You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Kuyt is our Aimar

Guest MomotheMoFo

Guest MomotheMoFo

He might not have had the best of games today, but Kuyt is still an important player in this team. His work rate along with Bellamy really set the tempo of the team, ensuring closing down occurs through out the team. But what I think is odd that the media haven’t noticed is the position in which Kuyt is playing. He isn’t playing directly upfront he most often found in the gap between midfield and attack linking play, the ‘Aimar / Beardsley role’.

Rafa has said in the past there is not much difference between the 4-4-2 he has used at Liverpool and the 4-2-3-1 formation adopted while at Valencia. The difference is whether the second striker plays right upfront with the partner or slightly behind. I think recently the system has looked far more like 4-2-31 than 4-4-2. Certainly while defending Kuyt is deep and pressuring the opposition midfielders as well as front men. But when we have possession he is mostly found in the gap, where it is hard for him to be marked and picked up.

He might not have the technique or class of Aimar, Litmanen or Bergkamp but then again he scores more goals than most of them. But he is an unorthodox ‘link man’ who will create as well as score. He is a ‘link man’ who is suitable for the Premiership unlike the talented Aimar, who might lack the physical presence.

No one criticised Bergkamp for not scoring enough goals or not working hard enough. Kuyt scores, creates, makes space with his movement, links midfield and attack and is turning into an important player. I don’t think he should be judged by the amount of goals he scores this season, not that I think he will be. To me he is our Aimar, suitable for the Premiership, playing in a very similar role. Maybe Rafa has adapted his Valencia crushing machine system, by incorporating players more suitable to the Premiership.

Guest MomotheMoFo
Nah, he's playing as a front man, it's just that he covers so much ground he's often in deeper positions when he receives the ball.

His starting position is usually deep, he receives the ball when deep. Bellamy is right upfront and Kuyt is in 'the hole'.

When it comes to technique, don't mention Kuyt in the same sentence as Jari or Aimar. Dirk has got very good awareness though, I'll give him that.

I still have good faith in Kuyt and think he will go on to score a lot of goals for us. I also think he plays best with Bellamy, rather than Crouch.

Kuyt is ace, and he and Bellamy seem to be building up a good understanding. Dirk works unbelievably hard and he will get as many assists as goals, which I believe is what Rafa said. Didn't he call him the only '20-20' (goals and assists) player in Europe or something like that?

Guest MomotheMoFo
When it comes to technique, don't mention Kuyt in the same sentence as Jari or Aimar. Dirk has got very good awareness though, I'll give him that.

I still have good faith in Kuyt and think he will go on to score a lot of goals for us. I also think he plays best with Bellamy, rather than Crouch.

I think I said he doesn't have the level of technique that they have... but he is effective in that role. I don't think Aimar would be a great success in physical games away from Anfield. But Kuyt has the strength and character to be successful in this league.

It was Jol who called Kuyt a '20-20' player.

He might not have had the best of games today, but Kuyt is still an important player in this team. His work rate along with Bellamy really set the tempo of the team, ensuring closing down occurs through out the team. But what I think is odd that the media haven’t noticed is the position in which Kuyt is playing. He isn’t playing directly upfront he most often found in the gap between midfield and attack linking play, the ‘Aimar / Beardsley role’.

Rafa has said in the past there is not much difference between the 4-4-2 he has used at Liverpool and the 4-2-3-1 formation adopted while at Valencia. The difference is whether the second striker plays right upfront with the partner or slightly behind. I think recently the system has looked far more like 4-2-31 than 4-4-2. Certainly while defending Kuyt is deep and pressuring the opposition midfielders as well as front men. But when we have possession he is mostly found in the gap, where it is hard for him to be marked and picked up.

He might not have the technique or class of Aimar, Litmanen or Bergkamp but then again he scores more goals than most of them. But he is an unorthodox ‘link man’ who will create as well as score. He is a ‘link man’ who is suitable for the Premiership unlike the talented Aimar, who might lack the physical presence.

No one criticised Bergkamp for not scoring enough goals or not working hard enough. Kuyt scores, creates, makes space with his movement, links midfield and attack and is turning into an important player. I don’t think he should be judged by the amount of goals he scores this season, not that I think he will be. To me he is our Aimar, suitable for the Premiership, playing in a very similar role. Maybe Rafa has adapted his Valencia crushing machine system, by incorporating players more suitable to the Premiership.

I think that is a bit of a Rash statement

I'm very happy with the way that Kuyt and Bellamy's partnership seems to be working out. It makes sense that Bellamy should be a bit more advanced, since his pace when playing off the shoulder of the last defender will be telling, so Kuyt will drop a bit deeper.

I think Dirk will go on to be prolific for us as well. He hit the post yesterday and missed several decent chances. On another day he could have had a hat-trick. I feel he will still get 15-20 league goals and a similar amount of assists this season. And that won't be bad at all for a first season in a new league/country. Don't forget that as a team we didn't start scoring freely until recently, so Dirk's ultimate tally will be less than if we had hit the ground running.

Very happy with the partnership with Bellamy though. If this is Robbie's last season (resonable assumption, given likely cash influx) then it will take a very special striker to oust what now looks to be our first choice pairing. And Crouch is very useful to have around as well. There's not too many who can give us what he does, whether we are loaded or not.