You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Change one result in Liverpool's history....

Upton74

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was disappointed after Athens, but strangely not gutted. We already tasted glory in Istanbul when to be fair we were outplayed. We had the better of Milan in 2007, but didn't manage that last step. It was symptomatic of our season at the time.

In 1989 I was 10 and had only really followed Liverpool for around 2 years. I didn't see the season as a crushing disappointment because of this (maybe if I was there I would have felt differently).

At the Club World Cup, I was very disappointed because I knew that we would only then need to win the league to complete the set this decade. I felt we were unfortunate to have goals disallowed, but that we had blown it (Crouch should have started as Sao Paulo would have found him more of a handful than Morientes).

The one result I would change is the 1996 FA Cup final. We displayed none of the fluent football on show during that season. Instead we froze. The only flair on display were the white suits. That game was the first time I was truly gutted, as it gave the other lot a double.

Had we got a result, it might have spurred on a greater title challenge in 1997 and who knows what then. I'm starting to sound like a bitter, "ifithadnthavebeenfercantona...":wallbutt:

Guest The Chimp
lose the FA Cup QF 1989

That's be the obvious one for me as well mate (as well as the 85 European SF), and also the to be fair everyone else on here I'd wager as well.

Edit. Apologies only just saw Kopite, Victor Ganges and Thants' replies.

1965 European Cup Semi-Final 2nd leg, anyone?

That's the one I was also thinking when I saw the thread. Not only would Shankly have had the chance to win it like he most definitely deserved, we would also have been the first British side to win it. And we would have had at least six of them by now.

About the FA Cup final in 96 I was mostly furious about Redknapp not sacrificing himself by using his hands to stop it. And that clumsy idiot James of course. What the hell was he doing out there?

two games..22.11.08 fulham [h] and 10.01.09 stoke [h].then sami gets a prem medal[do you still need to play 13 games to qualify for one?].or the 0.2 v arsenal in 88/89. `97 cwc final ? missed that one...it would have being nice to get the full set of euro trophies.with a`66 cwc win. the mancs ain`t won the uefa cup you know.:whistle:

January 1999. Liverpool beat Man Utd at Old Trafford to progress to the 5th round of the FA Cup and shatter their rivals' hopes of clinching an unprecendented treble.

For other reasons - having us knocked out of the FA Cup at home by Brentford.

We used all our luck in Istanbul against Milan who apart from those glorious six minutes were the superior side on the night and our luck just ran out in Athens with Inzaghi's spawny first goal. Would people have swapped Istanbul for Athens? I really don't think I would have done.

All the results listed are obvious ones but I will go for a less obvious one and say the 4-4 v Everton in 91. If we had twatted Everton 5-0 that game Kenny MAY have soldiered on who knows.

Good call that John and not one that would have sprung to mind but the point you make I can see the significance.

The seventy seven cup final, almost got it as it was my first final and it hurt like fuck and as mentioned for Sir Bob. However what happened a few days later made the defeat a lot easier to take.

For me it is Athens. The most recent always hurts the most.

Haven't read the thread but it has to be Milan European Cup semi8-final second leg 1965; or 4-1 in the first leg when we had a goal disallowed. Would have pissed the final and won big ears before the mancs. Who knows where we might have gone from there. In a more modern era any of the silly draws at home this year, or Boro away.

A few good ones..

Athens 07. Absolutely gutted, kuyt scoring late just made it worse thinking another comeback was on the cards.

One this season which would have turned it all around for us, Villa vs Utd.

89 league game against arsenal, to any number of results, 1-0 loss, a draw or a win would have been fine.

89 fa cup quarter final, take a loss.

But it would have to be the 85 european cup semi. If heysel didnt happen, imo, hillsborough wouldnt have happened, our club wouldnt have been tarnished by these two tragedies, Kenny would have stayed?

Just read the Billy Bullshit thread, the result to change is Bolton 0 Everton 1 when Bolton goal was disallowed cos the ref said it hadn't crossed the line. Bolton went down by a point from the blueshite. If they'd have gone down that year they'd be playing local derbies with Wrexham now. Hope Chelsea win by five today.

In my lifetime it would have to be the following games, in no particular order because I can't really measure the pain I felt on any scale

1: Chelsea Carling Cup Final 2005: All I know is I never spoke to anyone on the way home from that game, I was calling Gerrard every name under the sun, I was in school the next day and it was just horrendously shite.

2: Chelsea Semi Final 2008 1st Leg: I was in the Kop that day, I was screaming when we had a corner to keep it there, just keep it there. I had my head in my hands for the final 5 minutes, and when that ginger pubed tit headed it in, I've never felt so distraught on the Kop in my whole life. I was sitting in my seat, after the game for what seemed like a lifetime until my mate picked me up and took me to the pub. I didn't think we'd go through after that, infact I was damn certain we wouldn't. I'll never forgive Jon Arne Riise for that.

3: Champions League Final 2007: Just numb, I really thought we'd beat them, and we didn't, just numb for days after that.

Nottingham Forest 1978 Euro Cup 1st Round. I think if we’d beaten Forest in 78 we’d have gone on to win 3 in a row...and probably 4 or 5.

For me personally that would've been the one.

The 77 Cup Final hurt and I'd've loved us to get the treble but, strangely, I think that defeat was the catalyst to the victory in Rome.

Since Hillsborough I've taken defeat a lot more in my stride. It put football in perspective for me.

If we're talking about changing history, my teenage years would've been happier had Andy King failed his medical.

In my lifetime it would have to be the following games, in no particular order because I can't really measure the pain I felt on any scale

1: Chelsea Carling Cup Final 2005: All I know is I never spoke to anyone on the way home from that game, I was calling Gerrard every name under the sun, I was in school the next day and it was just horrendously shite.

2: Chelsea Semi Final 2008 1st Leg: I was in the Kop that day, I was screaming when we had a corner to keep it there, just keep it there. I had my head in my hands for the final 5 minutes, and when that ginger pubed tit headed it in, I've never felt so distraught on the Kop in my whole life. I was sitting in my seat, after the game for what seemed like a lifetime until my mate picked me up and took me to the pub. I didn't think we'd go through after that, infact I was damn certain we wouldn't. I'll never forgive Jon Arne Riise for that.

3: Champions League Final 2007: Just numb, I really thought we'd beat them, and we didn't, just numb for days after that.

They're the only ones in your life time? Are you only 4? :whistle: