate and am quite self concious about people looking at me but being in a new area should help me I reckon. Only problem is the house Im movin to is on the middle of a hill, I mean, halfway up it. So do I run downhill to the bottom of the road, then round the block and uphill the next road then finish downhill, or start uphill, go downhill and finish uphill?

Im gonna give this a go when I move to Liverpool next week. Ive never wanted to round here cos I live on a dodgy estate and am quite self concious about people looking at me but being in a new area should help me I reckon. Only problem is the house Im movin to is on the middle of a hill, I mean, halfway up it. So do I run downhill to the bottom of the road, then round the block and uphill the next road then finish downhill, or start uphill, go downhill and finish uphill?

I am the same we live on the top of one side of a river valley so I have to run down one and up the other side then up again at the end. It fucks up the distance you can run. I recon it is abou a 5 k circuit.

However what stamina it gives you. When my knees are sore and I drive to the beach I seem to be able to run much much further but I have no way of measuring this. The Nike + should help.