You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/11/2022 at 17:00, Paul said:

Everyone seen the five free albums on download from Sault? Go to their website and enter the password “godislove”. Available for five days from 1/11/22. 

These are amazing, by the way. 

Anyway, just popped on to say I saw KRS1 in town last night and he was brilliant. The perfect combination of slick and raw as he delivered all the hits. Clearly the real deal in every way.

He was supported by three local lads from Toxteth with some great beats behind them and also by DJ 279, AKA TLW’s pod host of old, Numbers.

I missed him last night (he jumped back on the decks as I got off early with it being a school night) but I chatted to him tonight. Was glad to hear things are getting going again for him (and everyone else in his line of work) after Covid. Shame I didn’t catch more of his set, because he started hot. 

Anyway, another good night out at a gig in town.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Forgot to mention that I saw BADBADNOTGOOD in Manchester at Albert Hall a few weeks ago. Got to be honest, I was disappointed. Obviously the musicianship was off the scale, but they barely played anything even remotely resembling a melody and were straying into prog rock style navel gazing rather than hip hop-influenced jazz, which is what their records suggest. They didn’t have a single vocalist with them either, which was really disappointing in the context of some of their superb link ups. Think this is the most disappointed I’ve been by a gig in years. 

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 26/12/2022 at 13:36, Paul said:

Forgot to mention that I saw BADBADNOTGOOD in Manchester at Albert Hall a few weeks ago. Got to be honest, I was disappointed. Obviously the musicianship was off the scale, but they barely played anything even remotely resembling a melody and were straying into prog rock style navel gazing rather than hip hop-influenced jazz, which is what their records suggest. They didn’t have a single vocalist with them either, which was really disappointing in the context of some of their superb link ups. Think this is the most disappointed I’ve been by a gig in years. 

Ah Paul that's disappointing given they are one of the groups I look out for. 

Just before Xmas I went to the jazz cafe to see Pete Rock and his Tour MC. Not bad but not amazing. The vibe in the place was decent but any half decent DJ could've turned up and done the same job. Best part was bumping into an old school mate and reconnected with him. The day before I was at Dingwalls which was great afternoon/ early evening.  Met Gilles and Patrick and had some other lovely people. 

• Upvote 1

On 10/01/2023 at 19:30, whtwht said:

Ah Paul that's disappointing given they are one of the groups I look out for. 

Just before Xmas I went to the jazz cafe to see Pete Rock and his Tour MC. Not bad but not amazing. The vibe in the place was decent but any half decent DJ could've turned up and done the same job. Best part was bumping into an old school mate and reconnected with him. The day before I was at Dingwalls which was great afternoon/ early evening.  Met Gilles and Patrick and had some other lovely people. 

Never been to Dingwalls or indeed any jazz club night. Would love to. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...