You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Back Advice

Rashid

Went to pick up something and I felt my waist go on me! I mean the area in between my buttock and the lower end of my back right on the spine. What happens next? Am I fucked for a long time? I can hardly walk.

Anyone else had it? Any advice or is it time to ring the doctor?

I slipped a disc lifting a carpet years ago and every few months or so I seem to get some lower back pain. I have been to the doctors about it and as I suspected (given my brother, mum and dad all did the same kind of thing) I have option of surgery but that leaves a small chance of paralysis.

So rather than take the risk I just put up with it. Its about breaking the pain cycle and getting moving. See your doc, get some anti inflamitaries (the ones I have are very good, but if you have any history of ulcers you may be advised to leave them alone) and painkillers if they let you have them. My doctor doesn't let me have any so I get co-codamol from the pharmacy as these will probably be the best pain killers you can get without prescription.

Rest up for a few days lying down or if you can walk about. As soon as you can walk, try doing so to avoid your back ceasing up. Keep on the move if possible, avoid sitting down or awkward postions for a few days and no lifting.

Happens to me quite regularly because I've got bad posture.

If its anything like I experience it feels that painful at first it makes you feel like being sick?

Anyway just take ibrobrufen, and dont lift anything or do anything too strenuous (like headbutting walls!) for a few days but make sure you keep mobile and it should ease off

I had physio recently and he gave me a good 'at home' exercise.

Lie on your back with your knees bent up, then swing your legs 10 times in the direction of the pain (always bringing them back to the centre) so your knees touch the ground, then do the same on the other side. And repeat as often as you get the pain.

It helped me, could be worth a try, but for professional advice get yourself to a GP -> physio - other suggestions (inc. mine) could make it worse.

Went to pick up something and I felt my waist go on me! I mean the area in between my buttock and the lower end of my back right on the spine. What happens next? Am I fucked for a long time? I can hardly walk.

All that bumming you've been doing, Rash.

depends how bad it is. I let a chiropracter sort mine out and my missus went to one after our doctor told her that she would need surgery. He sorted her out after 4 visits. A reliable chiropracter will not touch you if it does require surgery.

I suffered with back pain which was eventually sorted with surgery. I went through a lot of physio and the best thing you can do for it is to stay mobile. Go out for a walk or even up and down the stairs at home a few times if you're not up to going out. Sitting or lying down for long periods of time will only make the pain worse. Also i'd advise you see a doctor or physio, someone qualified before attempting any exercise's or anything else you've been told to do. You could end up doing more damage to yourself. Get well soon too, back pain isn't nice, i suffered long enough with it. You wouldn't wish it on anyone.