You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Cody Gakpo - Welcome to Liverpool

Megadrive Man

5 minutes ago, Nelly-Matip said:

Definitely looks two footed. I agree. Ridiculously versatile too. He could be used as a winger, an inside forward, a number 10 or as the central forward. I wouldn’t be too surprised to see him playing that role sometimes, with Nunez wider on the left. Or the two of them switching positions in game. 

Possibilities. 

Many possibilities for us if we train hard.

33 minutes ago, HBenn said:

See Bascombe saying that they think he can play all 3 front positions. Didn't pay much attention to him during the WC but if the likes of Van Dijk think he is quality what is not to like? 

Great job by the club and the owners if we get this one over the line. On to midfield next. 

Spot on

40 minutes ago, The Midnight Rambler said:

Seems almost two footed from the YouTube clips, reminds me of Sadio how much he uses his left peg. Looks very versatile as he plays in totally different position for Holland as to PSV. Also a little excited about him taking free kicks, just so we don’t have to watch Trent miss the target consistently.

Yep agree with all that. Looks pretty good with his head, too.

1 hour ago, Tarwater said:

Don’t like him. Irritating name. And from what I’ve seen of him, I don’t think he’s better than what we have. Really hope this is not some mad push by Lijnders just because he’s dutch.

What we currently have is Oxlade- Chamberlain, or Fabio Carvalho to play on the left.

Im 100% certain that we haven't signed him because he is the same nationality as our assistant manager.

• Upvote 5

Didn't watch much of him in the world cup until Argentina game, where he didn't really do much. He was quite poor for all the hype in that game actually.

We need a quick player who beats people but more importantly releases the ball at the right time and see's the pass, I think this is what Diaz lacks quite alot of the time.

If he brings that to the table he'll be good for us. Does look at little clumsy at times in some of those YouTube clips though. But he does have, height, pace, strength on his side. 24 in the summer, he must have had a break through season fairly recently I'm guessing.

Interesting move by Klopp. He can't be too keen on the lack of pace Carvalho or Elliot offer as wide forwards, plus we did need to replace Divok and Minamino's goals

We should loan Carvalho out now to a team at the top of the championship or in the premier league if they agree to play him. Maybe back to Fulham, he needs games and to bulk up a bit. A switch to a 4231 makes alot of sense really for us. Think Carvalho/Elliot/Jones would all operate better as a 10 than any other option we have for them. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, an tha said:

I like it!

I think it would be a shrewd signing we don't have enough forward depth IMO - and with Firmino coming towards end of his career, Diaz and Jota with serious injuries (does anyone really think Diaz can just come back after about 6 months with such injuries out and be at it?) it offers us needed options.

Just seen a video with Owen and Wright talking about him. Owen going on about how excited he is because we are crying out for a midfielder??

15 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

We should loan Carvalho out now to a team at the top of the championship or in the premier league if they agree to play him. Maybe back to Fulham, he needs games and to bulk up a bit. A switch to a 4231 makes alot of sense really for us. Think Carvalho/Elliot/Jones would all operate better as a 10 than any other option we have for them. 

Love the way Klopp is willing to bring young players on. As we do that we need to become a little more ruthless with those spots. 

Nico Williams was a very good player, probably better than any of those mentioned here, and we sold him on.

I think the three you mentioned are very good players but are at the age where you cannot expect them to change much physically and all lack the strength and speed to make it at the very top. All will be decent PL players. Sell. Sell. Sell.

We look to have two transfer strategies. Pay a decent wedge for top players 23ish or roll the dice on 16 year olds. 

In the case of Ramsay and Doak - top 16/17 year olds.

1 minute ago, TheHowieLama said:

Love the way Klopp is willing to bring young players on. As we do that we need to become a little more ruthless with those spots. 

Nico Williams was a very good player, probably better than any of those mentioned here, and we sold him on.

I think the three you mentioned are very good players but are at the age where you cannot expect them to change much physically and all lack the strength and speed to make it at the very top. All will be decent PL players. Sell. Sell. Sell.

Can't see us selling any of them anytime soon unless they ask to go. 

All three could do with a loan move and playing every week. The issue i see more for them is they don't really fit into our normal 433. I think Elliot could develop into a really good midfielder and is stuck a bit at the moment as Fabinho legs are done and Thiago doesn't offer enough defensively to play with 2 lightweights in a midfield 3. For me its Thiago or Elliot not both. I'd like to see him get a run out in any cup games in Thiago position 

11 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Thiago doesn't offer enough defensively to play with 2 lightweights in a midfield 3. For me its Thiago or Elliot not both. I'd like to see him get a run out in any cup games in Thiago position 

I think Bajcetic is a far better prospect for that role - that is kind of my point.

Who would the third midflelder be if Fab - Thiago - Elliott is too lightweight?

2 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

I think Bajcetic is a far better prospect for that role - that is kind of my point.

Who would the third midflelder be if Fab - Thiago - Elliott is too lightweight?

I think thats the problem at the moment that the players we have outside of Fab for the 6 are all pretty lightweight or injury prone/getting on. I said elsewhere im not sure a Bellingham as the RCM is really going to fix the issues we have as he will leave Trent as exposed as he is now. A Gini type that did the dirty work out of possession allowed Trent to become the wide midfielder knowing he would be covered. Elliot cant do that and Hendo/Milner don't really have the legs anymore. I'd take Caicedo before him to be honest. We need a Kante type

3 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Jota and Diaz are back soon. We need midfielders. 

Thats assuming there are no setbacks and with Jota especially thats not really certain. 

We saw the bench today and Carvalho/Elliot isn't good enough especially with Madrid up soon and Diaz deffo not back for that and Jota is touch and go. We need rotation. But yes we need more than Gakpo

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Thats assuming there are no setbacks and with Jota especially thats not really certain. 

We saw the bench today and Carvalho/Elliot isn't good enough especially with Madrid up soon and Diaz deffo not back for that and Jota is touch and go. We need rotation. But yes we need more than Gakpo

20 minutes ago, an tha said:

Yeah we do need midfielders.

But we also needed a forward.

We have him now.....onto the midfielders.....

I'd use an emoji wink if I was that way inclined 

I hate to bring this up again but 3 years ago we had the best recruitment team in all of world football, we had around an 80% hit rate with transfers, everything we did was brilliant.

Now we've systematically dismantled that whole team and replaced it with Lijnders and vibes, as someone said on Twitter, and we're starting to see the effects. Gakpo is more or less fine, given the price, but it's a much bigger risk than we needed to take. Especially with the needs in midfield.

It must be said, however, that even if he's not completely brilliant, having the following rotation: Salah, Nunez, Diaz, Jota, Firmino, and Gakpo for the rest of the season must be one of the deepest forward lines in all of football history at a club side.

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

Sound if we’ve got him but the fear is it’s a hand job off FSG instead of a full on session. 

Just because you get a handjob, it doesnt stop you from a full tongue punch in the dirtbox. I want, no demand the full Ron Jeremy treatment.

• Upvote 1