You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Conflict in Afghanistan

Section_31

1 hour ago, Rico1304 said:

Mustn’t. Criticise. Islamic. Fundamentalists.  

Imagine seeing the Taliban machine gunning schoolgirls for daring to get an education and still pushing the line that we're the bad guys.

I actually saw a keyboard warrior the other day accusing Malala Yousafzai of performative activism, apparently without irony.

• Downvote 1

21 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Imagine seeing the Taliban machine gunning schoolgirls for daring to get an education and still pushing the line that we're the bad guys.

Wow, "machine gunning schoolgirls" shocking if true, any links for that?

Also at the worry of upsetting the forum police, if that makes them the "bad guys" and I totally agree if true, using your own logic doesn't that make the child killers in the below link "the bad guys"?

https://news.un.org/en/story/2020/12/1080402

Or do the killers in the above link receive a free pass?

21 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I actually saw a keyboard warrior the other day accusing Malala Yousafzai of performative activism, apparently without irony.

Yeah irony, that's the word.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Not actually anything to do with Afghanistan but this was recently uploaded to YT, about the Iraq War, first broadcast around the time the shit started really hitting the fan with bombings on UN personnel and (I think) before they captured Saddam. 

Couldn’t sleep last night so ended up watching it until about 4am. Really interesting. 

A lot of these PBS Frontline docs are really good. There’s one called Bush’s War which goes into loads of detail about the lies they told to justify the intervention in Iraq. 

Just now, Strontium Dog™ said:

I didn't even need to click on the link to know what it would be about.

Obsessed.

No you rightly pointed out people who murder children are "bad guys" I agree with you and I obviously include the Taliban in that description. The only difference between our standpoints is whilst the vast majority of the world's population find the killing of children by any country/terrorist group/organisation abhorrent some people give some country/group/organisation a free pass. 

Anyway any chance of that link?

3 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Not actually anything to do with Afghanistan but this was recently uploaded to YT, about the Iraq War, first broadcast around the time the shit started really hitting the fan with bombings on UN personnel and (I think) before they captured Saddam. 

Couldn’t sleep last night so ended up watching it until about 4am. Really interesting. 

A lot of these PBS Frontline docs are really good. There’s one called Bush’s War which goes into loads of detail about the lies they told to justify the intervention in Iraq. 

I'll have a look at that after, have you seen the BBC doc from last year on the Iraq war? Gruesome.

2 hours ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Some time off so watched this one from a few years back. Paul Conway, the photographer is from Liverpool and a massive red. Marie Colvin was a superb journalist and the film is basically Conway giving testimony to his friend.

It's on BBC I player Storyville 

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/sep/09/under-the-wire-documentary-review-marie-colvin

2 hours ago, Gnasher said:

Wow, "machine gunning schoolgirls" shocking if true, any links for that?

Also at the worry of upsetting the forum police, if that makes them the "bad guys" and I totally agree if true, using your own logic doesn't that make the child killers in the below link "the bad guys"?

https://news.un.org/en/story/2020/12/1080402

Or do the killers in the above link receive a free pass?

Yeah irony, that's the word.

I'd suggest that thanks to the actions of us and the Americans over 100,000 people in 1 country alone,have lost their lives,its a bit pointless seeing things in such simplistic terms as good guys and bad guys.

I dont find it interesting however that our original reason for invading the country, basically revenge for 9/11,is somehow getting removed from history and we apparently went in ,to improve the rights of women.

Hang on has someone whose just said school girls getting machine gunned down (without a shred of evidence to back it up) mentioned irony ……. I mean fucking wow the hypocrites lying hypocrite isn’t arsed when Palestinian kids get hosed down buy gunboats when playing on a beach …. Pure evil. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Hang on has someone whose just said school girls getting machine gunned down (without a shred of evidence to back it up) mentioned irony ……. I mean fucking wow the hypocrites lying hypocrite isn’t arsed when Palestinian kids get hosed down buy gunboats when playing on a beach …. Pure evil. 

Some chutzpah to accuse me of not supplying evidence of schoolgirls getting shot when I literally mentioned Malala Yousafzai in my post.

Have to say this reinvention as the forum's only Gnasher stan account is even more tedious than the usual offerings.

Just now, Strontium Dog™ said:

Some chutzpah to accuse me of not supplying evidence of schoolgirls getting shot when I literally mentioned Malala Yousafzai in my post.

Have to say this reinvention as the forum's only Gnasher stan account is even more tedious than the usual offerings.

Where is the evidence? Not saying it didn’t happen but come on quoting someone’s name isn’t evidence. You’ve just asked for evidence on a tweet from a Labour mp on another thread …..

What is it about your hypocrisy being commented on don’t you like? 

1 minute ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Am I really being asked for evidence that the Taliban kill schoolgirls. Is this really happening. 

As you described it yes. You’re also being asked to show the same level of disdain to Palestinian children being killed. Oh…..