You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

Just watching Ghostbusters remake now. Seen it before but this thread has inspired me to revisit it.

Melissa McCarthy - Wouldnt

Kristen Wiig - Would

Kate McKinnon - Would

Leslie Jones - Wouldnt..too fat.

Acting was ok. What exactly am i looking out for with these female actors? I remember suspense got mentioned. Anything else?

Did they convince you in their designated roles?  Or was it a bit hammy?   I need to know because I'm seriously considering wasting two hours of my life by watching the Ghostbusters remake. 

Wow I seem to have triggered a few folk on here for giving a review of a flawed movie. It's not my fault it's racist and misogynistic, despite a 'sassy' female lead, blame the writer for clearly not understanding what he was portraying. Also, when did Peter Dinklage's star fall so far that he's only taking roles where he is constantly, and only, referenced by his height?

Get over yourselves chaps, you've been sucked in by the usual Hollywood Oscar hype machine.

You on the other hand have been sucked in by the alt-right arsehole language lexicon though mate, so I guess none of us is perfect.

• Upvote 1

Annihilation - I can see, though I don't agree with it, why Paramount panicked about this film, tried to alter it's ending, change the cut and sold it to Netflix. It's an odd film, very odd, that doesn't get much clearer above the level of ambiguous which was a problem at the box office and for mainstream audiences. Not that I'm saying you have to be smart to understand the film, it's just that a lot of people won't appreciate a strange sci-fi film that never explicitly tells you what's going on and has an open ending which is preceded by a very odd 5 minute sequence. I like the film's ideas, I like how it creates an otherworldly environment inside the Shimmer and I'll root for a movie that has new ideas rather than tired old cliches. I don't think everything it tried worked, I'm not sure Natalie Portman makes a convincing 7 year armed forces veteran (but she does make a more convincing academic) and I did like that her character was flawed, and some of the supporting characters are thinly sketched too, though having read the synopsis of the book it's not a surprise.

How much you like it depends on how much you like its ambiguity, which it has bags of, but it's cerebral sci-fi with some good ideas, well shot and I hope the fallout with Paramount doesn't damage Alex Garland's prospects of making more films because so far he's made interesting films so far. 7.5 out of 10.

• Upvote 1

The premises of Annihilation, the story and the ambiguity of the ending are all excellent. Exactly what a good sci-fi should be.

Different interpretations of the story are the indicators of a good movie to me and in that respect it is great.

The problems I have with it are probably because of the anticipation.

The casting and actual story telling are all over the place.

I can’t do NSFW tags on my iPad so will wait for a week or two till it is fair game to discuss the detail of the film.

Portman would get it mind if a bit skinny.

I liked Annihilation however other seems to have split viewers, I'd liken it to Arrival which I didn't enjoy much however in a world of remakes and reboots I welcome films that are at least having a go at something different, some may turn out to be great others may fail but I'd rather give them a go rather than a Ghost busters reboot.

Annihilation - I can see, though I don't agree with it, why Paramount panicked about this film, tried to alter it's ending, change the cut and sold it to Netflix. It's an odd film, very odd, that doesn't get much clearer above the level of ambiguous which was a problem at the box office and for mainstream audiences. Not that I'm saying you have to be smart to understand the film, it's just that a lot of people won't appreciate a strange sci-fi film that never explicitly tells you what's going on and has an open ending which is preceded by a very odd 5 minute sequence. I like the film's ideas, I like how it creates an otherworldly environment inside the Shimmer and I'll root for a movie that has new ideas rather than tired old cliches. I don't think everything it tried worked, I'm not sure Natalie Portman makes a convincing 7 year armed forces veteran (but she does make a more convincing academic) and I did like that her character was flawed, and some of the supporting characters are thinly sketched too, though having read the synopsis of the book it's not a surprise.

How much you like it depends on how much you like its ambiguity, which it has bags of, but it's cerebral sci-fi with some good ideas, well shot and I hope the fallout with Paramount doesn't damage Alex Garland's prospects of making more films because so far he's made interesting films so far. 7.5 out of 10.

That's pretty much exactly what I was too lazy to write when I watched it.

Darkest Hour

Conversely, Gary Olman's finest hour as he conjurs Winston Churchill and his promotion to PM with Hitler's Nazi hoardes knocking at our door.

The tension is oppressive at times but Oldman carries the movie on his shoulders throughout, effortlessly. Masterful and fully deserving of his Oscar.

8/10 Cracking film.

Covenant on Kodi

The Jungle Book (live action remake) 8/10

Really enjoyed that. Never really enjoyed the original when a kid, was always one of my least favourite Disney films so I wasn't really rushing to see this latest version. However, really glad I did.

Tons of CGI involved but done very, very well and emotion being captured very well. The boy who played Mowgli was great and all the voice actor choices for the animals were all pretty much spot on.

Glad I checked this out, very well made film.

The Jungle Book (live action remake) 8/10

Really enjoyed that. Never really enjoyed the original when a kid, was always one of my least favourite Disney films so I wasn't really rushing to see this latest version. However, really glad I did.

Tons of CGI involved but done very, very well and emotion being captured very well. The boy who played Mowgli was great and all the voice actor choices for the animals were all pretty much spot on.

Glad I checked this out, very well made film.

Funnily enough I watched this yesterday & didn't see the point in it at all. The original is a classic but this one just seemed like a Jon Favreau vanity exercise to me.

I did like the Bond-esque titles at the end though.