You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Bascombe latest effort

PaulMcC

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lucas is presently better than Spearing.

He is a year older & has won far more external,independant recognition, from a country which is generally much better than us at football.

Rafa sees him every day & thinks that- Now he might be wrong but it is utterly ludicrous to think he wouldn't pick him out of spite: Rafa is an ambitious & egotistical man- if Spearing played & helped Lfc win, Rafa himself would receive a great deal of praise, professional plaudits & ultimately money.

The jump in football goes from our reserves to lower league to premiership to uefa cup teams to CL teams & each step is huge (Look how Keane/James/Saunders etc cant make the final step) & Lucas is far further along than Spearing.

Anyone who says that Spearing is better now is deluding themselves & if they are saying that Rafa is deliberately holding him back then they do not understand selfish human nature.

(I have happily had people who worked for me who I dont like: if they do well, i benefit financially which is all i care about at work)

No-one knows who will ultimately be better as they cant predict the future.

Also, it may be that selling Lucas & using the 4th CM spot on Spearing is a sensible use of our scarce resources.

Problem is that when you acknowledge that our resources are so streched that we cant afford £6m for a 4th CM when the Mancs spend £17m, it just shows what an amazing job Rafa has done in the market to get us where we are now.

Spearing desreves more of a chance than Plessis ever got.

And he can hardly be any worse than Lucas.

Agreed but I don't think it makes him good enough. Spearing is an honest, combative, hard working player but I don't think he has what we need. The points about Lucas and Plessis are side issues. This might seem a tad harsh but I get the impression that people have built Spearing up into this potential first teamer because they have dug themselves into a trenchant position regarding a dislike of the manager's scouting policy. The truth is probably that there are issues surrounding the manager's scouting policy and Spearing isn't good enough.

I don't see how Lucas and Plessis are side issues when they've both been ahead of Spearing in the pecking order.

It's a side issue because of this:

a=not good enough

b=not good enough

c=not good enough

The fact that player a and b prevent c from getting a chance it does not make c good enough. If Spearing was a brilliant player that had massive potential, it would be a disgrace but the fact that they are all limited makes it a side issue on the basis that you are swapping one limited player for another. To me, it would be like complaining that Erik Meijer was keeping Sean Dundee out of the first team, had they been there together. Obviously from an hypothetical perspective.

I think people would have said or did say the same thing about Carragher not being good enough, Spearing's cameos in the champions league games showed he never looked out of place. In fact he made a lot more impact than what some have done over a succession of games. Hope to see him coming on when games are safe in the league and see him start in some Carling Cup and FA cup games next season.

As I said, I doubt Owen Brown did ban Chris, even if he wanted too, as I doubt he has that much power.

That wasn't the point, anyway, forget about it now

Just think a in future

As you are talking about real people and surely you must know how easy it is for lazy assumptions to be taken as truth.

Don't under-estimate the Clout Owen Brown has!

I don't think the Spearing and Carragher comparisons are valid. Carragher was allowed to develop because he was a good versatile defensive player, who often peak later in their careers.

Spearings cameo's against PSV and Madrid were decent, but there's a big difference between coming on in a dead rubber when the game is won, with the opposition demoralised, and being a lynch pin in midfield week in week out for a major club who demand success.

I would sell Lucas and promote Spearing. I think he can do just as good job and be fourth choice in that position.

I would also sell Dossena and Babel, unless we see major improvements, not forgetting Voronin and I suspect we won't be offering Pennant a new deal. Personally I would also sell Kuyt, but that is because I'd rather Benayoun being back up to a right sided player rather than Kuyt. I really think we need more craft than graft, despite loving the Dutch bugger.

If Agger also chooses to leave or we are forced to sell, then we might also need a back up centre back, unless one of our youngsters are ready to step and be back up.

I think it is clear we need a right sided wide player, we also need a back up striker and personally I'd like to see left sided wide player come as well.

Some would like to see a right back come, but I'm, happy with Arbeloa, Darby and Carragher as the three options. They are certainly not the reason why we aren't top of this league and I'd rather funds were spent elsewhere.

But ultinametly I think we should go for quality over quantity. That means two or three players, rather than five, six or seven.

I would sell Lucas and promote Spearing. I think he can do just as good job and be fourth choice in that position.

I would also sell Dossena and Babel, unless we see major improvements, not forgetting Voronin and I suspect we won't be offering Pennant a new deal. Personally I would also sell Kuyt, but that is because I'd rather Benayoun being back up to a right sided player rather than Kuyt. I really think we need more craft than graft, despite loving the Dutch bugger.

If Agger also chooses to leave or we are forced to sell, then we might also need a back up centre back, unless one of our youngsters are ready to step and be back up.

I think it is clear we need a right sided wide player, we also need a back up striker and personally I'd like to see left sided wide player come as well.

Some would like to see a right back come, but I'm, happy with Arbeloa, Darby and Carragher as the three options. They are certainly not the reason why we aren't top of this league and I'd rather funds were spent elsewhere.

But ultinametly I think we should go for quality over quantity. That means two or three players, rather than five, six or seven.

Yep. Can't see it though.

at the moment i would have lucas ahead or spearing as i think he is a better player, i like spearing, not sure if he is good enough yet, hopefully next season he will get a few more league games under his belt, maybe in games that have been won already.it's a simple fact if he was as good as lucas now he would be ahead of lucas

at the moment i would have lucas ahead or spearing as i think he is a better player, i like spearing, not sure if he is good enough yet, hopefully next season he will get a few more league games under his belt, maybe in games that have been won already.it's a simple fact if he was as good as lucas now he would be ahead of lucas

I think Lucas is the better player.

But I also think we could get a decent fee for Lucas which can be used on strengthening other positions. Spearing / Plessis between them can be foruth choice, which in my opinion they should only play if two of Mascherano / Alonso and Gerrard are injured or in Carling Cup.

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill
Don't under-estimate the Clout Owen Brown has!

I don't

But I also know he doesn't have enough sway to single handedly get a journalist banned

Corrrect,but if you've have the Bosses ear it goes a long long way!

Granted

I like to deal in facts, that's all

What fact?

It was an attempted play on Rafa's 'Facts' press conference.

That and to illustrate my disdain at some half truths and downright myths that have been peddled on here by certain posters