You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Racism in Southern America..

Stouffer

11 minutes ago, SasaS said:

He was tried for the second degree murder (same as the Minneapolis guy will be) and acquitted by the jury of his peers. The same PD rehired him in 2018.

They rehired him, then immediately retired him on a $2500 a month pension.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

They rehired him, then immediately retired him on a $2500 a month pension.

Shows how their justice system is corrupt from the bottom to the top. 

They look after their own.

I think the police enjoy a level of legal protection and if the defence can show there was a possibility the officer felt his life or lives of others were threatened, ("fearing for my life"), they walk. Mainly if there was some kind of weapon in play, in this case, the police thought the guy had a rifle, they probably couldn't have known it was only a BB gun etc. If a good lawyer can prove there was a split second where you can think someone is reaching for a weapon.  

2 minutes ago, SasaS said:

They look after their own.

I think the police enjoy a level of legal protection and if the defence can show there was a possibility the officer felt his life or lives of others were threatened, ("fearing for my life"), they walk. Mainly if there was some kind of weapon in play, in this case, the police thought the guy had a rifle, they probably couldn't have known it was only a BB gun etc. If a good lawyer can prove there was a split second where you can think someone is reaching for a weapon.  

John Oliver spoke about it being some kind of immunity cops and public officials get but its sometimes used to cover up murder and manslaughter alongside being awful at your job.

31 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

As am I, I’m actually pro police, in this country anyway I know little of other countries, I think they have an incredibly difficult job and get little or no support but you can’t be shooting and killing people who are running away mate, had he decided to turn heel and come back at them with a weapon then yeah, but not running away.

He was running away when he shot at them.

Theres another video doing the rounds of a cop arresting a nurse for not illegally taking blood for a patient.  Mental. She got £200k but was fucking terrified. 

There's quite a few interesting things going on with the American plod.

First, aren't the educational requirements relatively low? Plus the wages can be pretty high compared to over here, sure I read somewhere you could get about 85k a year in the LAPD. So you're probably going to get a few people applying who want to earn a good living but possibly aren't the sharpest tool in the box.

Also, I think their big metropolitan forces attract a lot of ex forces. I doubt there's many ex squaddies pounding the beat over here but I bet there's shit loads of ex marines and what not in the NYPD. One wonders how the academies deal with changing the mindset of being in conflict zones surrounded by people who might have guns to being at home, erm, surrounded by people who might have guns.

Also, in the rough arse parts of the city I bet it breeds a kind of 'band of brothers' mindset. We probably can't get our heads around what it's like to police the roghtest parts of, say, Los Angeles. They probably develop a "you can't judge until you've done the job" mentality and stick together for that reason. 

I remember Louis theroux doing a show in Philadelphia and it was very reminiscent of the wire. The police had arrested some bloke and it got hairy very quickly. You could see the copper's eyes everywhere, really on edge. Theroux commented to another copper how he seemed 'quite aggressive" when arresting people and he said "I never used to be, until my brother in law who's a cop got shot in the face." 

They need to do a really deep dive into every aspect of it, from recruitment and training to culture, plus also how they handle the psychology of what policing in certain areas, especially where people are heavily armed, can create.

8 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

There's quite a few interesting things going on with the American plod.

First, aren't the educational requirements relatively low? Plus the wages can be pretty high compared to over here, sure I read somewhere you could get about 85k a year in the LAPD. So you're probably going to get a few people applying who want to earn a good living but possibly aren't the sharpest tool in the box.

Also, I think their big metropolitan forces attract a lot of ex forces. I doubt there's many ex squaddies pounding the beat over here but I bet there's shit loads of ex marines and what not in the NYPD. One wonders how the academies deal with changing the mindset of being in conflict zones surrounded by people who might have guns to being at home, erm, surrounded by people who might have guns.

Also, in the rough arse parts of the city I bet it breeds a kind of 'band of brothers' mindset. We probably can't get our heads around what it's like to police the roghtest parts of, say, Los Angeles. They probably develop a "you can't judge until you've done the job" mentality and stick together for that reason. 

I remember Louis theroux doing a show in Philadelphia and it was very reminiscent of the wire. The police had arrested some bloke and it got hairy very quickly. You could see the copper's eyes everywhere, really on edge. Theroux commented to another copper how he seemed 'quite aggressive" when arresting people and he said "I never used to be, until my brother in law who's a cop got shot in the face." 

They need to do a really deep dive into every aspect of it, from recruitment and training to culture, plus also how they handle the psychology of what policing in certain areas, especially where people are heavily armed, can create.

It all comes back to guns. Always the guns. I can’t imagine people going to work every day being worried about getting shot, but at the same time thinking the second amendment is a good idea. 

