You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

2 minutes ago, Freddo said:

Sounds good then. If we want him then a minor niggle shouldn’t hold us back too much. 

You’d assume he won’t lose much fitness. He was injured on 29th June, so 5/6 weeks out. 

As long as no set backs, I’d assume he’d be 100% to play 90 mins come September. 

2 minutes ago, Remmie said:

I mean why are we, the forumites, wetting ourselves about release clauses? 

It’s probably more due to the ever increasing average age of posters, rather than release clauses per se.

Bladder weakness inflicted on the elderly is one of natures back heels in the bollocks. 

56 minutes ago, Remmie said:

What is this obsession with release clauses? The vast majority of successful signings under Klopp/FSG have been negotiated, why are we suddenly wetting ourselves about it just because we snared a bargain with Mac Allister and pulled the trigger on Szoboszlai?

I've asked myself that question also. Maybe the prices are so inflated now that the club feel some release clauses are better value, even if they have to pay them in one go.

2 hours ago, Megadrive Man said:

The problem with Sanagre and Doucoure is that both will end up missing games due to the Afcon. I'd avoid signing afcon players unless they are at Salah/Mane levels.

But wouldn't that mean we'd miss them even more?

1 hour ago, Remmie said:

I mean why are we, the forumites, wetting ourselves about release clauses? 

Because price trumps everything.

A players ability, apparently, is intrinsically linked to the cost to purchase him so while it's brilliant that we've signed Mac Allister for £35m imagine how much better he'd be if we paid £70m.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

43 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I've asked myself that question also. Maybe the prices are so inflated now that the club feel some release clauses are better value, even if they have to pay them in one go.

The answer is simple, the players we wanted had them, and they're becoming more common, in leagues where they aren't a requirement, as players try to insure they can make future moves unimpeded in exchange for signing new deals at their current club.

11 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

A players ability, apparently, is intrinsically linked to the cost to purchase him so while it's brilliant that we've signed Mac Allister for £35m imagine how much better he'd be if we paid £70m.

The people you’re poking fun at here don’t really exist though do they? Outside of the odd nutter on here or faceless Twitter accounts nobody actually thinks we need to spend £80m plus on every player. Even the likes of Beef Strog don’t believe this. At most they ask why we aren’t ever involved in the conversation for these players and it’s not an unfair question to ask of one of the worlds richest clubs when we’ve been told time and time again by well placed journalists that we no longer deal in uncut gems and are only interested in the finished article. Shit, even to the point we’re told there’s no players on the planet available that could improve us.

• Upvote 3

14 hours ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

You just wouldn't have faith in any of the associations not being turned by the money. Even the media would be turned. The governments well certainly ours would be easy to buy off.They seem to have a vision of using sport for their broader goals. 

You would have to worry about Mo being tempted in the next 12-18 months. Certainly, FSG would be tempted to sell imo. 

This really will feel like the end of the road for me in terms of football. Obviously, I'll still watch our games and big games with other teams at club or international tournaments, but possibly waiting for a Saudi club to take your best player every transfer window or one of their clubs knocking us out of Europe would be football dystopia.

As I said when historical clubs like AC can't keep their golden boy who was a huge boyhood fan from going to Newcastle, it's a preview of what is to come. It's been happening a while in fairness. At least, the Geordies are football mad people and they are historically a big club. The Mancs will be possibly bought by the Qataris. We may be next in a few months or years. They get influence in Serie A or La Liga and then they have Europe in their hands because who is going to buy a club off them. Football is linked to politics and people's opinions are changed by success. I have heard Newcastle fans defend Saudi laws on the radio. Laughable and horrific. At least, the ones who say they just want success at any price are honest.

Feel the same more or less. My oldest son i a massive Liverpool supporter, and he has kept me going for a few years, despite the whole thing turning into the sad state it has. He’s twenty now, and by the sound of it he may well fuck the whole thing off as well, he’s not very excited about the Saudi sporstwash/takeover either.

6 minutes ago, MOGLET said:

Personally dont care what a player costs, if hes good enough and worth the money, then high of low cost shouldnt make a difference. 

Andy Roberston is a case in point, what was he, £8M initial fee?

The problem is how do you decide if he's worth the money ? You have no money back clauses if you buy a turkey or some sick note, Being a decent player at the selling club very often doesn't translate into making an impact at another so not paying over the odds matters a lot to most clubs 

1 hour ago, TD_LFC said:

Horseshit. Price trumps everything with the owners more like. We wouldn't have Mac All-star if he was £70 million plus. or we certainly wouldn't have Dom in too.

My point has always been and never will change from this: Back the manager. We have a World Class Manager and we are one of the elite Clubs on the planet.

If he wants Bellingham, Mac Allister, Slob and Lavia because thats what he thinks will make us successful, go out and get them and give him the best chance of success.

If he wanted Harry Maguire, Conor Gallagher, Mason Mount and bloody Gravenberch, go and get them. It doesn't matter who the players are or the cost.

Instead, we spend like we are out shopping trying to feed a family of four on a budget. Thats what boils my brains.

"You can have the chicken dippers or have a dessert kids, but you cant have both"

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, magicrat said:

The problem is how do you decide if he's worth the money ? You have no money back clauses if you buy a turkey or some sick note, Being a decent player at the selling club very often doesn't translate into making an impact at another so not paying over the odds matters a lot to most clubs 

Thats where good scouting and analytics come to the fore. But I don't think its been there recently like it was previous.

7 hours ago, razor said:

The people who make guns are the worse than the people who kill people with them.  Ok.

I wouldn't be so quick to go for that line.  I'd go for a shared responsibility.  With a smidge more culpability placed on the people firing the guns into people's heads.

"Wasn't my fault I shot him, governor.  It was the fault of the people what make the things what I bought and used."

This is a very big topic of discussion that doesn’t belong here. If you’re interested in understanding how the devils on both sides operate I suggest you read Robert Fisk’s “ The Great War for Civilization”.

I do agree that it is a shared responsibility. I’m not taking sides, just trying to make the point that playing football in Saudi Arabia is not exactly crossing from the good side to the evil side. Anyone who thinks that needs to read more about how devils work in this world.

5 minutes ago, magicrat said:

Kieta.