You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't players refuse to be sold, because I can imagine some badly shite players to be on good money there.

I hope their ex-chairman doesn't escape the criticism, his previous dealings have helped create this mess.

Can't refuse to be sold as such, but they don't have to agree a contract for less money elsewhere.

Yup. Newcastle could end in administration from that drop.

Remember they get 2 years of safety net payments from the EPL, I thought I read that first year it was 30m and then 10-11m. That will help tide them over so it's not inevitable.

Remember they get 2 years of safety net payments from the EPL, I thought I read that first year it was 30m and then 10-11m. That will help tide them over so it's not inevitable.

True. I just get the feeling that the 'loyalist' support in the Premier League will be not so loyal next season...

I think its more down to Ashley's personal finances. I just remember reading that he's just able to handle the wages at Newcastle... just.

Think about when he can't unveil some new signing and sell loads of XXXXL replica tops, fill the grounds(speculation, obviously), and not have the PL money coming in.

Can't refuse to be sold as such, but they don't have to agree a contract for less money elsewhere.

I see, but the power is with the player.

The club is already making a loss as it is, so there is every danger they could do a Leeds - the owner isn't as rich as he first thought he was. I doubt the club has got the structure in place to deal with such a decline either - plus nobody can predict future revenues at this moment in time and their will be a host of sponsors who will want to renegoiate with the club (as Lance touched on previously). I think it is 13 different mangerial reigns and caretakers they have had in 4 years, plus a change in ownership. That place sounds like a madhouse.

I think the Freddie Shepperd should be held to account more as well, he put part of this idiotic structure in place.

Don't clubs usually have a wage cut worked into players contracts? Or is that just an FM thing?

There are rumours that Newcastle haven't planned for this, what with being a 'huge club' etc. I think FM is far beyond the scope of the Newcastle board and some of their managers.

There are rumours that Newcastle haven't planned for this, what with being a 'huge club' etc. I think FM is far beyond the scope of the Newcastle board and some of their managers.

They (Motd commentator) said they hadn't any relegation clauses in their (Newcastle's) contracts. Madness if true.

I see, but the power is with the player.

The club is already making a loss as it is, so there is every danger they could do a Leeds - the owner isn't as rich as he first thought he was. I doubt the club has got the structure in place to deal with such a decline either - plus nobody can predict future revenues at this moment in time and their will be a host of sponsors who will want to renegoiate with the club (as Lance touched on previously). I think it is 13 different mangerial reigns and caretakers they have had in 4 years, plus a change in ownership. That place sounds like a madhouse.

I think the Freddie Shepperd should be held to account more as well, he put part of this idiotic structure in place.

I'm assuming though, maybe incorrectly, that Newcastle haven't done all the dodgy financing deals that Leeds did. I don't think anyone would be that stupid again. If like most clubs 60% of costs are wages then it's a pretty simple exercise to get that under control you can be sure that almost all of their big earners will be off. Owen, Barton, etc.

But your point is well taken just because an idiot could work it out, doesn't mean they can!

The payments were only around £11M last season, so I doubt they would be anywhere near £30M this season.

Another problem they'll have is having to reduce ticket prices to reflect their status, but also to try attract the ' the bestest wonderfullest fans in the World' for the midweek games against newly promoted Scunthorpe, Peterborough and fellow relegation losers, Boro. The glamour ties, don't ya know!

What kind of players will they be signing now, and how many thousands of fans will turn up to see them as they arrive to sign? I bet Jim White will be nowhere to be seen.

I do feel sorry for their fans, it's not their fault they have muppets at the head of their club, it's easy to laugh at them but I was really hoping they stayed up, the media was all for kicking them while they were down, I must have read at least 3 articles yesterday in your press ripping the piss out of the fans and somehow linking them to the clubs relegation. That prick Shepherd fucked them over badly and Ashley was not much better either.

Anyone else remember this quote by him, he was going on about how the bigger clubs shouldn't have to worry about the clubs in the lower division.

“When we have got 52,000 fans at each home game, the last thing we are worried about is clubs in the third division, there is no sympathy here."

He might be regretting that now eh?

I think they'll be in reasonable financial shape once they've offloaded some of the fat cats (wage wise). They look like they'll be trying to keep Shearer as manager. I like Shearer, but it was a big mistake to appoint him for the last eight games, and it'll be a big mistake to appoint him as a full time manager in what will be a very tough league. He will have to get a lot of new players in, and he won't have much of a budget. Then he'll have to try and get them to gel. With his managerial inexperience I don't think he's capable of doing it. And you can add in all the other teams looking to take a scalp. Tough times ahead for Newcastle.

The payments were only around £11M last season' date=' so I doubt they would be anywhere near £30M this season.[/b']

Another problem they'll have is having to reduce ticket prices to reflect their status, but also to try attract the ' the bestest wonderfullest fans in the World' for the midweek games against newly promoted Scunthorpe, Peterborough and fellow relegation losers, Boro. The glamour ties, don't ya know!

What kind of players will they be signing now, and how many thousands of fans will turn up to see them as they arrive to sign? I bet Jim White will be nowhere to be seen.

You could very well be right, but when I heard the 11m number it was what would be distributed to the rest of the championship because Birmingham wouldn't need their 2nd year payment as they were going straight back up.

The payments were only around £11M last season' date=' so I doubt they would be anywhere near £30M this season.

[b']Another problem they'll have is having to reduce ticket prices to reflect their status,[/b] but also to try attract the ' the bestest wonderfullest fans in the World' for the midweek games against newly promoted Scunthorpe, Peterborough and fellow relegation losers, Boro. The glamour ties, don't ya know!

Almost completely off-topic but whoever the guy who is in charge of Wigan today said that mid-table PL teams finances are so dominated by TV money these days that more than likely next season Wigan will let fans in for free for some games.

Almost completely off-topic but whoever the guy who is in charge of Wigan today said that mid-table PL teams finances are so dominated by TV money these days that more than likely next season Wigan will let fans in for free for some games.

Dave Whelan and the guy is abit of a prat