You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Alan Partridge

Total Longo

2 hours ago, Rushies tash said:

The character hit his high point with "I'm Alan Partridge" at the Linton Travel Tavern, and apart from a few sporadic laughs, went downhill from there.

Agree with the first part - I'm Alan Partridge series 1 was definitely the pinnacle, but Mid Morning Matters is more than "a few sporadic laughs" in my opinion - it's absolutely class. 

9 hours ago, DimReaper said:

Agree with the first part - I'm Alan Partridge series 1 was definitely the pinnacle, but Mid Morning Matters is more than "a few sporadic laughs" in my opinion - it's absolutely class. 

Yep, agree with that too - forgot about Mid Morning Matters tbh. What's tainting it for me is that I went to see him on his 'Alan Partridge and other less successful characters' tour and it was disappointing to say the least.

Obviously the best Alan Partridge was the original Radio 4 series.

I cadged a lift home from a rave where Orbital played - Christmas 1992.  The driver put a tape on of Knowing Me Knowing You, the one where he snorted cocaine with the French Formula One driver and was threatened by a cockney gangster.

I obviously thought it was real and spent the rest of the night going on about how the BBC needed to do something about it.

A couple of years later somebody told me about Alan Partridge and I tracked down the CDs.  "I'm sure I've heard this bef- .... oh, right...."

Anyway, they're brilliant, and his high point.

• Upvote 2

Watched this last night. There were a few laughs but as someone else mentioned, it was a bit forced. Just to many of those trademark gaffes. 

This one was classic Partridge.

I once stood up in front of a digger. Like the students who stood in front of the tanks in Chinaman square except instead of the Chinese communist party it was the local council wanting to build some sort of leisure centre. Well not on my watch.

• Upvote 2

I think what's posted here kinda mirrors the general reaction. Coogan will not be bringing Partridge back again imo.  Harry Enfield had the same thing with his characters. Brilliant to begin with , then went stale and the new ones weren't anywhere near as funny. In the old days without mass media unfunny cunts could make a career out of characters pulling parrot faces.

Partridge has had a fucking good run for his money. 

1 hour ago, magicrat said:

I think what's posted here kinda mirrors the general reaction. Coogan will not be bringing Partridge back again imo.  Harry Enfield had the same thing with his characters. Brilliant to begin with , then went stale and the new ones weren't anywhere near as funny. In the old days without mass media unfunny cunts could make a career out of characters pulling parrot faces.

Partridge has had a fucking good run for his money. 

Same with David Brent. Coogan has has a good run with Partridge.

5 hours ago, Rushies tash said:

Yep, agree with that too - forgot about Mid Morning Matters tbh. What's tainting it for me is that I went to see him on his 'Alan Partridge and other less successful characters' tour and it was disappointing to say the least.

I think MMM is really under-appreciated. It's better than IAP series 2 and I would put it close to if not on a par with KMKY. The one-off specials over the past few years weren't great though, albeit they weren't awful either. This latest show is in that kind of territory for me after one episode. 

4 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

Definitely. But, again, started a bit slowly. 

The bit where the nature/history/ex-presenter bloke got up to talk to the audience and AP ran over to geg in just as the bloke turned to head back to his seat was boss. 

Start was a bit slow but once hit its stride was boss.

The 'son of the head of factual programming' repeatedly as that other fella spoke was classic Partridge at his untactful best.

I think the beginnings are awkward because it's a strange concept for a show and it takes a while for him/them to settle into it from the off and us as an audience to do same..

Steered clear of the film and Mid-Morning Matters but gave these a go despite myself. This week’s in particular was painful to watch. 

First two series and Knowing Me Knowing Yule can take their place amongst the greatest comedies of all time, as can the original radio series.

Just doesn’t need to still be milking this, for me.

The corporal punishment scene was classic Partridge, I was pishing myself at that.

I've also developed a fixation on the co-presenter, I can barely concentrate on what they're saying when she's on-screen.