You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

Annihilation

Alex Garland's 2nd film after Ex-Machina.

Utter mess of a film. Average sci-fi film at best.

Tries to hard to thought provoking.

Jennifer Jason Leigh was great though.

Save yourselves 2 hours of your life and avoid.

5/10

A 5/10 film is one to be avoided? What is a 2/10 or a 3/10 on that scale?

Two '90s films about the '70s.

Boogie Nights - By far the most accessible of Paul Thomas Anderson's movies and it's aged well since it's release 20 years ago. Feels sometimes like it's a movie built for a soundtrack but it's an enjoyable rise and fall story. 8.5 out of 10.

Dazed and Confused - Last day of school in '70s Texas and it's brilliantly evocative; it made me wish I was hanging out back then. Much like it's spiritual successor Everybody Wants Some!! it's just fun watching these characters go through their day. 8 out of 10.

Is Everybody Wants Some any good?

I've seen it compared to D&C (which I love) before but I thought the trailer looked awful.

I enjoyed it. It got off to an iffy start, it's a little overlong and it's got some poor gender politics but, like Dazed and Confused, it's just fun watching the characters hang out.

• Upvote 1

Can you recommend me something?

My favourite films tend to be quite gritty, and often dark:

A selection in no order of films I’ve really especially enjoyed are;

‘71

In the name of the father

Still the enemy within

The Martian

3 billboards

The guard

In Bruges

Ronin

The bournes (light relief)

John Wick (nonsense fun)

I’ve not watched too many new ones in the last couple of years, so hit me with some recommendations please if you will...

Ta

‘71

Still the enemy within

The Martian

3 billboards

The guard

In Bruges

Ronin

John Wick (nonsense fun)

I’ve not watched too many new ones in the last couple of years, so hit me with some recommendations please if you will...

Ta

Seven Psychopaths is directed by the same guy. If you've not seen it, you really should.

‘71

Still the enemy within

The Martian

3 billboards

The guard

In Bruges

Ronin

John Wick (nonsense fun)

Ta

Calvary. By the same fella who directed The Guard, brother of the In Bruges/Billboards director, starring Brendan Gleeson as lead.

Well worth a watch.

Into the wild.

Not quite as good as I remember from the first time but it was a good enough watch if a touch long.

7.5/10

The Way Back.

Escaping from a Siberian Camp by walking to India. Colin Farrell plus a few others including Floki from Vikings which drove me off my head for the entire film trying to figure out how I new that funny voice. Till it clicked.

Ordinary not special.

6.3/10

Eldest was unwell last night so had a late one. We watched War of the Worlds on BBC1, the Tom Cruise version. I told my lad the reviews were shit, I'd heard it was shit and it looked shit but he wanted to watch it anyway.

It was shit.

2 blank Tom Cruise stares into the distance out of 10.

You Were Never Really There

Very very intense, some very odd moments. A bit much for many in the audience. Phoenix is pretty good. Rawls from the Wire is in it and it's gory as fuck. 

Obvious comparisons to Taxi Driver, but I think I've worked out what it reminded me of - Ghost Dog. Also a bit reminiscent of Kill List - in that the hit man figure is a tool of righteous vengeance but also becomes the hunted.  Raw red meat.

8.5/10

Watched Lion last night, I'd bough the Mrs the book and thought we'd watch it together. True story about a lad who gets lost from home in India when he's five and is eventually adopted by an Australian couple. When he's an adult he uses Google Earth and eventually finds his real family again. Cracking film, I'd give it 9/10.

• Upvote 1

Watched Lion last night, I'd bough the Mrs the book and thought we'd watch it together. True story about a lad who gets lost from home in India when he's five and is eventually adopted by an Australian couple. When he's an adult he uses Google Earth and eventually finds his real family again. Cracking film, I'd give it 9/10.

Not normally the type of film i'd watch but got around to watching it a couple of weeks ago and really enjoyed it.

• Upvote 1