You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Bolton Match thread

WaltonRed

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the new formation that we're using. It was class against Chelsea the other week, and then against Inter. At times in the Boro game it wasn't the best, but at other times we looked great.

The only issue I have is with picking Carra at right back. Finnan is injured but Arbeloa is fine so I don't see why he's done that, it doesn't make sense. This formation needs the full backs getting forward.

Apart from that i'm very happy with the team though.

Team is:

-----------Reina

Carra--Hyypia--Skrtel--Aurelio

----Mascherano--Alonso

Kuyt------Gerrard----------Babel

----------Torres

Yep that's how we will line-up. Rafa is obviously wary of the aerial threat from Bolton, hence why he has gone for Hyypia and Skrtel at the back.

The only issue I have is with picking Carra at right back. Finnan is injured but Arbeloa is fine so I don't see why he's done that, it doesn't make sense. This formation needs the full backs getting forward.

Maybe Rafa thinks he'll get another assist?

As for my thoughts, I think it's a decent enough selection, and if we fail to beat Bolton it won't be because of rotation or tactical ineptitude.

I like the new formation that we're using. It was class against Chelsea the other week, and then against Inter. At times in the Boro game it wasn't the best, but at other times we looked great.

I like it too. It does, however, seem to have confused those poor mites at Setanta, who seem unaware that we've been playing it for weeks.

The formation gives room for adjustments as well... we can change to 4-4-2 wuth Gerrard playing at right, and easily change it to 3-5-2 with, pusihing Aurelio up as a wing back...

The one question mark I have, is Carra at right back, even though it makes more sense on a difficult away match, than home against Sunderland. Arbeloa has also been out for awhile, and he was`nt convincing in his return match, so it may be that Rafa doest rate him at 100% yet...

Bringing him back slowly would be my guess. Better to play safe than rush him back.

I like that formation, but wonder how happy Carra is with it?

Given how poor Bolton have been recently and without Anelka, we'll win by a clear margin.

0-3. Torres x2, Babel

I like that formation and I don't give a flying fuck with triple pike how happy Carra is with it, because it's his job to play where he's picked. Would prefer Arbeloa, but I don't know the reasons behind Rafa not picking him. However, I trust him to have a good reason.

Team is:

-----------Reina

Carra--Hyypia--Skrtel--Aurelio

----Mascherano--Alonso

Kuyt------Gerrard----------Babel

----------Torres

Good team apart from Carra at right back which makes no sense. Kyut will be a passenger.

Bolton often play the long diagonal ball out to Davies when he drifts wide - Carra might be in at right back 'cos Finnan's easily beaten in the air. Good strong team, looks like Rafa's sticking with that formation and basic lineup.

Kuyt may not be the most technically gifted player in the world, but a passenger he is not. He never goes missing & is not a bottle job like Kewell.

OK maybe I've been a bit harsh. He gives 100% but he is simply not good enought to wear a Liverpool shirt and will contribute little towards the result. That said he's a million times better that other donkey Voronin.

The back line is set up how a lot of teams used to play it with one attacking full back and one more defense minded one who could play at CB (France used to play Lizarazu and Thuram for example).

If you have two really attacking fullbacks you leave the wings exposed, but with just one you're closer to Rafa's 'floating 3'.