You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Lfc v arse fa cup semi final 1980 3 replays and the micheal thomas goal

BRAP

12th Apr 1980 Arsenal 0-0 Liverpool (SF) at Hillsborough

16th Apr 1980 Arsenal 1-1 Liverpool (SF replay) at Villa Park

28th Apr 1980 Arsenal 1-1 Liverpool (SF second replay) at Villa Park

1st May 1980 Arsenal 1-0 Liverpool (SF third replay) at Highfiel Road

I remember them as if they were yesterday I was an 18 year old scally and hitched to everyone, hisllborough a boring draw the highlight of the 2 villa games was king kenny scoring a last minute equaliser I ran on the pitch then and jumped all over him.

I also remember highfield road and I think it was brian talbot who scored the winner from a ray kennedy mistake god love him,the ball was going out for a corner and he tried to keep it in but put it back into Talbots path my heart was torn out

The most infamous one I lived in breck rd and me and the lads were going out at 12 noon on the lash, I got off work early to get changed when I got home our house was screwed bigtime they cleaned us out but my old cardboard kop season ticket was hid under the carpet.about 6 oclock when all was done and dusted the missus says go the match it will cheer you up.my heart was torn out that night to.

It aint going to happen a third time .

Yeah, went to every one of them myself. The M6 became very familiar over those few weeks. After the game at Coventry we were having a pint with some Arsenal fans when one said that we shouldn't feel too bad because we would win the league. I told him we win the league every season and we had wanted the double.

Those were the days eh? not content with winning the league.

I remember we were that good at home I would wish the team we were playing would score first to make a game of it.

Yeah, that was often said at the match. We just rolled forward with attack after attack until the opposition capitulated. The only time we lost was through complacency. In 1979/80 we had a goal difference of 69, I think that's still a record.

12th Apr 1980 Arsenal 0-0 Liverpool (SF) at Hillsborough

16th Apr 1980 Arsenal 1-1 Liverpool (SF replay) at Villa Park

28th Apr 1980 Arsenal 1-1 Liverpool (SF second replay) at Villa Park

1st May 1980 Arsenal 1-0 Liverpool (SF third replay) at Highfiel Road

I remember them as if they were yesterday I was an 18 year old scally and hitched to everyone, hisllborough a boring draw the highlight of the 2 villa games was king kenny scoring a last minute equaliser I ran on the pitch then and jumped all over him.

I also remember highfield road and I think it was brian talbot who scored the winner from a ray kennedy mistake god love him,the ball was going out for a corner and he tried to keep it in but put it back into Talbots path my heart was torn out

The most infamous one I lived in breck rd and me and the lads were going out at 12 noon on the lash, I got off work early to get changed when I got home our house was screwed bigtime they cleaned us out but my old cardboard kop season ticket was hid under the carpet.about 6 oclock when all was done and dusted the missus says go the match it will cheer you up.my heart was torn out that night to.

It aint going to happen a third time .

`89 I remember them running-out before the game and laying flowers at the Kop end. ( Nice touch ).

They were fresh as fuck ( Graham had taken them on a break to Majorca ).

We were Physically and emotionally shattered.

I remember the silence in the car park after the game and a girl breaking it

by sobbing hysterically.

I never want to feel like that again at the end of a game.

Lets get it right though. That was then, this is now.

They`ll be shitting themselves at the thought of facing us at Anfield.

Bring it on.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone think we would have won the league v Arsenal on the Friday if McCall hadn't taken it to extra time? 120 minutes in that heat, West Ham on the Tuesday then THAT GAME on the Friday. Must have taken it's toll, physically and emotionally especially after the events of the previous month. You bastard Michael Thomas.

Although I was only ten at the time,that game is my single worst memoryof a football match.I was crying uncontrollably.My Dad was trying to console me,but I could see how devastated he was too.The memories of that goal will always be with me even though I was so young.

It pains me now when thay play it on TV with the "Its up for grabs now" commentry on it.My blue shite mates at school used that line on a daily basis the twats

I never forgave Michael Thomas for that the cunt !!!

Anyone think we would have won the league v Arsenal on the Friday if McCall hadn't taken it to extra time? 120 minutes in that heat, West Ham on the Tuesday then THAT GAME on the Friday. Must have taken it's toll, physically and emotionally especially after the events of the previous month. You bastard Michael Thomas.

We were just dead on our feet at the end of that game. Nothing left to give.