You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Xabi Alonso: Welcome back to Anfield.

Elite

41 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

I'd be looking at the structure that is underpinning those managers rather than the managers themselves both for what they lack and how that translates to no consistent vision in the appointment of the managers.

The best example on that list is Arteta and he's the one who's had the most consistent structure above him during the last few years and on the pitch it's showing but even they had to go through a spell of restructuring the side and purging it of bad eggs/players who no longer bring value.

The hope is that the Edwards/Hogan and Hughes structure will bring that same level of security to any new manager and with them driving the appointment it should be a manager who has the same philosophy so we aren't lurching from one extreme to the other.

Fully agree with this. Said weeks ago that putting the structure and organization together, from the top, and getting the right people in those positions, is probably more important than who the next manager is. Which doesnt mean that the latter isn’t important.

2 hours ago, El Rojo said:

Fully agree with the Lijnders calls. He knows the club inside out and has been part of a great era for us. Deserves to be considered. 

It would be great for the next season promos.

Two Peps enter. One Pep leaves.

• Haha 1

On the surface, it seems like a sensible career decision by Xabi but I think it's actually a bad decision. 

We are a big club where he is loved and where he would be afford time, that's a rare thing in football.

He may have his eye on the Real job in a couple of years, but a few bad months there and your out on your arse.

3 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

His football, and it's his own ideas, is what makes him stand out. And you can just look at what Brighton were like last season to see. Stats and eye test.

He's the best candidate. People are slating  him this season but forget he lost Caicedo and Mac Allister and they've also had a bunch of injuries. He's also working with Danny fucking wellbeck up front.

He's got premiership experience, great tactically, plays modern football, high press/high back line. Hugely passionate and most importantly he will be hungry to succeed and.

He would be great working with better players and he's proven he can work with young players. I think the squad would welcome his fresh ideas and the fans would feed of his attacking style. I also think he's capable of adapting his system if things aren't going well and is meant to be brilliant on the training pitch. He's perfect for us right now as a low risk option.

50 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

I'd be looking at the structure that is underpinning those managers rather than the managers themselves both for what they lack and how that translates to no consistent vision in the appointment of the managers.

The best example on that list is Arteta and he's the one who's had the most consistent structure above him during the last few years and on the pitch it's showing but even they had to go through a spell of restructuring the side and purging it of bad eggs/players who no longer bring value.

The hope is that the Edwards/Hogan and Hughes structure will bring that same level of security to any new manager and with them driving the appointment it should be a manager who has the same philosophy so we aren't lurching from one extreme to the other.

Yeah agree with that totally - you still want a manager at the sharp end of all that though who ticks all or as many of the boxes you are looking for as possible and the reality is that at the very top level over last few years there really haven't been too many really outstanding managers being appointed by those top clubs.

On 23/03/2024 at 13:23, dave u said:

I'll add that if he does prefer Bayern then he's not the man for us anyway because he'd be taking the easy option and that would tell me he's not the man I thought he was. This job is perfect for someone with the ambition and balls to want to take it on. If Xabi doesn't take it this summer, he should never be offered it again.

It looks like he is the man you thought he was. Unfortunately. that's worked against Liverpool.

11 minutes ago, Street Preacher said:

On the surface, it seems like a sensible career decision by Xabi but I think it's actually a bad decision. 

We are a big club where he is loved and where he would be afford time, that's a rare thing in football.

He may have his eye on the Real job in a couple of years, but a few bad months there and your out on your arse.

True. But it may work in our favour.

Say he goes Real Madrid and scratches that itch next summer - he'll have a year of CL managerial experience with Leverkusen behind him, then he lasts say 2 years at Real Madrid picking up loads of really big club and top level managerial experience - they bin bag him because he does not win the CL and we pick him up then - a more experienced manager and one who won't be itching to go and manage Real Madrid or have them sniffing all round him every 5 mins....

And if he turns out to be totally shite at Real Madrid we have possibly dodged a bullet.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, an tha said:

True. But it may work in our favour.

Say he goes Real Madrid and scratches that itch next summer - he'll have a year of CL managerial experience with Leverkusen behind him, then he lasts say 2 years at Real Madrid picking up loads of really big club and top level managerial experience - they bin bag him because he does not win the CL and we pick him up then - a more experienced manager and one who won't be itching to go and manage Real Madrid or have them sniffing all round him every 5 mins....

And provided we don't appoint anybody good we would like to remain here or have any success over the next three seasons.

2 minutes ago, SasaS said:

And provided we don't appoint anybody good we would like to remain here or have any success over the next three seasons.

3 years is a long time these days.

Klopp's 8 year tenure is very much an outlier now. Of course if our new manager is doing great and winning stuff or looking very likely to then we don't have a problem, we don't need Alonso or anyone else and it will all have already worked out ok anyway won't it....

2 minutes ago, an tha said:

3 years is a long time these days.

Klopp's 8 year tenure is very much an outlier now. Of course if our new manager is doing great and winning stuff or looking very likely to then we don't have a problem, we don't need Alonso or anyone else and it will all have already worked out ok anyway won't it....

He may or may not be available in the future or may or may not want to come here or he may or may not be able to prove he is an exceptional manager, I'd say he may still be too young a manager for us to speculate how his future career trajectory may work in out favour, like he's a sure thing or God's answer to what we need after Klopp. He is staying in Germany, we are moving on.  

5 minutes ago, SasaS said:

He may or may not be available in the future or may or may not want to come here or he may or may not be able to prove he is an exceptional manager, I'd say he may still be too young a manager for us to speculate how his future career trajectory may work in out favour, like he's a sure thing or God's answer to what we need after Klopp. He is staying in Germany, we are moving on.  

Bottom line is that he isn't going to be our next manager yeah....So yeah we move on. It is what it is and frankly my gut feel is we will be fine. 

Xabi has turned his back on the club yet again so that should be the end of any management role for the club going forward. He's been given the opportunity of a lifetime but has turned it down so that should be the end of that. 

As far as I am concerned if you turned us down once that should be it. 

• Downvote 1

10 minutes ago, Leyton388 said:

Xabi has turned his back on the club yet again so that should be the end of any management role for the club going forward. He's been given the opportunity of a lifetime but has turned it down so that should be the end of that. 

Klopp turned us down too though.

5 hours ago, joe_fishfish said:

You might be right in Nagelsmann, Baz, hope you’re not though. He’s a dickhead, a German Brendan Rodgers imo.

I pretty much agree with that. I don't think he's that great and we have to realise that Klopp is head and shoulders the best German born manager in a while. The country of origin is not that important,more their ability as a manager.

18 minutes ago, Leyton388 said:

Bit harsh that.

6 hours ago, El Rojo said:

Myself and @3 Stacksare doing a limited run of De Zerbi ‘Making Liverpool Great Again’ baseball hats if anyone’s interested. 

Since they beat Manchester United in Mid-September, Brighton have played 12 away league games. They have won two (against Forest and Sheffield United) drawn three (against Everton, Palace and West Ham) and lost seven. I know they have had injuries but they have just 27 points from their last 22 league games. Have opoositions found him and his tactics out?

If they continue this run for the next 10 games they will finish in the bottom half of the table. That's where Potter had them. De Zerbi, and Brighton are "fortunate" that they had 5 wins in their opening 6 league games or he would be nowhere near any discussion about being our manager.