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

It all comes back to guns. Always the guns. I can’t imagine people going to work every day being worried about getting shot, but at the same time thinking the second amendment is a good idea. 

That’s the massive issue no doubt about that, I think we have our gun laws spot on, 5 years for possessing one I think. How many other police forces are not routinely armed? I don’t know of any. Obviously there must be some.

• Upvote 1

I wouldn't worry too much about retired Marines. They're generally some of the most disciplined, well-trained people you could hope to meet. It's twats with very little training, very little leadership and oversight, and a giant ego that I'd worry about. I'd be surprised if that guy turned out to be a Marine. If he is, he'll be an extreme rarity, not the rule. 

2 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

That’s the massive issue no doubt about that, I think we have our gun laws spot on, 5 years for possessing one I think. How many other police forces are not routinely armed? I don’t know of any. Obviously there must be some.

Luckily our police don’t want them either.  Every survey comes back saying it’s a bad idea.  I don’t have an issue with them having taser though. 

49 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

As am I, I’m actually pro police, in this country anyway I know little of other countries, I think they have an incredibly difficult job and get little or no support but you can’t be shooting and killing people who are running away mate, had he decided to turn heel and come back at them with a weapon then yeah, but not running away.

While he was running away, he did turn and point the stun gun at them. I don't know what range those stun guns have but there seemed to be plenty of distance between him and the cops. 

5 minutes ago, Hank Moody said:

I wouldn't worry too much about retired Marines. They're generally some of the most disciplined, well-trained people you could hope to meet. It's twats with very little training, very little leadership and oversight, and a giant ego that I'd worry about. I'd be surprised if that guy turned out to be a Marine. If he is, he'll be an extreme rarity, not the rule. 

I agree. Andy Sipowicz, Harry Bosch and others are good examples. 

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

While he was running away, he did turn and point the stun gun at them. I don't know what range those stun guns have but there seemed to be plenty of distance between him and the cops. 

I think he actually fires it at the cop in question, no? That's what the news reported.

He missed, but IMO it's not a crazy over-the-top reaction on the part of the police officer to fire at him in that situation. It's certainly completely different to all the other police murders like George Floyd where the victim is clearly unarmed and not a threat. Not saying it's justified, but it's much closer to being justified than those others were.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

This is graphic, and I mean graphic, but it backs up what you say there.

Don't forget, it's graphic.

This is one of the most terrifying things I’ve seen.How is someone meant to hold it together with that fucking cunt pointing the gun at you shouting his head off?Whats the background to it?

8 minutes ago, Johnny Utah said:

This is one of the most terrifying things I’ve seen.How is someone meant to hold it together with that fucking cunt pointing the gun at you shouting his head off?Whats the background to it?

It was as close to an execution as you'll see.

The background is given in the video isn't it ?

28 minutes ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

I think he actually fires it at the cop in question, no? That's what the news reported.

He missed, but IMO it's not a crazy over-the-top reaction on the part of the police officer to fire at him in that situation. It's certainly completely different to all the other police murders like George Floyd where the victim is clearly unarmed and not a threat. Not saying it's justified, but it's much closer to being justified than those others were.

I don't disagree with that. 

25 minutes ago, Johnny Utah said:

I have difficulty watching that without struggling to breathe.

This is going to sound really wild but I have a personal experience that is very, very close to that (apart from the ending, obviously). I had almost forgotten about it but seeing the video on this thread has reminded me of it.

A few years ago, my family and I were traveling around the US together while I did some fundraising for the community development work I did in Siberia. We were driving to the West Coast and stopped at some small motel in South Dakota to spend the night in the middle of a long drive.

My wife and kids decided to go down to the pool to swim. I stayed in the room, planning to join them later. About 30 minutes later I walked out into the hallway to a wall, and I mean a WALL of machine guns. It looked almost exactly like that scenario in the video, only I was the guy on the other end coming down the hall. Cops shouted at me "what are you doing here? Who are you?" I panicked but managed not to look threatening, and thankfully none of them were trigger happy.

I showed my ID, explained that I was a guest in the hotel, and they told me "they said this floor had been cleared." That was the only explanation I was offered. Later we asked the hotel clerk what was going on and he said that the police had a tip that there was a drug handoff happening on that floor that night, so they staked it out. He apologised, said that they had meant to give us a room on another floor but due to a clerical error we were put on the floor that the police were going to stake out.

I wonder how close I came to dying that night. All it would have taken was for one nervous officer to open up and it would have gone down exactly like it does in that video. I am half-Hispanic, but I look white and I think there's a good chance it would have been different if that weren't true.

• Upvote 2