You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

Obvious reservations about the defence due to form/weetabix bodies but the midfield appears to have upgraded and the age brought down.

Hopefully the legs in midfield can ease the burden on the defence and help to mitigate risk of injuries to the defence. I am sceptical though.

Interesting to see how we use Gravenberch. Expect he was  linchpin of many a FM team on here. Initial youtube clip suggests he is extremely press resistant which is nice 

2 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Well, no, because it obviously did not depend on what Bayern or Fulham were doing.

Hold on, there is still time for it to be case yet.

"We flew him in under impression it was just a case of formalities our end then Bayern told us...."

2 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Great another midfielder then while we go into this week's game with our starting CBs both out. So one injury to anyone other than Robertson and either Robbo/Endo goes to CB or if Trent gets injured fuck knows. 

If they'd bough the defender they were looking for I'm not sure you'd have been any happier.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Megadrive Man said:

It's so annoying the way they are almost trying to make it happen.

It's far too late in the window to let a player like him leave.

It is laughable - even when one of them said LFC have said it is not happening and won't the presenter went 'ahh well they would say that, and money talks'....before they launched back into making out is likely.

Absolute cunts.

Just now, an tha said:

It is laughable - even when one of them said LFC have said it is not happening and won't the presenter went 'ahh well they would say that, and money talks'....before they launched back into making out is likely.

Absolute cunts.

Not realising that it would be bad for their beloved Premier League brand if yet another big name leaves.

29 minutes ago, aws said:

If we don’t buy a defender, then I expect Jurgen and his team are happy to trust Quansah to be good enough to be fifth choice CB. I suspect they know more about his ability than most. 

That is my thoughts as well. Preferably sign somebody, if we don’t, they are happy to go with Quansah. 

To be fair, the messages all summer was we wanted somebody < 23, to be 5th and learn the ropes. He fits the bill. 

13 minutes ago, John102 said:

Obvious reservations about the defence due to form/weetabix bodies but the midfield appears to have upgraded and the age brought down.

Hopefully the legs in midfield can ease the burden on the defence and help to mitigate risk of injuries to the defence. I am sceptical though.

Interesting to see how we use Gravenberch. Expect he was  linchpin of many a FM team on here. Initial youtube clip suggests he is extremely press resistant which is nice 

I think there's a decent chance our midfield "upgrade" will have been an exaggeration. We did bring the age down and added some technique, but there's a decent chance both Endo and Gravenberch won't be good enough. The good thing about the Europa League is that at least there will be a lower pressure competition where we can try to integrate those two. Plus cups.

But the biggest thing is until proof of contrary, we still don't have a long term 6.

• Upvote 1

Really exciting signing.

This kid was a super player at Ajax. He's got bags of ability and exciting to think what Jurgen will do with him. Crazy ability and potential in our midfield now.

Feel funny about this window. Our midfield is seriously exciting and young now, but our defence which should be a real lighthouse of experience, brains and cop on for the rest of the team is a bit of a clusterfuck. Feel like I'm committing a cardinal sin here and waiting to get torn apart by the forum, but Virgil is the most culpable. Trent has always been a mediocre defender who was looked after by Virgil, Big Bird, Fabinho, Gini and yes Hendo to allow his world class ability on the ball be a real positive. Now he doesn't have that support. Konate is a real plus and I'd be confident that Robbo will come good again, but Virgil looks like he's stopped loving defending. The easy thing is to blame the injury, but he was brilliant for nearly all of the season when we nearly did the quadruple. If he returns to even 75% of what he was, we'll look a lot more like ourselves back there. Right now, he scares the shit out of me. I'd love a really good centre half/right back and that's stopping it being a really exceptional window, but if we can build on this window in January, it's potentially a very exciting team.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I think there's a decent chance our midfield "upgrade" will have been an exaggeration. We did bring the age down and added some technique, but there's a decent chance both Endo and Gravenberch won't be good enough. The good thing about the Europa League is that at least there will be a lower pressure competition where we can try to integrate those two. Plus cups.

But the biggest thing is until proof of contrary, we still don't have a long term 6.

Depends what we're comparing Gravenberch and Endo to. If it's to our ideal signings then maybe not, but they're surely an upgrade on the gypsies, tramps and thieves we've shipped out.

I think Gravenberch is a 'wait and see' signing, it's really hard to make any definitive conclusions beyond that at this point. Obviously talented but doesn't stand out as what we need right now by any means, but maybe it was a deal too good to pass up. Kind of get the feeling that the club kept the lead warm all summer (in addition to Thuram and Kone) and decided they would pounce unless an irresistable and doable DM/6 signing could be made. Once it was clear there was nothing on the DM market they fell back on having a talented and potentially mouldable 8 who has a high ceiling.

Need a defender though, badly. 

8 minutes ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

Our midfield is seriously exciting and young now

My one concern about the midfield is that they're all very good, smart, technical players but to a man you can end any sentence praising them with 'Would be really good alongside a player like Fabinho".

Whether Endo is that player to tie it all together remains to be seen.