You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Maradona's passing

Well if we are comparing youtube clips of one of the best players of all time, might as well give the only other argument a go as well. Anyone thinking Maradona got an absolute kicking from defenders in the 80's should take a look at some of the stuff Pele got in this clip:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=KFgkzOSBA2s&mode=related&search=

I never really saw Maradona while he was still playing, so from what I have seen I'd say Pele gets the slight edge. More of a complete player, could do all the things Maradona could, but was a better goal scorer and could use his wrong foot, not to mention his head rather than his hand.

Well I saw Maradona but not Pele so I'm probably biased, but there's no way Pele could dribble or pass like Maradona. No-one before or since has had such balance and control as Diego. Pele was obviously a brilliant player, but I reckon Maradona had the edge in magic which makes him my favourite.

Well I saw Maradona but not Pele so I'm probably biased, but there's no way Pele could dribble or pass like Maradona. No-one before or since has had such balance and control as Diego. Pele was obviously a brilliant player, but I reckon Maradona had the edge in magic which makes him my favourite.

You mean Maradonna was on magic surely?

That passing clip is unbelievable. To play so many perfectly waited passes as if it was simple is amazing.

Definitely the greatest for me

Greatest player I've ever seen by a country mile.

But I could agree to disagree with the older generation in that Pele was the greatest. Impossible to separate them really.

ps: Why do utube vids always have a) such fucking awful music, and b) comments left by a group of complete mentals?

Read that in the book as well. They were in the 2nd division when they tried to sign him, although i don't think they really had a chance in getting him as the club he was playing for knew he would be worth a shit load if they held onto him.

Not sure about that. In the late 70's when he appeared for Argentina the story about Sheffield United surfaced. Harry Haslam (SU manager) had seen him a few years earlier but Argentinos Juniors wanted £200,000 for him. The Sheff Utd board wouldn't pay it and he signed Sabella instead.

Perhaps not quite as well, but he wasn't far away, and was a much better goal scorer. Pele is probably the greatest athlete to ever play the game, when he went to America to play they said he would have been a brilliant basketballer, they did some testing and his results were out of this world. He could jump through the roof and was as agile as a cat. He did every aspect of the game brilliantly, and that includes defending. He even played as a goal keeper for Santos and excelled due to his athleticism. He also took the art of shooting to a whole new level. I don't think there is anyone that was able to shoot as accurately and as powerfully off either foot as Pele. Scored from any and everywhere. Was also as good in the air as anyone you could name.

I guess it is more of a pick your type proposition. I suppose it is a bit like deciding between (on a lower level of course) Thierry Henry, or Kaka. That's taking the age factor out of it. If I had the choice between a 24 year old Kaka, or a 24 year old Henry, I think I would probably take Henry.

If you take a look at that Pele youtube I posted which is all clips from the Pele Eterno documentary, from about 5 minutes in, some of the high speed dribbling stuff I would say is just as good as anything I have seen from Maradona in the doco's and a couple full matches that I've been able to get hold of. I've seen the Pele Eterno doco as well which has a lot more. It's obviously different to seeing them in real life game in game out, but that's all most people have to go on. Both great players.

Guest TK-421
really hasn't got a right foot has he, not even to dribble with. what he could do with his left was magic thou'.

He's a glorified Riise. If Riise was Argentinian he might get the recognition he deserves.

he would've been considered most peoples greatest ever player only he was a cheating dirty little drug taking twat

That's all part of what made him so great. He's still a street-urchin, fuelled by bronca (his word, from his autobiography). An evil genius - you've gotta love 'im!

One great thing about Carradona ooops sorry, Maradona was, in the '86 world cup he made an absolute twat out of, according to the bitters, (before they became really bitter) "one of the best midfielders in the world" Peter Reid. Shut the morons up for about ten minutes.

Not sure about that. In the late 70's when he appeared for Argentina the story about Sheffield United surfaced. Harry Haslam (SU manager) had seen him a few years earlier but Argentinos Juniors wanted £200,000 for him. The Sheff Utd board wouldn't pay it and he signed Sabella instead.

Ah right, mad story though, would have been amazing if he'd have pulled off that signing(insert sex joke).